Question about Service Charge

CruisingBears422

I am a First Time Cruiser on Norwegian. I understand that there is a service charge of $12.00 per person per day. Do you have an option of changing the amount? or instead of paying on your credit card paying cash?

Thank You.

its billed daily, so you can prepay cash on your account(when you board or anytime thereafter) or leave it on your credit card

its billed daily, so you can prepay cash on your account(when you board or anytime thereafter) or leave it on your credit card

I have the feeling that wasn't really what the OP was asking, particularly since the question also included "can I change the amount?";)

I suspect "pay in cash" means "tip directly" rather than paying the DSC.

To the OP:

The daily service charge of $12 per person per day provides compensation to more than just the people you see providing service directly to you such as room stewards and dining room staff. Support staff also participate in the service charge pool. It would be impossible for you to tip all these people directly. Also, with Freestyle dining, you will be waited on by many different people during the cruise and it would be next to impossible to keep track of all of them to give them tips. It's best to keep the $12 DSC in place and if you have a room steward or waiter who really provides "above and beyond" service, consider giving them a few dollars extra directly, above the DSC.

I've only been on one other cruise, Royal Caribbean and they let you choose what you paid for tip at the end and didn't just add it on... I was wondering if NCL did the same. If ask them not to just add it on and at the end I'll pay whatever amount that fit the service..

I've only been on one other cruise, Royal Caribbean and they let you choose what you paid for tip at the end and didn't just add it on... I was wondering if NCL did the same. If ask them not to just add it on and at the end I'll pay whatever amount that fit the service..

That's impossible to do since the DSC is distributed to many people you will not necessarily see directly providing service to you. Further, if you remove the DSC, the staff is required to turn in any cash they get directly and that money will be added to the service charge pool anyway.

You know that with "freestyle" you don't get the same waitstaff every day. Are you planning on tipping after every meal?

I am familiar with Royal Caribbean and if you opt for their version of freestyle ("your way" "my time dining" or whatever they call it) they require you to pay the tips (service charge) in advance.

I am a First Time Cruiser on Norwegian. I understand that there is a service charge of $12.00 per person per day. Do you have an option of changing the amount? or instead of paying on your credit card paying cash?

Thank You.

I think the answer you are looking for is yes you can waive the service charge and tip whatever you feel appropriate. The service charge is not compulsory.

However as mentioned on this thread and many many previous threads this charge is seen as the fairest way (not by everyone) to spread out your gratuities evenly.

Even though I wouldn't waive the charge I say each to their own, if you don't want to pay it don't.

Please be AWARE that you WILL be grilled by the front desk staff and perhaps an officer as to why the service is not up to the standards if you decide to lower your DSC. The staff will try to make you happy any way they can and you must give a reason (not just 'I don't feel like it') for any changes you make to the DSC. Many of us look in high distain upon the line of folks up at the service desk asking to change the DSC amount (just to let you know we DO notice!) Many of us feel the crew deserves each and every cent!!!!

Also keep in mind that the staff receives a list of those who have taken the service charge off their accounts. Also, your steward will be questioned as to why you were dissatisfied with the cabin service, and it will reflect badly on him/her. We were on the Gem in the Adriatic in May, and I was behind a couple who were trying to deduct their service charge --- they were really grilled re what was wrong with the service, or how they could expect to tip everyone who gave them service during the cruise, as mentioned above in this thread. They ended up just leaving the charge on. As an aside, people may not agree with the DSC, but it is the system in place to pay much of the staff's salaries. Stiffing them for anything less than a really good reason is not right ---- they work very hard to make sure you enjoy your cruise. You cannot possible tip everyone in cash who assists you all week long.

Here's the retired Army in me coming out. You pay for a cruise on NCL with full knowledge that it will cost $12 per day for a Daily Service Charge. It isn't a surprise once you board the ship. No one is sneaking it onto your bill. If it is a deal breaker, don't book on NCL. There aren't many NCL cruises that go to ports that no one else visits, so if it is that bothersome, just book another line. It really is that simple. There are about five hundred threads about the DSC and every argument from every angle has been discussed, rehashed, argued for and against, clarified, and then discussed some more.

Thank You.

Yes, it's freestyle, you can do as you wish. Incidentally, no one at the desk will grill you.....we spoke to many on our recent cruise on Gem who removed the DSC because they did not feel it was "worth it" and they all said it was a simple process involving completing and signing a form!

Yes, it's freestyle, you can do as you wish. Incidentally, no one at the desk will grill you.....we spoke to many on our recent cruise on Gem who removed the DSC because they did not feel it was "worth it" and they all said it was a simple process involving completing and signing a form!

