Getting Started on Windsurf out of Barbados

corriesnow

The paper work says that the windsurf sets sail at midnight. What time on sunday are you allowed to start to get on the boat? If its late sunday then its only a 6 day cruise mon-sat is this correct? And this brings the getting off the boat thing.. my flight isnt til the after noon whats the latest off the boat? any info thanks.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I'll be on the Windsurf cruise - first time cruiser! I was wondering whether it's worth getting on the ship early, or closer to departure time? If on early, is there anything to do on the ship? I was thinking of getting aboard closer to the departure time to spend more time on the beach/exploring Barbados. Any thoughts?

We always board Windstar cruises about an hour after the posted time. Let the early folks settle in. Then we can board, check in, get our luggage and take a walk around the ship. There's not much to do except maybe make restaurant and spa appointments, and rient yourself. the latter doesn't take very long. ut ut is good, especially for first-timers, to get a sense of where things are.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone recommend using Windstar shuttle to the airport or is it better to get a taxi on your own? We have a late morning flight, but not thinking we want to tour.

For two people at $35 a person you could probably save a little by taking a taxi. If there are more than two of you, you can save a lot.

I used the shuttle and saw no value from it. There were pleny of taxi's around at 8:00 a.m. in the morning. If you needed a taxi at 5:00 am it might be different.

Anyone recommend using Windstar shuttle to the airport or is it better to get a taxi on your own? We have a late morning flight, but not thinking we want to tour.

Usually, ship shuttles are very overpriced. We just take a cab.

We have a 4 pm flight after our cruise and noticed a transfer on Shore Excursions that takes you to a hotel for the morning, lunch and then a transfer to the airport. I think I read that right. Has anyone done it or is there a hotel offering a day rate. Otherwise, it could be a long day with luggage.

You will certainly want to check first, but when I went into Barbados on the Surf, it seems like there was a place to store your luggage for the day at the dock. Assuming that's still true, you could just look around the town on your own for a few hours and then catch a cab to the airport.

Roy

We just did that tour. there are actually 2 options. One is a Barbados tour on an air conditioned bus, whihc includes lunch and then they drop you at the airport. The other choice is to go to a hotel (through Windstar) and spend the day there. Since the ship docks so early, we thought the island tour was worth it.

If you can stand a beach that's a lot like Spring Break, the Boatyard is a $3 cab ride. $12 to get in, with free drink, chair and umbrella, but most importantly, they stored our luggage for us, and they had towels (for rent) and locker rooms and shower. We had a nice day on the beach and then took a cab to the airport for late flight out. You can contact them in advance to make sure they have the room for your luggage.

I'd check to see how many big ships are in port that day though, because this is a popular beach with ships' crew. It worked for us, but we were just looking for an inexpensive way to spend the day with a minimum of time roaming the airport.

We will be on the 1/30 out of Barbados on Wind Surf. We are actually arriving on 1/29. From what I am seeing, none of the rum factories (in particular Mount Gay) is open on Sunday. Is that true? Are there other rum factories that are open?

You might want to try st nicholas abbey. They have a tour of their home/gardens and rum tasting. The rum I believe is made on premises. I sent an email a while back and they said they were open for tours on Sundays.

I am hoping so anyway as I will be there this Sunday!

Anyway, try searching online or look up reviews on trip advisor.

Archived