LIVE from the Sapphire Princess - Sydney to Los Angeles

Pia1913

Still here in Bora Bora with last tenders just arriving from shore. I’m sitting in Club Fusion waiting for trivia. I was sitting on my balcony when two doors down someone was smoking and I started choking. Had to get into a highly sterilized AC’d environment and this one is fine.

Nothing to report; just a lazy day after going ashore for probably no more than ½ hour. Mike always thinks he may have missed something, so we needed to go through the “stores” again. Actually he had to go through them. I waited outside. :D

I hate to say it, but I’m getting sniffly again with a dry little cough. Just put myself back on antibiotics. Coming up now are 4 sea days; my favorite part of cruising. Since I’m just babbling and saying nothing, I will leave you until tomorrow morning. :)

Pia;

Hope you get over those sniffles soon.....:):):)

Bob

Still here in Bora Bora with last tenders just arriving from shore.

I hate to say it, but I’m getting sniffly again with a dry little cough. Just put myself back on antibiotics. Coming up now are 4 sea days; my favorite part of cruising. Since I’m just babbling and saying nothing, I will leave you until tomorrow morning. :)

Pia: Around our house we are calling it the Aussie Flu. (Although I am fully aware that this is not any version of influenza etc ) You have it once and just when you thought you had tossed it away, like a boomerang, it comes back.

I hope that you get over this version of the nasty bug.

Enjoy the next few sea days.

Good Morning. It’s Thursday November 10th and we’re at sea. Weather is warm, seas are calm. I am sickish. Nagging little cough w/ sore throat; sort of stuffed head. My personal “hospital and pharmacy” is well equipped and I hope to get rid of whatever this is before it blossoms. Had soup and mashed potatoes for dinner and went to bed very early. It was a trial getting on the treadmill this morning but I managed to do almost a mile.

Our cruise director Richard will be presenting his fantastic lecture “Ships-Where are they Now? “ This is a real treat for those who have never seen it. Richard speaks almost nonstop for 1 ½ hours on ocean liners, today’s cruise industry and future trends in the industry. Talking about ships, Capt. Carlton will be leaving us in Honolulu and Capt. Nash takes over.

Also on Board today is another Pub lunch and another forensics lecture. This time it’s Murder in Marlon Brando’s House: Was it an accident, self defense or murder? The afternoon movie is Invictus, which will also be shown again at 10:00 PM. Comedian Don Ware in in the theater and Explorer’s will have a Classical Concert.

Gotta go. Hot coffee waiting. I know; should be drinking tea. ;)

Thank you, Pia, for taking us along on your voyage and sharing your thoughts and impressions. Hope your malaise does not last more than 24 hours. In any event, take care of yourself. Liquids, liquids. I'm very interested in the Marlon Brando mystery. What a tragic story.

Hi Pia...we just got home from being on the Grand for 14 nights. At least your ship did not have to divert because of Hurricane Tomas. We missed Turks :( and had a sea day instead. Have a lot of catching up to do as the internet on the Grand was soooooooo slow.

I heard rumor onboard that in 2011 there will be a 28 day round trip from L.A. to Australia and then back to L.A. Can you confirm this?

Hi Pia...we just got home from being on the Grand for 14 nights. At least your ship did not have to divert because of Hurricane Tomas. We missed Turks :( and had a sea day instead. Have a lot of catching up to do as the internet on the Grand was soooooooo slow.

I heard rumor onboard that in 2011 there will be a 28 day round trip from L.A. to Australia and then back to L.A. Can you confirm this?

I am not Pia, but I can confirm there is a 28 day RT LA on the Sapphire (Hawaii/Samoa/Tahiti) in October 2011. In fact, we are booked on it and the roll call has around 200 CC members signed up, so far. :) The cruise has been open for booking for quite some time now.

Sitting on my balcony enjoying the nice weather and balmy breezes; good for a while. Then the smoker emerged and I choked my way back inside. My dry hacking cough sounds like a barking dog. Just took a Cepacol tab and followed it up with a glass of wine. This too shall pass. Eventually. I hope.

Thanks to Toto I don't have to respond. :D Now to crawl into a corner and hibernate until morning. See ya..........

Hope you are feeling better soon! It's a shame you have to deal with smoke from the neighbors. That has only happened to us once but it was awful. I didn't realize how bad the smoke from another balcony could be.