That STRONGLY depends on the NCL ship you are on!! I have personally witnessed some rather stiff grillings (plus some rather rude cruise guests) while waiting in line (for other reasons) at the front desk on several of our NCL cruises!

To the OP: can you remove or lower the DSC? Yes. However, to me, it would require a fairly egregious set of circumstances. Also, the ship's personnel should be given the opportunity to rectify the situation. If, at that point, you are still dissatisfied, by all means do as you see fit. In my experience on numerous NCL cruises, I have never encountered service that would lead me to decrease or remove the DSC.

Here's the retired Army in me coming out. You pay for a cruise on NCL with full knowledge that it will cost $12 per day for a Daily Service Charge. It isn't a surprise once you board the ship. No one is sneaking it onto your bill. If it is a deal breaker, don't book on NCL. There aren't many NCL cruises that go to ports that no one else visits, so if it is that bothersome, just book another line. It really is that simple. There are about five hundred threads about the DSC and every argument from every angle has been discussed, rehashed, argued for and against, clarified, and then discussed some more.

Very well said.

But if folks don't comprende then don't have to pay... It's one of those "no one told me, I didn't know... and I even checked the the internet" things

I didn't know, so I don't have to pay this time

capisci?

Thank You.

not really, but what you can do is the last day or the night before pay the amount in cash to the purser and have it taken off your account.

Nita

sorry, I have to disagree with you. Maybe they didn't grill you, but many times they do. They want to know why you are removing the tips plus if you tip servers individually, they are required to put any tips in the pool if the person has removed the auto gratuity.

Now, I have to mention, the OP didn't say they were not intending on tipping, they wanted to know if they could do it is cash?

Nita

sorry, I have to disagree with you. Maybe they didn't grill you, but many times they do. They want to know why you are removing the tips plus if you tip servers individually, they are required to put any tips in the pool if the person has removed the auto gratuity.

Now, I have to mention, the OP didn't say they were not intending on tipping, they wanted to know if they could do it is cash?

Nita

This info is taken directly from the NCL brochure on the subject of service charge.

"NCL automatically adds a U.S. $12 discretionary service charge per guest per day for guests 3 years and older, to your shipboard account for all staterooms."

It goes on to inform how the service charge is shared among employees.

I think the key word is discretionary, if that is the case they cannot then "grill" you. Again as I stated in previous posts I agree with the charge but again I will say, you are not obliged to pay so if you don't want to then don't.

This info is taken directly from the NCL brochure on the subject of service charge.

"NCL automatically adds a U.S. $12 discretionary service charge per guest per day for guests 3 years and older, to your shipboard account for all staterooms."

I think the key word is discretionary, if that is the case they cannot then "grill" you. Again as I stated in previous posts I agree with the charge but again I will say, you are not obliged to pay so if you don't want to then don't.

Unfortunately, when everyone decides they don't want to pay the DSC, the cruise line will have to make it mandatory... Or lose all of their service employees...

Keep in mind if you do remove the DSC all of your cash tips end up being pooled anyway. Thus when you tip the ten dollars to anyone, they see a dime...

Leave the DSC as is, or adjust it for service, but never remove it to tip with cash....

and if you believe exactly what you read or interprit something one way I can not stop you, but beleive me, if you just go up to the pursers desk and ask to have the guatuities removed there will be question (at least on some of the ships) I know too many people this has happened to, it happened to someone on our last Princess cruise as well. The idea is to try and solve any problems before resorting to having the charges removed. No, you are not obligated to pay, but you are going to be questioned as to why you do not expect to pay.

Nita

Many of us look in high distain upon the line of folks up at the service desk asking to change the DSC amount (just to let you know we DO notice!) Many of us feel the crew deserves each and every cent!!!!

So you spend all that money on a cruise to go and sit by the service desk to see who has their DSC removed (and listen in on everyone's conversation at the service desk)? :rolleyes:

Oh brother!

I'd appreciate the source of information stating that cash tips must be pooled.

I always provide a very generous cash gratuity to stewards, butlers and concierge staff. I've never been told that they are required to pool these monies. Further, I can't imagine that they'd actually turn the $$$ over if they WERE required. How could that possibly be enforced?

I'd appreciate the source of information stating that cash tips must be pooled.

I always provide a very generous cash gratuity to stewards, butlers and concierge staff. I've never been told that they are required to pool these monies. Further, I can't imagine that they'd actually turn the $$$ over if they WERE required. How could that possibly be enforced?

Butlers and concierge staff are not in the Service Charge pool so no need under any circumstances for them to turn in the cash to the pool. The stewards are only required to turn in cash if the passenger pulled the Service Charge.

Archived