Anyone afraid of Mexico ports??

daisy7113

DH reads the news constantly and says that people are getting killed all the time in Mexico. Am contemplating the Dream that stops in Cozumel and Costa Maya. Dh does not want to get off in these ports. I am just curious as to others experiences/thoughts about this.

My philosophy is if you don't go looking for trouble, trouble won't find you. Make sure to stick to the tourist areas and don't go down any dark alleys! There are TONS of tourists getting off cruise ships in those ports that it is pretty safe. I wouldn't worry too much about it :p

There are a lot of threads about this in the port forums!

IF you read the news carefully the killings are all drug related.

There is a war going on between the drug cartels and the police/army in Mexico.

MOST of the probs are in border areas. There are still lots of USA citizens who have vacation homes and/or are retired in Mexico. They don't seem to have any problems there. We were on the Spirit down to Acapulco last year and are on the Splendor to Puerto Vallarte etc. this year.

I am actually quite sad that the Spirit will stop its Acapulco itinerary as I wanted to do that one every year. I really loved it!!

DH reads the news constantly and says that people are getting killed all the time in Mexico. Am contemplating the Dream that stops in Cozumel and Costa Maya. Dh does not want to get off in these ports. I am just curious as to others experiences/thoughts about this.

Unfortunately, your DH must have missed the news reports that say people are getting killed all the time in the United States.

The problems in Mexico where killings are making the news are all related to the drug cartels. The killings making the news are not happening in the areas where cruiselines and the tourist industry are most likely the primary source of income to the locale.

I'd suggest having a good chat with DH and go over the reports with him. Read the reports thoroughly together, maybe even getting Google Maps ready and look up the locations together.

I've been to Mexico, on both cruises and many, many land trips....always used best judgement and have never had any issues. My background in Mexico has been throughout the country, Pacific Side, Caribbean Side, Central and all along the US border.

Scariest thing I ever encountered was an oxcart loaded with people driving in a traffic lane on the highway outside Monterrey, MX, but that would be a whole different thread!

Best wishes!

I don't know if you can say there are no drug cartel attacks in tourist areas as definitively as most of you are making it sound. Yes, the tourist areas are less prone to violence, but not immune.

Take, for example, this attack on a disco in Cancun (clearly a tourist area, though not one the ship will visit) that killed 8 in August.

http://www.zimbio.com/Sinaloa+Cartel/articles/ZAt0MH5hxi7/8+Confirmed+Killed+Cancun+Bar+Attack

Nope, not a bit, Between cruises I go back to Mexico on week long land trips and have never had anything but a wonderful time.

this is the "DH"...

i saw a report couple of weeks ago w/ dead guy shot in the head lying on ground right outside the hotel/toruist area of Acapulco. there was an american killed in central mexico about 10 days ago.. the drug murders are all over mexico.. think it was last year they found a bunch of missing people from cancun in the jungle all dead.. innocent people are getting killed all the time down there.. just because someone is murdered here in the states doesn't mean i shouldn;'t be worried about traveling to mexico.. you can use that same logic when you plan your trip to Iraq or Afganistan.. not me!!

side note.. first time i went to mexico.. we stayed in Puerto Vallarta and then travaled to Mazatlan to stay for a week.. we took a bus that left after midnight.. at some point in the early morning the bus stopped and 4 guys w/ automatic weapons got on the bus looking for someone.. with 2 more guys with weapons in front of the bus.. needless to say anything could have happend.. this was back in 1993.

I don't know if you can say there are no drug cartel attacks in tourist areas as definitively as most of you are making it sound. Yes, the tourist areas are less prone to violence, but not immune.

Take, for example, this attack on a disco in Cancun (clearly a tourist area, though not one the ship will visit) that killed 8 in August.

http://www.zimbio.com/Sinaloa+Cartel/articles/ZAt0MH5hxi7/8+Confirmed+Killed+Cancun+Bar+Attack

This attack was in the old town of Cancun involving locals and not in a touristy area involving tourists.

We've been to Cozumel 7 times and have never been afraid. Never heard of anyone on the ship having a problem. Don't wonder off the beaten path and you should be fine.

If your husband is really worried you can just stay at the port where the ship docks in Cozumel. Lots of shops, a few bars and restaurants are right there and it is safe.

People are getting killed all the time in America, too! It happens everywhere!

That said, I don't like Mexico, and will not go and spend my money there...as long as you're not part of the Mexican Gov't, or the drug trade, you're as safe there as anywhere.

I am in the majority here, not something I am that concerned about. I am going about 5 miles from the ship in Cozumel, and Costa Maya is a very undeveloped area outside the port itself. Very few of the killings "in the news" from Mexico are random, or aimed at tourists, except in gang/cartel related battlegound areas, neither of which applies to Cozumel or Costa Maya.

this is the "DH"...

side note.. first time i went to mexico.. we stayed in Puerto Vallarta and then travaled to Mazatlan to stay for a week.. we took a bus that left after midnight.. at some point in the early morning the bus stopped and 4 guys w/ automatic weapons got on the bus looking for someone.. with 2 more guys with weapons in front of the bus.. needless to say anything could have happend.. this was back in 1993.

This is nothing new........this is the Mexican Army looking for drugs and weapons......for YOUR safety.........this has nothing to do with the drug wars going on today...

Archived