Cheers, Denise

And then the lights went out. And then voices could be heard saying “just like the Carnival ship.” And other voices saying; “We’re gonna’ get a refund and a free cruise.” Guess again people. Seriously though, we were in the theater waiting for the comic to go on and suddenly the lights started to blink. And blink. And blink. And then……….complete darkness! It didn’t last long; generator took over, but no A/C. Captain came on to apologize, said there was an electrical disruption which he hoped would soon be repaired. Just a few minutes later we could feel the air coming on, Captain came back on and said all was fine. Such disappointment from those who expected “the whole enchilada.”

Good Thursday morning from somewhere at sea, where the weather continues to be wonderful and the seas calm. It’s so seldom we go to a show, and last night’s comedian Don Ware was very good. My cough is alive and well and doesn’t want to leave me, though I’m trying hard not to make it welcome.

Lots of stuff on board today, starting with 10:45 Veterans Remembrance Day ceremony, followed by a lecture; “Saving Lives in Haiti.” Afternoon bring the documentary movie “Oceans” and a Crossing the Equator ceremony at 3:00. In between all of this there will be 2 trivias, lots of games, tequila tasting, Bingo, line dancing and various meetings. Tonight in the theater is the production show “Do you Wanna Dance” and in Explorer’s instrumentalist John McDonald.

Ship is quiet now; even gym not getting much action. I wimped out with only ½ mile. I probably shouldn’t even be trying any kind of exercise. Not much of an appetite, but that unfortunately seems to improve after the first few bites.

See you later.

Good thing it wasn't just like the Carnival ship for you guys. You are in the middle of nowhere. At least the Splendor was close to land and could be tugged back to San Diego. FYI: they have all arrived safely now.

Best remedy for being sick - food. Eat lots! That's my cure for colds and the flu...LOL:D

Hi Pia:

We are on this cruise with you and I'm hoping to have the chance to meet! This is the first time I've checked in on your thread.... it's been fun to read. We are having a great time ourselves, especially the terrific snorkeling. Our roll call has had several fun events, with a great poker crawl and Tahitian Tea party.

Sure hope you are feeling better! :)

Best regards!

Added to say:

Six of us were dining in the Santa Fe when the lights started blinking and then went out completely. It was VERY surprising and a bit unsettling! The Captain was prompt with his announcements though, and that was good. :eek::eek:

Hi Pia:

We are on this cruise with you and I'm hoping to have the chance to meet! This is the first time I've checked in on your thread.... it's been fun to read. We are having a great time ourselves, especially the terrific snorkeling. Our roll call has had several fun events, with a great poker crawl and Tahitian Tea party.

Best regards!

Hi Julia,

Since we will be in the South Pacific next October I am interested in your comment regarding the "terrific snorkeling". Please tell me more, where did you snorkel and were they all tours, if so were they private or Princess excursions. Thanks for any and all info.

And then the lights went out. And then voices could be heard saying “just like the Carnival ship.” And other voices saying; “We’re gonna’ get a refund and a free cruise.” Guess again people. Seriously though, we were in the theater waiting for the comic to go on and suddenly the lights started to blink. And blink. And blink. And then……….complete darkness! It didn’t last long; generator took over, but no A/C. Captain came on to apologize, said there was an electrical disruption which he hoped would soon be repaired. Just a few minutes later we could feel the air coming on, Captain came back on and said all was fine. Such disappointment from those who expected “the whole enchilada.”

Good Thursday morning from somewhere at sea, where the weather continues to be wonderful and the seas calm. It’s so seldom we go to a show, and last night’s comedian Don Ware was very good. My cough is alive and well and doesn’t want to leave me, though I’m trying hard not to make it welcome.

Lots of stuff on board today, starting with 10:45 Veterans Remembrance Day ceremony, followed by a lecture; “Saving Lives in Haiti.” Afternoon bring the documentary movie “Oceans” and a Crossing the Equator ceremony at 3:00. In between all of this there will be 2 trivias, lots of games, tequila tasting, Bingo, line dancing and various meetings. Tonight in the theater is the production show “Do you Wanna Dance” and in Explorer’s instrumentalist John McDonald.

Ship is quiet now; even gym not getting much action. I wimped out with only ½ mile. I probably shouldn’t even be trying any kind of exercise. Not much of an appetite, but that unfortunately seems to improve after the first few bites.

See you later.

Pia;

Hope you are feeling better.....:):):)

Bob

Hi Pia:

Best regards!

Julia................where can I find you?

Archived