Port Canaveral and where to stay

finch12

We have a cruise booked out of Port Canaveral. We are flying into Orlando, renting a van and dropping it there. Looking for a little advise on where to stay before the cruise as well as any decent restaurants you may have ate at. We are 2 families aged 8 to 48..... what you did there that was interesting might be good too. If any one rented a vehicle and did what we are going to do.... tell me what rental agency you used and how that went for you. I am just a little concerned about the drop off of the vehicle and how to get to port

Thanks for the help

We rent with Budget or Avis because they have locations inside MCO airport and there are lots of discount coupons available online (I use the ones from BJ's wholesalers, but you can google for discount coupon codes for whichever rental agency you use). The Budget office is in Cape Canaveral, and the Avis office is in Cocoa Beach, but in reality they are just a block or two from each other, and just a mile or so south of the port. Both offer free shuttle to and from the port. (We usually drop off the luggage and the family at the port, and then one person returns the car and takes the shuttle back).

Closest to the port are Country Inn and Suites, and Residence Inn by Marriot. Both are relatively new hotels, and offer free breakfast. We've only stayed in Residence Inn, and highly recommend it!!! There is also a Radisson Hotel, but it is an older hotel and it gets mixed reviews on TripAdvisor for cleanliness, etc. These hotels are in Cape Canaveral. If you want to stay closer to the beach, there are lots of hotels in Cocoa Beach that you can choose from.

There is a Publix on A1A where you can pick up anything you might have forgotten.

The staff at Residence Inn referred us to a lovely inexpensive homestyle family restaurant that's popular with the locals (not touristy). We eat there every time we are in the area. It's called a NY Pizza House and it is located diagonally across from Ron Jon's surf shop. http://www.anewyorkpizzahouse.com/

Just a tip: We exiting the cruise, the porters will wheel your luggage to the curb where the rental car shuttles pick up, however there are no organized lines there, so those who came later are actually closer to the shuttle when it arrives, so they jump on without regard for those who have been waiting longer. Be aware of your place in line, and be ready to get onto the shuttle ahead of those who arrived later. The return trip is a bit more difficult because everyone gets onto the shuttle with luggage as opposed to one person dropping everyone off and then returning the car as we did in the beginning.

Things to do: Kennedy Space Center. We drove up to Daytona Beach once to go to Daytona USA at the raceway. You can just go to Cocoa Beach. If there are ships in port, you can go down to the beach nearby and wave to them as they leave.

We have a cruise booked out of Port Canaveral. We are flying into Orlando, renting a van and dropping it there. Looking for a little advise on where to stay before the cruise as well as any decent restaurants you may have ate at. We are 2 families aged 8 to 48..... what you did there that was interesting might be good too. If any one rented a vehicle and did what we are going to do.... tell me what rental agency you used and how that went for you. I am just a little concerned about the drop off of the vehicle and how to get to port

Thanks for the help

The car/van rental agency will shuttle you to the pier. You could drop the other people & all luggage at the pier and then return the van and only the driver would need to be shuttled.

Take a look at:

Counrty Inn & Suites http://www.countryinns.com/cape-canaveral-hotel-fl-32920/flcape

Rusty's http://www.rustysseafood.com/

Gills http://www.grillsseafood.com/

Fishlips http://www.fishlipswaterfront.com/

PS

I love fried grouper.

I recommend Country Inns & suites or Residents inn. You can almost see the ships from there and all the restaurants at the port are minutes away.. Grills, Millikans & Fish Lips are all great. If you do venture into Cocoa Beach, NY Pizza House has THE BEST pizza!! They just moved 2 blocks south and expanded.

We have stayed at Residence Inn and Country Inn and suites. Comparing costs helped us determine where we stayed. Like both, both include breakfast in their price. Both offer shuttle. We like to go to Grills or Fishlips. Enjoy your time.

I recommend Country Inns & suites or Residents inn. You can almost see the ships from there and all the restaurants at the port are minutes away.. Grills, Millikans & Fish Lips are all great. If you do venture into Cocoa Beach, NY Pizza House has THE BEST pizza!! They just moved 2 blocks south and expanded.

There are only a few restaurants and a gas station between them and Radisson. Not enough distance to make any difference. In fact you CAN see the ships from the Radisson, top floor, or from the street when they come in.

we have stayed at the radisson twice now. most of the carnival cc group cruises stay there. I don't think I would stay anywhere else. the pool and grounds are great. We always rent a car at the airport. most of the agencies drop off sites are within a mile or two. Hertz is between them and the port. the hotel does offer a free shuttle but fill up fast. If you rent a car I would just have them drop you off at the peir. For your return trip the rental cars tend to be a little higher in price. we used cocoa beach shuttle which gives a 10% discount to cc. It cost us $50 one way for the two of us. I believe the rate gets cheaper with more people. As for things to do. I personally think there is nothing but tourist trap shops there. however you can do the kennedy space center. We have went to Jetti beach both trips and watched all the saturday night ships sail from their peir. plentey of good resturants in the area. there is a mcdonalds across the street from the radisson and the radisson has a nice place to eat. There is a grocery store, CVS, & walgreens about a mile south as well as a wal-mart a little farther if you need anything you forgot or beverages.

