Santiago info, please!

debbeck

We are traveling by cruise ship to Spain in May 2011. One of our stops is Vigo. Even though Vigo looks like there are many beautiful sights to see, we are wondering if Santiago, which is an hour away might be the best of the locales not to miss in this part of Spain. Can anyone offer advice?

Well, what can I say about my city?. Without any doubt it´s one of the finest medieval cities in Europe, whose old quarter (about the 40% of the whole city) remains intact as it was in the past. If I could describe you in a few words, it´s poem in stone. It´s located on top of Libredom hill, surrounded by other seven (like other saint cities) giving you an entchanting mixture between art, coutryside, landscape and "savoir vivre". According to the tradition, it´s the shire of Saint James, and throughout the years, as you may know it´s the destination for hundreds of pilgrims, along routes which have left their hints in issue of art, traditions, and legends.

Nowadays it´s the capital of Galicia, all although it´s not as big as Vigo, it a medium size small city of a little bit more than 100.000 inhabitants. Although it´s considered to be the city with more parks in Spain, I think you will only have time to go arround the old town, visiting the Plaza del Obradoiro, the very heart of the old town, and probably one of the most beautiful in Europe, guarded by the imposing cathedral, the ancient council, the Fonseca Palace as the site of the former university (dated from the 1492) and the oldest Reyes Catolicos Palace, the oldest plateresque style hotel in the world formerly a hospital from pilgrims since the XVI century. You will have time to go around the four squares which surround the cathedral, and probably wondering around a little bit. It´s not much time to visit the dozen of old houses, palaces, convents, monasteries, museums and ancient squares, and streets of the city.

A cruising stay it´s just a kind of apettizer. The quickest way to get here it´s getting a taxi at the harbour, negociating the price (usually about 150 euros, return, with a waiting time of a few hours here). There´s a pannel with the prices at the exit of the cruising terminal. Although prices are fixed you could fight for a better deal. Other cheaper options would be getting a taxi to the station (20 minutes walk, going up may prove to be a bit exhausting), and get a train to Santiago. It´s about 90 minutes and there are hourly trains. For more information check at

http://www.santiagoturismo.com

http://www.renfe.es

Then, the old time it´s only ten minutes walk. In case you have any doubt do not hesitate in asking me again.

Hi Keltic, please, pretty please, I need your advice.

I cannot put money into my Spanish Vodaphone prepay phone from the UK. They say you can, but can't!!:D:D However, we are on the Indie on the 10th Dec and first call is Vigo. My luck, its a Sunday!! Would be wouldn't it? Question is, is El Corte open on Sunday? Or a supermarket near the port?

Which bus from the port to El Corte (if its open)?

Other option is to see if I can refill in the Canary Islands which is where we are headed. But it does seem to be different Vodaphone from mainland Spain.

So frustrating!! Hoping you can advise.

We are traveling by cruise ship to Spain in May 2011. One of our stops is Vigo. Even though Vigo looks like there are many beautiful sights to see, we are wondering if Santiago, which is an hour away might be the best of the locales not to miss in this part of Spain. Can anyone offer advice?

Keltic is understandably biased in favor of the beautiful city in which he lives. But as an "independent" voice, I want to second everything he has said. I have visited Santiago three times, always staying 4 days, and never get bored with it. IMO, it's one of the jewels in Spain and you should not miss it. In all fairness, I have never visited Vigo, but from what I know it doesn't compare with enchanting Santiago. What ship are you on? Maybe you could go to the Roll call and see if other passengers want to share the costs of a private tour. Do a "Search" here as I have seen people post names of tour guides that will pick you up in Vigo and take you to Santiago for a reasonable amount (if shared with others).

Yes, I fully and absolutely biased :-) And in love with my city. Anyway, all shops are closed in Spain on sunday, even El Corte Ingles. In Vigo, you have a shopping centre next to the port terminal, in which you have a vodafone retail, but it will be close on Sundays too. However there´s an option. El Corte Ingles, has a franchise called Opercor, which are open 24 hours, 365 days, and although it´s not a fairly big supermarket, has a little bit of everything.

I am not sure they have phone refills. They should. The closest to the port is at Rosalia de Castro Street at about 500 metres away.

