Just off Glory and Noro Virus

texasnana

We just got off yesterday. By Tuesday i heard there were cases of Noro virus. That explains the cabin stewards wiping the walls down with bleach. They were serving you in the Red Sail. But to tell you the truth i can understand why. Folks using the toliet and not washing hands. Glad they had the towels you could use to open the door and throw away. I saw alot of sneezing.

Well i got it on Friday night after we had waves up and down all day. WAs sick yesterday and still today. When getting off the ship i heard there were 100 cases confirmed even customs men told us as they took one look at me and said you sick too. I know there were many more sick and did not have to go to ship doctor.

Please wash hands etc....

Can you tell my why I saw the Glory sailing past the Statue of Liberty yesterday at 1:30 p.m.? Shouldn't it have been docked first thing in the morning? I was at Battery Park in line for the ferry and when I looked up, it was sailing past. Later from Liberty Island, I could see the Caribbean Princess docked but no sign of the Glory.

We sailed the last New England/ Canada cruise of the season. It was going to Norfork for a few weeks and then down to Miami i think. I don't think it took on passengers in New york, which would be great so they could clean up the ship for the next passengers..

They did not have passengers scheduled to board on Saturday so they may have been clearing the dock for another ship to use it.

Were they going out to sea or coming back ?

We got off pretty early Saturday and the crew was looking forward to a day off !

O.K. checked the schedule, they were repositioning to Norfolk for a departure there today (Sunday) !

That's disgusting that some ppl don't wash their hands after using or being in the bathroom. A male family member told me that at ballgames when he goes in the men's restroom, the men are standing at the urinals peeing while drinking a beer and then they leave without washing their hands!! YUCK!!

Anyway, sorry to hear that you got sick, too. :( I hope you are feeling better!

Does anybody know if one of those face masks (in the style doctors wear) that you can get over-the-counter blocks scents? My body cannot handle the smell of bleach and it makes me physically ill, so if it was all over the ship, I'd be in DEEP trouble!! :o If I could pack a mask for the just in case, if it worked, then I'd be able to go around the ship without being sick from the bleach.

(I guess bleach is the cheapest stuff that will kill the virus so that is why they use it instead of another disinfectant? I have a spray bottle of disinfectant that kills even MRSA, but it likely costs more than bleach would in the quantities that the ships must have on hand.)

We just got off yesterday. By Tuesday i heard there were cases of Noro virus. That explains the cabin stewards wiping the walls down with bleach. They were serving you in the Red Sail. But to tell you the truth i can understand why. Folks using the toliet and not washing hands. Glad they had the towels you could use to open the door and throw away. I saw alot of sneezing.

Well i got it on Friday night after we had waves up and down all day. WAs sick yesterday and still today. When getting off the ship i heard there were 100 cases confirmed even customs men told us as they took one look at me and said you sick too. I know there were many more sick and did not have to go to ship doctor.

Please wash hands etc....

I am with you 100%...

I can't tell you how many times (sadly at least 8 out of 10) I use the washroom on a cruise ship (been on NCL, Carnival and Disney) and notice guys not washing their hands after use. Even after using the STALL if you get my drift...

Sometimes I make an off-sides comment and only get a muddled look...as someone in a health profession I can't emphasize how easy - and important - it is to do this is to prevent illness.

What can ya do...some people are low watt bulbs.

Inver

Does anybody know if one of those face masks (in the style doctors wear) that you can get over-the-counter blocks scents? My body cannot handle the smell of bleach and it makes me physically ill, so if it was all over the ship, I'd be in DEEP trouble!![/quote]

Surgical type masks do not block out all odors, especially strong ones, hence, the reason why I either pop a peppermint or use a little vicks before I mask up for periods where I know I will be masked for more than 5 or 10 minutes. The only type of mask that would be effective is an N95 rated mask, but it really needs to be fitted to be effective in blocking out any/all odors. It is also the ONLY type of mask to prevent the spread of airborne viruses, besides an actual NIOSH rated respirator. If it is the SMELL of the bleach that bothers you, pack a tin of Altoids with your masks. If it is a chemical reaction your body has to the bleach (ie: allergy), a mask won't help.