We stayed at Country Inn and Suites and used their Park & Cruise package. They have rooms with a view of the port - great to wake up and have that view out your window. Some of the best service that we have received at a hotel and an adequate breakfast was included.

We ate at Fishlips and it was really good. It is on the ship channel so if you are staying on Sat night for a Sun sailing and can go early enough in the afternoon you can watch the Saturday ships sail from the deck there. http://www.fishlipswaterfront.com/

Grills is our favorite place to watch the ships sail out, as they have a nice deck to do so and the food is good, while still inexpensive. They also have "the boat follies"...and is always a treat to watch the fishing boats trying to load their boats onto the trailers after too many Budweisers. :eek:

If you like sushi, there is a really good sushi restaurant across the street from the Radisson, which is "Thai Thai III".

We stayed at the Radisson and loved the old timey way it was done. Ceiling fan and sleep number beds. $99 online rate allows free parking and/or free shuttle to the port.

We stayed at the Radisson all three times we've been to the Port...check out their website...nice pool!

Hello All

I'm going on FOS in June 2011 and I've been doing my homework on hotels. I'm a HUGE review reader. Cost is an important factor as well as the condition of the hotel. In saying that, I want a nice room but not an expensive room. I've noticed the rates were a fraction of the cost in Melbourne, Fl. Mapquest has the travel time to approx 30 to 35 minutes to the port. Anyone have any experience staying in that area? Thanks.

Our family is staying in Orlando as we are flying in on Saturday later in the day. We won't land until after 6 pm on New Years Day so we decided to get a hotel in Orlando and then take a shuttle down the next day. It was also easier as there are 8 of us traveling (19 to late 50's) and renting a van that would hold 8 and the luggage was expensive. We found a hotel (the Hyatt Place Airport) on Hotwire for less than 60 bucks a night and with 8 the coco beach shuttle isn't to expensive. We do have to be up a bit earlier the first day of the cruise, but we would rather get our bags, go to the hotel and get some dinner and get to be early than not even make it to our hotel until almost 9pm. It's another option for us, and it turned out to be much cheaper!

We stayed here last year , Laquinta , by the pier, on the beach . It was an old place they bought and revampted , pretty nice , they had nice breakfast , one night they had free beer and wine , social hour thing.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34145-d248222-Reviews-La_Quinta_Inns_and_Suites_Cocoa_Beach_Oceanfront-Cocoa_Beach_Florida.html

Hello All

I'm going on FOS in June 2011 and I've been doing my homework on hotels. I'm a HUGE review reader. Cost is an important factor as well as the condition of the hotel. In saying that, I want a nice room but not an expensive room. I've noticed the rates were a fraction of the cost in Melbourne, Fl. Mapquest has the travel time to approx 30 to 35 minutes to the port. Anyone have any experience staying in that area? Thanks.

Yes, we stayed at the Radisson in Melbourne. The hotel was lovely, recently renovated after suffering hurricane damage. It was also nearly empty so we had the use of the facilities (pool) almost all to ourselves. However, the beach there is NOT swimmable because of a reef offshore creating very rough surf and dangerous riptides. Also, Melbourne Beach is very residental, so there isn't much of interest around. (There was a Walmart and a House of Pancakes across the street, but that was about it). We drove up to Cocoa Beach each night for dinner, and it was kind of a long drive.

Yes, we stayed at the Radisson in Melbourne. The hotel was lovely, recently renovated after suffering hurricane damage. It was also nearly empty so we had the use of the facilities (pool) almost all to ourselves. However, the beach there is NOT swimmable because of a reef offshore creating very rough surf and dangerous riptides. Also, Melbourne Beach is very residental, so there isn't much of interest around. (There was a Walmart and a House of Pancakes across the street, but that was about it). We drove up to Cocoa Beach each night for dinner, and it was kind of a long drive.

Thanks Donna for the info. We are flying just after noon the the Saturday before. We are planning to visit the beach upon arrival. My main concern was the drive time. But cost is also important. The hotels are like twice the price @ CocoaBeach vs. Melbourne. Our cruise isn't until June 2011 so I have a few month to decide. Extended Drivetime+ no scenery= lower cost hotels. Minimal drive time+scenery= higher priced hotels.

Thanks Donna for the info. We are flying just after noon the the Saturday before. We are planning to visit the beach upon arrival. My main concern was the drive time. But cost is also important. The hotels are like twice the price @ CocoaBeach vs. Melbourne. Our cruise isn't until June 2011 so I have a few month to decide. Extended Drivetime+ no scenery= lower cost hotels. Minimal drive time+scenery= higher priced hotels.

If you're flying into Orlando,you might just be better off staying in that area,if you want a cheaper hotel than Cocoa Beach(even though I dont think they cost that much)........they dont call it Mel-Boring for nothing:p

If you're flying into Orlando,you might just be better off staying in that area,if you want a cheaper hotel than Cocoa Beach(even though I dont think they cost that much)........they dont call it Mel-Boring for nothing:p

Thank PH8. I never considered Orlando. Not sure why.

Thank PH8. I never considered Orlando. Not sure why.

Archived