Let RCCL convert Canadian $ ?

Arrow Fan

I saw this in an earlier post but I cant find it now. What are the relative merits of letting Royal convert my charges from U.S. to Can. as opposed to having my credit card company to do it?

Make sure you tick off the box that says NO!

RCI will ding you a conversion and so will your credit card company - therefore you will be dinged twice! :eek:

Just let your credit card do the conversion and not RCI!!!!

check NO RCI will use an out of date exchange rate and it will cost you money. Your credit card company does charge a service fee, but you come out ahead. RCI makes money on this 'service' that they offer.

I agree with the posters above. Don't use RCCL's currency conversion and therefore tick "NO". However when you get your bill on the last day of the cruise, make sure they have not converted it anyway. That has happened to me several times. Unfortunately it means a trip to guest services on the last morning to get it corrected.

Don't do either if you can avoid it. You will save 5-10% by getting your USDs from your bank before you leave or using an ATM in the US that is associated with your bank back home so that you avoid the ATM fees.

I agree with this, a cash account will be the most economical.

I saw this in an earlier post but I cant find it now. What are the relative merits of letting Royal convert my charges from U.S. to Can. as opposed to having my credit card company to do it?

Bad bad move. Pay for everything in USD. One of the problems is that if you check the "C$" box onboard; all of a sudden, you pay the C$ rate for the shore excursions, which the exchange rates were worked out 5 yrs ago when the rate was closer to 0.75 not the 0.98 it is now. Any Canadian bank can get you a US$ credit card, that's my recommendation....

Archived