Hobbling along on SDI

JoAnne B

I'm surprised to be the first to post on our slooooow progress toward San Juan. That's probably because the internet has been tied up with folks trying to rearrange flights home.

The saga started at lunch yesterday, I think that would have been Saturday (the days seem so insignificant at sea) when the Captain came on the intercom and announced in a serious tone that he had important information. When he finally got our attention away from the shrimp platter and glasses of wine, he broke the news that we had engine trouble and would arrive in port about 1 pm instead of early morning. He assured all that a letter was being sent to the suite with the details on rearranging travel schedules.

By the time we returned to our suite the letter had arrived. No long discourse, but reassurance that documentation of charges for changes to flights should be sent to corporate, and that those requiring overnight accommodations would be put up in hotels and given a meal allowance. They were also advised to see the CD for assistance if necessary. Classy way to handle it....nothing vague, no waiting for information. Just "we'll take care of you. We have it under control, but safety is our first concern."

We had dinner up top, not terribly bothered by the intermittent spitting of mist. I guess at some point we should have noticed we were moving even slower and that we were lurching about in the middle of the night. By noon today we received the news that arrival would be after 3 PM, with disembarkation not expected before 4 pm. So much for the new flight plans. To make a long story short, many passengers will be spending the night in San Juan and flying out on Wednesday. It appears all has been arranged, from buses to the hotel to taking care of other details.

Not sure yet how this will impact clearing the yacht with the coast guard or boarding of new guests. I understand that the ship is less than a third full for the 5-day, so that will take some of the pressure off. Can't imagine that we'll really depart by 7pm, or for that matter if we'll depart at all. No mention has been made about any repairs once we reach SJU. Guess we'll go with the flow (no pun intended) in terms of changes to the itinerary. We were dreading the early wake up to check in with immigration. Part of the fun of a b2b was always getting to sleep late while everybody else was waiting for disembarkation. Now we all get to sleep late.

Anyway, I am very impressed with the way SD has handled the delay. Very professional and extremely reassuring.

Thanks for the live and up-to-the-minute reporting JoAnne B!

One of the things that has impressed me since we first sailed with SeaDream back in 2004 is the way they own the issue and step up and keep everyone in the loop. Not sure if any of you have followed the mechanical issue on the Regent CC board and how people felt about how that situation was handled.

I really dislike that early morning clearing of Customs and Immigration in SJU. Guess this is one way to avoid it:eek:

Here's to hoping that they do a double check of the mechanical systems on SD2 while she is in dry dock in the coming days!

Well, folks, we still anticipate a late afternoon arrival in SJU. We're waiting for an update to see if the 5-day is going to happen. Especially since there are less than 40 embarking. It's nice to have confidence that they will do the best they can to keep the pain down.

In the meantime, it is Caviar splash today, so we'll put any worries aside for a while.

Well, folks, we still anticipate a late afternoon arrival in SJU. We're waiting for an update to see if the 5-day is going to happen. Especially since there are less than 40 embarking. It's nice to have confidence that they will do the best they can to keep the pain down.

In the meantime, it is Caviar splash today, so we'll put any worries aside for a while.

Hope you are having marvelous time at the Champagne and Caviar Splash!

Glad to see your report on the SD2 Malta thread that the upgraded internet is working well on SD1! Interesting that it was a stateside issue:eek:

Have another glass of champagne for me please!

Hope every thing goes well with the repair and the next sailing. I can't even imagine how disappointing it would be to look forward to a SeaDream cruise and then have it cancelled! Keep us posted.

Can anyone confirm that the 5 day has been cancelled or not?

Host Dan

Just called Miami & they said my cruise on Oct 31st will depart as scheduled and that the 5 day will also depart later today. They said there was no engine trouble on SD 1, just a delay arriving into San Juan. Hummm.... Not sure exactly what's going on.:confused:

They also wanted to know how I had heard about this & I told them "Cruise Critic"

Just called Miami & they said my cruise on Oct 31st will depart as scheduled and that the 5 day will also depart later today. They said there was no engine trouble on SD 1, just a delay arriving into San Juan. Hummm.... Not sure exactly what's going on.:confused:

They also wanted to know how I had heard about this & I told them "Cruise Critic"

Very interesting... I guess the Captain was wrong?? ;)

Host Dan

My TA just called me with some updated info-

The 5 day cruise IS happening. The passengers have been put up in a hospitality area at the Sheriton Hotel. They will be served a very nice dinner at a local San Juan restaurant, and will embark at 9PM tonight. Whew! Good news!

Host Dan

Hi everyone! I just talked to SeaDream PR. They say the delay was caused by a malfunction of the portside engine, but that it will be completely repaired in port today and no cruises are canceled.

Today's departure will leave late, with embarkation around 9 pm, but it shouldn't impact the itinerary. All boarding passengers will be allowed use of day rooms and a hospitality suite at the Sheraton Old San Juan, and SeaDream is treating all passengers to dinner in San Juan, with boarding to commence following dinner.

Sounds like the cruise line is handling this delay quite well and making passengers are comfortable as possible.

Hi everyone! I just talked to SeaDream PR. They say the delay was caused by a malfunction of the portside engine, but that it will be completely repaired in port today and no cruises are canceled.

Today's departure will leave late, with embarkation around 9 pm, but it shouldn't impact the itinerary. All boarding passengers will be allowed use of day rooms and a hospitality suite at the Sheraton Old San Juan, and SeaDream is treating all passengers to dinner in San Juan, with boarding to commence following dinner.

Sounds like the cruise line is handling this delay quite well and making passengers are comfortable as possible.

Thanks for the update and clarification of what happened. Sounds like SD is on top of things - as usual:)

This validates both my SD and CC addictions!

Archived