Just off Glory and Noro Virus

texasnana

Oh no, we are going on our first cruise on Saturday the 23rd. Its a Carnival Glory Cruise to Nowhere". Sounds like the exact one that you said had the Norovirus.

I hope they get the entire ship wiped down before we get on. Are they supposed to tell us that this went on this past week?

Thanks

First timer and kind of scared......

What I was saying and is some people.....me for instance....have a terrible reaction to the hand sanitizers. The one poster said that you couldn't walk on the ship without the crew squirting it in your hands as you boarded and also at the buffet. I wash my hands with hot water and soap but refuse to use hand sanitizer because of the reaction

I refuse to use it also......I just wash....so when people get freaked out when they see people pass it up on the way to the dining rooms as I do it doesn't mean they are not clean........

My husband and I were on this sailing. He got sick but I did not. We are both very careful about washing hands and what we touch(I'm in health care). We were on a NCL ship last year that has an outbreak but they shut it down in 3 days. I was disappointed with Carnival's response. They didn't even try to educate people until several days into it. As a result many sick people were still out and about touching stuff. They did start serving at the buffet but people were still picking up their own plates and many other things until the last day.

The embarkation in NYC took 2 hours from curb to cabin. Our luggage beat us to the cabin. It was not well organized, spent way too much time standing in lines, it was hot and not enough seats. Didn't even know they had water and lemonade until we were boarding the ship. Finally got on just before the safety drill. Tried to get something to drink and were told had to wait until after safety drill. We went up aft for the sail away after safety drill but still couldn't get anything to drink. Bar was manned but told us we had to go forward to find an open bar until after the sail away. Finally took mercy on us and we got a glass of water. There also seemed to be problems with on/off in every port. Boston - 45 mins in line to get back on; Portland - 40 mins to get off; St John & Halifax 30-40 mins to get off even waiting til after the rush. Our cabin steward and wait staff were wonderful - especially while my husband was sick. The food was generally disappointing and often barely warm. Service in the dining room at lunch and breakfast was very slow. Tried to stay away from buffet as much as possible but staff had virus too. All in all not a good trip. I have another Carnival cruise scheduled for Jan/Feb but now I'm worried about it. Only other real problem we've had on Carnival was a cruise with 752 kids whose parents just turned them loose but can't blame all of that on Carnival. Hoping for much better in the future!!!

So sorry your cruise was not good. :(

Oh no, we are going on our first cruise on Saturday the 23rd. Its a Carnival Glory Cruise to Nowhere". Sounds like the exact one that you said had the Norovirus.

I hope they get the entire ship wiped down before we get on. Are they supposed to tell us that this went on this past week?

Thanks

First timer and kind of scared......

Why don't you try calling Carnival and ask about how the ship is doing this week. ;)

I got my flu shot yesterday, and the nurse told me that many people are currently coming down with a stomach virus - separate from the flu. This is in TN.

Please wash hands etc....

did they have staff next to those hand cleansers at the buffett?

I think those really help

everyone does stupid things sometimes, especially when they have been drinking and been in the sun

I like to see it when the cruise lines help people remember to do the right things

That's disgusting that some ppl don't wash their hands after using or being in the bathroom. A male family member told me that at ballgames when he goes in the men's restroom, the men are standing at the urinals peeing while drinking a beer and then they leave without washing their hands!! YUCK!!

Anyway, sorry to hear that you got sick, too. :( I hope you are feeling better!

Does anybody know if one of those face masks (in the style doctors wear) that you can get over-the-counter blocks scents? My body cannot handle the smell of bleach and it makes me physically ill, so if it was all over the ship, I'd be in DEEP trouble!! :o If I could pack a mask for the just in case, if it worked, then I'd be able to go around the ship without being sick from the bleach.

(I guess bleach is the cheapest stuff that will kill the virus so that is why they use it instead of another disinfectant? I have a spray bottle of disinfectant that kills even MRSA, but it likely costs more than bleach would in the quantities that the ships must have on hand.)

More then 75% of men do not wash their hands after using the bathroom. Come on guys admit it. The rates are high for women too but more pretend too, men don't usually bother to pretend.

More then 75% of men do not wash their hands after using the bathroom. Come on guys admit it. The rates are high for women too but more pretend too, men don't usually bother to pretend.

WOW!!! That is even a higher percentage of ignorance than I thought. No wonder Bush was elected twice.

You do know that the hand sanitizers do not kill the noro virus. They only kill germs. Washing your hands and watching what you touch and transfer to your mouth are the best defenses.

That doesn't make any sense. "Germs" is a generic term which refers to any microorganism which is capable of causing illness. Viruses, bacteria, and fungi are all "germs."

My husband and I were on this sailing. He got sick but I did not. !

Hear you on this! Not on this cruise ... but on HAL Veendam when Noro was so bad CDC came on the ship.

My DH got Noro but I did not! Certainly, I was very exposed. Our toilet facilities weren't working properly so I was with him in the bathroom the whole time and even slept in the same bed that night.

This happened with other couples ... one would get it the other would not. :confused:

Note: Interested because we have taken a B2B on Glory and have a Thanksgiving cruise booked on Carnival Fantasy. [

Found the following on the CDC website. It does not however, give a current update.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2010/october9glory.htm

What's on there is all you'll get. If when it gets to Virginia there is another outbreak there will be another report. Remember the Celebrity ship in Charleston this past winter? I think it was three reportable cruises in a row, first has over 22% the second had 10%, and the third has 22% yikes

Found the following on the CDC website. It does not however, give a current update.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2010/october9glory.htm

More then 113 were sick. These are only the folks that went to the doctor? i did not go so i am not in the numbers and probably many others. What do we get a free cruise? LOL... what will the CDC do?