Yes, I fully and absolutely biased :-) And in love with my city. Anyway, all shops are closed in Spain on sunday, even El Corte Ingles. In Vigo, you have a shopping centre next to the port terminal, in which you have a vodafone retail, but it will be close on Sundays too. However there´s an option. El Corte Ingles, has a franchise called Opercor, which are open 24 hours, 365 days, and although it´s not a fairly big supermarket, has a little bit of everything.

I am not sure they have phone refills. They should. The closest to the port is at Rosalia de Castro Street at about 500 metres away.

Wow thank you Keltic. Will try Opencor. I would imagine they would have top-up cards, even if you can't do it at checkout!! But its Spain, so who knows?:D:D:D

I would just like to "third" the recommendation for Santiago. A couple of years ago I spent four days in Vigo (OH at a conference). Although it is a nice city, there is little to see if you don't like shopping (which isn't great apart from the Corte Ingles store). Santiago is much more interesting and atmospheric. If you get a chance, drop in to the Parador which is right next to the cathedral, even if you only call in for a drink. It was built by Los Reyes Catolicos (Ferdinand and Isobella) in the 15th century as a hostel for the pilgrims who had completed the pilgrimage. It is a stunning building.

We visited Santiago from Vigo. We walked to the train station which was quite an uphill trek and took us longer than expected. Train journey to S de C was very easy and pleasant. We then had a further uphill walk to the Cathedral. In hindsight we should have taken a taxi to the station in Vigo. The return walk to the ship was downhill so very easy. Santiago was great and the we had a drink and snack at the Parador which is well worth a visit. They didn't fleece us pricewise.

I would love to see S de C & would really prefer a private tour (I think). Brendan of Guided Galicia has been snapped up by another group. So I have two questions: does anyone know of another reliable recommended tour operator? And, keltic, from the train station in S de C is it far and uphill? I don't do uphill well. Will that factor make it difficult to see S de C?

LvSUE

I think we may be on the same cruise. We are on HAL Eurodam May 12, 2011.

If you find a guide for the Santiago trip, please let me know! My husband and I would love to join you. The city sounds amazing and we would hate to miss it.

Thanks to all the nice folks here on cruise critic for the great reviews and suggestions. I am never disappointed!

Debbie Beck

There is one good reason not to visit Santiago on a cruise stop in Vigo...

Santiago is worth a "real" visit. If that is impossible for some reason, you should at least kinda sorta see it on a day trip off the ship.

Of the pilgrimage destinations in Europe, Santiago rates (imho) right up there with Assisi and far ahead of the others.

Next August, our ship stops in La Coruna rather than Vigo...

Any recommendations on how to visit from there?

Thanks...

From la Coruña is even easier to get to Santiago. They now have fast trains between the two, takes around 30 mins. Consult http://www.renfe.es for schedule.

You can also take a bus which takes close to an hour (make sure you get the express bus)

Go tu http://www.monbus.es for schedule.

From either the train station or bus station in Santiago it's approx 15-20 mins walking to the Plaza de Obradoiro (where the Cathedral is). You can always take a cab.

• 1 month later...
From la Coruña is even easier to get to Santiago. They now have fast trains between the two, takes around 30 mins. Consult www.renfe.es for schedule.

You can also take a bus which takes close to an hour (make sure you get the express bus)

Go tu www.monbus.es for schedule.

From either the train station or bus station in Santiago it's approx 15-20 mins walking to the Plaza de Obradoiro (where the Cathedral is). You can always take a cab.

Do you know if there is an English part of these websites? Unfortunately my Spanish is as good as my Chinese (none). Thanks in advance.

Theo

The bus website has no English. On the left hand side of the home page click on "horarios" (schedules). Then in "Origen" (Origin) click on A Coruña. Then in "Destino" (destination) click on Santiago de compostela. then select a "Fecha" (date) and click on "Consulta". You'll get the schedules with departure and arrival times.

• 3 weeks later...

We stopped in Coruna and wanted to see Campostela. Our port time was too short for us to feel comfortable doing it "on our own". So we took the ship tour. (We have only done about 4 ship tours in all of our cruises). It turned out okay. We saw the cathedral and had time to wander the side streets and shop. I highly recommend a trip to Campostela. We also got James Michener's book on Iberia and read the chapter devoted to his visit to Campostela before we went, which made it much more enjoyable when we saw the cathedral. Enjoy.

Archived