Cordoba from Malaga?

cheffip

I'm in Malaga from 8 - 5 in early November and am considering my options. (I've ruled out Granada for this trip). One possibility is to take the train to Cordoba. The AVE and Avant trains only take about 1 hour which would likely leave me about 4 hours in Cordoba. Is that enough time? I'd like to visit the Mezquita, of course, wander through the Jewish quarter and have a quick lunch. On the other hand I've never been to Malaga either.

Thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Looks like no-one had done this so I'll reply to my own question and pass on my experience.

Our cruise stop in Malaga in November was from 8 am - 8 pm. I had visited the Alhambra previously so the idea of Cordoba was really intriguing.

It has the Mezquita, a World Heritage Site and one of the truly great places to visit in Spain. Once the largest mosque in the west, the Mezquita now has a 13th century cathedral in the midst of its hundreds of arches and pillars.

Cordoba also has a fascinating old town with winding lanes and intimate plazas and is less crowded and hectic than some of the other major Spanish tourist destinations.

Although inland, it's an easy trip from Malaga by train, with many connections each day by AVE and AVANT high-speed trains. The AVANT trains take 1 hr and 15 minutes vs the 1 hr on AVE but are half the price, 22 euros each way instead of 44. The train station is about a 30 minute walk from the port but easily reached by taxi or local bus.

All in all a great DIY day trip for anyone whose cruise stops in Malaga.

cheffip, Thank you so much for bringing this new service to my attention. I travel frequently to Spain and like to keep up with their ever expanding fast train network. I have been to Córdoba and indeed the mezquita is an impressive site. The town is pleasant. Having said that, I'm not sure if with an 8-5 stay I would commit to the train. It's doable, but it all depends if you are a risk averter (like me!). What's the next port after Málaga? If it's a Spanish port my answer may be different as my back up plan would be (if I missed the boat) to meet the ship at the next port.

cheffip, Thank you so much for bringing this new service to my attention. I travel frequently to Spain and like to keep up with their ever expanding fast train network. I have been to Córdoba and indeed the mezquita is an impressive site. The town is pleasant. Having said that, I'm not sure if with an 8-5 stay I would commit to the train. It's doable, but it all depends if you are a risk averter (like me!). What's the next port after Málaga? If it's a Spanish port my answer may be different as my back up plan would be (if I missed the boat) to meet the ship at the next port.

I was originally concerned about the 8 - 5 scenario too. As you say, doable but tight. However, there was a change to a couple of stops on the itinerary (Windstar) that allowed the captain to extend the stay to 8 am - 8 pm. With that change, I had several train options for returning to the ship and plenty of time in Cordoba.

Both the AVE and AVANT trains were sleek and comfortable and my day was more relaxing than the long ship's excursion overland by bus from Malaga to the Alhambra. Everyone I talked to was pretty worn out by that one!

Cheffip, thanks so much for your DIY description of Cordoba. I recently watched a Rick Steeves program on Andaluccia, covering Seville, Granada and Cordoba. The Mezquita in Cordoba was very impressive & quickly got added to our "must see" list. Now we need to find a ship that makes a long enough port call in Malaga to "risk" the train. Thanks again.

Cheffip, thanks so much for your DIY description of Cordoba. I recently watched a Rick Steeves program on Andaluccia, covering Seville, Granada and Cordoba. The Mezquita in Cordoba was very impressive & quickly got added to our "must see" list. Now we need to find a ship that makes a long enough port call in Malaga to "risk" the train. Thanks again.

I noticed that Grandeur of the Seas has a nice Spain itinerary with a long port day in Malaga (7 am to 8 pm). And Adventure of the Seas leaves from Malaga so a day in Cordoba before or after the cruise would be an option as well.

Archived