More then 113 were sick. These are only the folks that went to the doctor? i did not go so i am not in the numbers and probably many others. What do we get a free cruise? LOL... what will the CDC do?

No you aren't in the numbers which is why they want anyone sick with noro type virus to report to the doctor. Thos numbers only reflect what the medical center onboard has reported as being seen by them.

CDC since it is over the percentage they board the ship to monitor the cleaning and also take samples to analysis (the report says all this). Many folks won't go to the doctor cause they don't want to be quarantined in their cabin so instead they roam the ship and spread it to others instead of keeping it contained

WOW!!! That is even a higher percentage of ignorance than I thought. No wonder Bush was elected twice.

This statement made me Laugh. Love it

But to ponder, we have a lot of "germs" on our body. We have an immune system to filter the bad from the good, and it learns. Those who did not suffer from a norovirus, probably had it already, in a mild form, so the body recognized it and could defeat it. I agree with the hand washing, but in recent times, we may have gone to far in killing the bateria, viruses, and germs. If our body has never fought them, then it cannot protect us from them. Polio, measels, etc were defeated because the vaccines introduced a small amount into our system in order for the body to learn how to defeat it. Same reason people can get the flu from the flu shot.

With all the sanitizers, cleaners, etc., the "germs" are not there for our body to learn to defeat.

That doesn't make any sense. "Germs" is a generic term which refers to any microorganism which is capable of causing illness. Viruses, bacteria, and fungi are all "germs."

Hand sanitizers will help with bacteria but will not kill viruses. Some food establishments do not provide hand sanitizers for food handlers because they can give a false sense of security and result in LESS handwashing. As stated, good personal hygine, including hand washing, is how you prevent the spread of Norovirus.

Hear you on this! Not on this cruise ... but on HAL Veendam when Noro was so bad CDC came on the ship.

My DH got Noro but I did not! Certainly, I was very exposed. Our toilet facilities weren't working properly so I was with him in the bathroom the whole time and even slept in the same bed that night.

This happened with other couples ... one would get it the other would not. :confused:

Note: Interested because we have taken a B2B on Glory and have a Thanksgiving cruise booked on Carnival Fantasy. [

This virus is spread via the fecal/oral route, not the air. So sleeping in the same bed with someone wouldn't necessarily expose you to the virus. Just being around someone infected, even in close quarters, doesn't guarantee you will get it. Their germs must make their way into your g.i. tract. That means, somehow in cleaning his...uh...infected body fluids, you get them on your hands and you touch or scratch your mouth or nose and the microorganisms are introduced into your g.i. tract via the mouth-to throat-to-esophagus and then to the stomach. If you were washing your hands frequently and avoided touching your mouth, you weren't really "exposed" even though you were spending a lot of time close to your husband.

What's on there is all you'll get. If when it gets to Virginia there is another outbreak there will be another report. Remember the Celebrity ship in Charleston this past winter? I think it was three reportable cruises in a row, first has over 22% the second had 10%, and the third has 22% yikes

I remember. We were thinking about one of those cruises, until the Noro thing went around SC. Makes last weeks 3% seem low.

I can't believe this is happening again. I hope it is eradicated before heading to Charleston. If it isn't, Charleston may ban the ship from entering the port. :eek: Either way, I worry about our health, and especially my parents.

I am confused. I thought you said you were not sick, and only your DH, or was that someone else. If you were sick, you should have reported it.

CDC monitors the sick ships and makes sure that preventive measures are being taken to stop the virus from spreading further.

I remember. We were thinking about one of those cruises, until the Noro thing went around SC. Makes last weeks 3% seem low.

I can't believe this is happening again. I hope it is eradicated before heading to Charleston. If it isn't, Charleston may ban the ship from entering the port. :eek: Either way, I worry about our health, and especially my parents.

I am confused. I thought you said you were not sick, and only your DH, or was that someone else. If you were sick, you should have reported it.

CDC monitors the sick ships and makes sure that preventive measures are being taken to stop the virus from spreading further.

That was someone else i got sick Friday night and we got off in the morning. What was i to do call doctor in the middle of the night? I did not see need to go to the ship doctor as i had medication i took and and got off as one of the first off the ship. Husband got sick when got home. I guess i need to email the CDC and tell them to add two the list?

I don't understand your point. I can understand that for many reasons there could be people who are sickened who for whatever reason are not able to report their illness. But the ship cannot know what is not reported, they cannot compensate people who don't report, and the CDC can only act on known illnesses.

That means, somehow in cleaning his...uh...infected body fluids, you get them on your hands and you touch or scratch your mouth or nose and the microorganisms are introduced into your g.i. tract via the mouth-to throat-to-esophagus and then to the stomach. If you were washing your hands frequently and avoided touching your mouth, you weren't really "exposed" even though you were spending a lot of time close to your husband.

You are probably very right on this!

While I did get many of his body fluids on me, I was constantly washing my hand in hot water with soap and wiping things down. As soon as the drain in our tub began working, I took a shower and double washed my hair. I put any clothers either of us were wearing at the time in the trash can and opened the balcony door to air things out a bit.

He was so sick that I could never have left him and fully expected to get it. Know he'd have done the same for me.

I don't understand your point. I can understand that for many reasons there could be people who are sickened who for whatever reason are not able to report their illness. But the ship cannot know what is not reported, they cannot compensate people who don't report, and the CDC can only act on known illnesses.

I guess i should have put LOL after the free cruise. I was just trying to put some humor into this post.

Y

He was so sick that I could never have left him and fully expected to get it. Know he'd have done the same for me.

Awwww...that is SOOOO sweet.

In sickness and in health, right?:)

I'm a nurse and love taking care of my loved ones. A part of me always thinks, "Gee, I wonder when the ax is going to fall..." doesn't change your actions, but you do kind of wonder when your turn is going to come.

Archived