I always bring some handiwipes with me and the first thing I do in the cabin is wipe every down with it....doorknobs, handles, faucets, remote for the tv, etc.

I do it throughout the week also.

Additionally I make an effort to open doors with my shoulder or elbow to avoid touching handles. But, you are right...handwashing is the BEST way to stop the spread of these viruses. I try to carry some hand sanitizer with me, but I did notice on our last cruise that the waterless handwashing stations were all over the ship. I used one everytime I passed one. It may sound obsessive, but I can't imagine getting sick on a vacation that I have been anticipating for a year. That would suck.

Happy Cruising!:D

I too bring lysol wipes and spray on each cruise with me. It only takes 10-15 minutes of my vacation and to me it's worth it if I don't get sick. I wipe down all of the door knobs, counters, light switches, phone, and tv remote and then spray the whole room.

I do have a question about norovirus though? What exactly are the symptoms? Is it a stomach bug or a cold bug? Thanks!

As an FYI to Quampapetet and anyone else sensitive to bleach and chemical cleaners, please note that the ships (and port facilities) also use Virox - which is a chemical cleaner to disinfect against virus.

Not much you can do except try to remove yourself to an outside location until the smell disappates (DH has COPD and other health issues so we learned this first-hand unfortunately).

The good thing is that with the ventilation on the ship, the smell of the cleaners normally dissapates quickly.

Seems the Noro is starting early this year. :eek:

I am amazed how few people even use the hand sanitizing stations on ships.

I know...we use those every time we walk by one, plus I also bring the gel and wipes on cruises. I wipe down the cabin like the others are doing.

I think that Carnival should up it's staff to station crew at each bathroom and hand sanitizing station, and make sure everyone is washing!

Will be on the Glory with Shake-N-Bake 11/1 with elderly parents. I am really nervous for them.

And it's not just the hand washing either. One of my past cruises we got into the elevator to go to dinner first night and this woman was hacking and blowing something awful, I asked if she was so sick, why didn't she cancel the cruise and rebook another later ......... well besides being verbally slammed around the elevator she then said that she paid for this trip and was going sick or not!

So needless to say upon exiting the elevator I found the nearest restroom and wahsed my hands good and well and then made a quick trip to Lido for some hand sanitizer ......... luckily didn't get her bug, but you can imagine someone must have during that week :eek:

Usually when a ship is attacked with a nuro virus its all over the place.

This is the first I heard about the Glory being hit.

Does the Glory have the virus or is it speculation on passengers part?

If the seas were rough maybe many people were seasick.

I have to say on my first cruise with NCL the crew put hand sanitizer in your hands as you embarked on the first day and every time you returned from a port of call as well as at the food stations. They would not allow you to handle or take food until you used the hand sanitizer which was located right there. I was very impressed by that. I think if ALL the cruise lines did this there would be less of a chance of catching something providing, of course, the passengers did their part.

I have to say on my first cruise with NCL the crew put hand sanitizer in your hands as you embarked on the first day and every time you returned from a port of call as well as at the food stations. They would not allow you to handle or take food until you used the hand sanitizer which was located right there. I was very impressed by that. I think if ALL the cruise lines did this there would be less of a chance of catching something providing, of course, the passengers did their part.

If it is Monday and i am still sick and had to go to the doctor, i don;t think it is sea sickness. Doctor said it was a virus and probably noro virus. So i think it has to be an out break and i am sure hope it got cleaned up for the passengers on Sunday. I don;t think one would be suffering sea sickness still?

If it is Monday and i am still sick and had to go to the doctor, i don;t think it is sea sickness. Doctor said it was a virus and probably noro virus. So i think it has to be an out break and i am sure hope it got cleaned up for the passengers on Sunday. I don;t think one would be suffering sea sickness still?

I agree with you and that should be your first defense. The hand sanitizer just supplements that when you are out and about on the ship and in today's world is necessary.

I have only noticed it at the entrance to the dining establishments.....in which I never use because I always wash before I dine......

So if you see me walk on by it is because I used the real stuff;)

Archived