Anyone afraid of Mexico ports??

daisy7113

There have been bombings of clubs in tourist areas. A guy was just shot riding a jet ski. Mexico doesn't offer enough to risk my family's life. Good luck to the rest of you.

LOL! Do you know where that jet skier was:confused: Or better where he shouldn't have been?

I'm not sure how I feel about Mexico ~ besides we plan to visit Cabo, La Paz, Mazatlan, & Puerto Vallarta on the Spirit next year ~ and my DH is VERY excited ~ this was his pick for a vacation. We will use common sense, stay in very public areas, and take ship or well-recommended tours. I'm sure all will be well. :)

Having said that... the response we get from some friends, family, & co-workers about taking a cruise to this area is absolutely ridiculous! "You're going to get shot!" "It's too dangerous to go to Mexico!" Etc Etc Etc I try not to worry but it bugs me a bit... both about the possible danger level and and about the fact that so many people we know are so close-minded and believe every sensational, fear-induced news story out there! :confused::confused:

Columbia.. however... is a country I wouldn't want to get off the ship for.. others stop there every day and probably enjoy it... to each his own.

I'm not sure how I feel about Mexico ~ besides we plan to visit Cabo, La Paz, Mazatlan, & Puerto Vallarta on the Spirit next year ~ and my DH is VERY excited ~ this was his pick for a vacation. We will use common sense, stay in very public areas, and take ship or well-recommended tours. I'm sure all will be well. :)

Having said that... the response we get from some friends, family, & co-workers about taking a cruise to this area is absolutely ridiculous! "You're going to get shot!" "It's too dangerous to go to Mexico!" Etc Etc Etc I try not to worry but it bugs me a bit... both about the possible danger level and and about the fact that so many people we know are so close-minded and believe every sensational, fear-induced news story out there! :confused::confused:

Columbia.. however... is a country I wouldn't want to get off the ship for.. others stop there every day and probably enjoy it... to each his own.

The violence is bad in Mexico. But most people are ignorant of where the violence is taking place..............The just hear "Mexico"

The violence is bad in Mexico. But most people are ignorant of where the violence is taking place..............The just hear "Mexico"

Precisely!

People hear "violence in Mexico" and don't stop to think about where the violence is. Mexico is a large country. There is a lot of violence along the border. There is a lot of violence between gangs and between the gangs and government.

There is zero violence aimed at tourists. Unless those "tourists" happen to be involved in the drug trade.

You won't find me wandering the streets of Juarez anytime soon. You REALLY won't find me jet skiing on Falcon Lake. Look at a map - Falcon Lake is a LONG way from Cozumel, La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo san Lucas, or any other port city.

As the crow flies, it's 895.396 miles from Zapata, Texas (on the shores of Falcoln Lake) to Cozumel, MX. And that's if the crow flies straight over the Gulf of Mexico. It's even farther if you go by land.

If that same crow took a trip to Cabo San Lucas, it would be about 722.033 miles.

To put it in perspective: Would you avoid Medford, OR (a mid-sized, safe Oregon city) because there is gang violence in Los Angeles. I mean, Los Angeles is only 624 miles away.

I cant speak for all Mexican ports, but for Cozumel, and Costa Maya, I feel quite safe there, and that includes when I travel solo. I just dont go off in secluded places alone, ie; practice the same good sense you do in any travel destination or big city. Cozumel and Costa Maya remain a couple of my favorite cruise destinations.:)

DH reads the news constantly and says that people are getting killed all the time in Mexico. Am contemplating the Dream that stops in Cozumel and Costa Maya. Dh does not want to get off in these ports. I am just curious as to others experiences/thoughts about this.

Nope, not at all - just treated it the same as you would in the US. Always keep and open eye.:)

My first cruise is February 2011 and my biggest fear is that the border issue will be so out of control that they close all of Mexico off to tourists. On a lighter note though I feel pretty comfortable that if they stopped docking in ports of Mexico for the swine flu, they will not dock there if it becomes too unsafe for passangers. Like the old saying "you can die by getting hit by truck while crossing the street" look both ways while in Mexico and remember that it is a foreign country and take precautions just as you would while traveling anywhere.

I would not go because we have been there and did not love it and because a Mexican-American friend told us she would not go there (anywhere in MX) right now. That said, people report having a great time in Cozumel, etc. and seem to not report personal problems on cruises. It sounds like you have to weigh how much you want to see that area. It seems likely you will have a good time. [i don't really buy the "violence can happen anywhere in the U.S." argument because, of course, there is no way you'd want to end up in a Mexican hospital, jail, courthouse, etc. It's obviously not the same.] But, have fun -- it sounds like many people have enjoyed those ports and tell great tales when they return.

I would not go because we have been there and did not love it and because a Mexican-American friend told us she would not go there (anywhere in MX) right now. That said, people report having a great time in Cozumel, etc. and seem to not report personal problems on cruises. It sounds like you have to weigh how much you want to see that area. It seems likely you will have a good time. [i don't really buy the "violence can happen anywhere in the U.S." argument because, of course, there is no way you'd want to end up in a Mexican hospital, jail, courthouse, etc. It's obviously not the same.] But, have fun -- it sounds like many people have enjoyed those ports and tell great tales when they return.

You have been to all the Mexican ports :confused: What did you not like? Has your friend been to all these ports too?

If the Grim Reaper comes a callin' he'll be able to find me at Nachi Cocom.

LOL! Me too!

I'll be in Coz this Dec, from 8 am until 10 pm on the Liberty and I cannot wait! Nachi is where we'll spend the first half of that day :D

Archived