AquaClass Dining

Wineart

I have not cruised yet, but I researched this a while back. From what I have determined, the answer is most likely you can dine in MDR, but you have to arrange it.

You have two options. First is Select Dining, for this you must prepay your gratuities and then you get to decide on a nightly basis what time you want to eat. My understanding is you can make reservations in advance, or show up whenever you are ready to dine within normal dining hours. However, the drawback to this you will be removed from Blu entirely. Of course, this assumes that Select Dining is available, on my sailing it is already sold out.

The second option is to wait until you are onboard and then speak to the maitre'd and arrange to move to MDR either on certain evenings or for the length of the cruise. I have seen threads (you can use the search function to find many previous discussions of this topic) by people reporting they had no issue dining in MDR as they wanted, and a few people who said they had trouble some nights. But overall, it seems it can be accomplished. Waiting until you are onboard may be leaving a bit more to chance, but then you will not have to prepay tips, and you could try Blu and if it is not for you then switch. From everything I have read, it seems Blu really is fantastic.

AQ guests get no priority at other specialty restaurants, only at Blu.

Your assigned dining room is Blu, not the main dining room. You generally cannot just go from one dining area to another. You MIGHT be able to speak to the maitre'd and see if you can get into the MDR one night, but if the ship is full, you won't be able to do that. Celebrity is doing a disservice to their passengers by giving them the impression that passengers can go from one dining venue to another. While some passengers have been able to book a night or two in the MDR, it's not generally done, as Blu is the dining room for Aqua Class. No one gets priority reservations in the specialty restaurants.

While I'm sure we would enjoy Blu, I'm not sure I would want to dine there every night. According to the Celebrity website, concierge class cabins get seating preference in the specialty restaurants, so I was curious if that applied to AQ also.

You can use the MDR anytime you want to, but Blu is so fantastic! We even had breakfast there before our excursions and we were always treated like royalty. I don't think it gives you privileged access to specialty restaurants, but AQ dining is THE BEST.

Just off Equinox a week ago Today, and miss Blu terribly. We met so many nice people there and the service is several notches above the MDR.

The wait staff will do almost anything for you. The room was usually about 1/2 full every time we went, so plenty of waiters. If you don't see what you want on the menu, just ask, and they will make every effort to get you whatever you want.

If you see an appetizer you want as a main dish, just ask. In the MDR, they would just bring you two of the appetizers, but in Blu the plate was arranged with field greens and about 3 portions of the appetizer (sea scallops) artfully arranged in the greens. YUM... sigh...

I've heard people don't like the deserts, well ask for apple pie a la mode or warm choc brownie with sauce--no prob.

Enjoy!!

There is another thread here that talks about this very subject. I wrote about my sister & BIL who recently returned from their 2nd AQ cruise.

In Blu they were encouraged by their waiters (on both cruises) to order something from the MDR menu if they couldn't find something they liked on the Blu menu. My BIL liked being able to get appetizers and entrees from the MDR while eating in Blu, and my sister liked the desserts. On their 1st cruise they never even asked if this could be done,but the waiter noticed that my BIL didn't seem to want anything on the Blu menu the 1st night and offered anything from the MDR menu.

Now on the other thread some mentioned that this isn't allowed and doesn't happen but it did happen this way for my sister and her in laws when they cruised with them (but ate at a different time with a different wait staff).

Maybe it is a luck thing but it does seem to be possible.

While I'm sure we would enjoy Blu, I'm not sure I would want to dine there every night. According to the Celebrity website, concierge class cabins get seating preference in the specialty restaurants, so I was curious if that applied to AQ also.

CC cabins are not permitted to eat in Blu. Blu is for AQ passengers only and suite passengers based on availability for a fee.. Lately, from my understanding it has not been available too much on some of the cruise...They also are very strict about this.

From my prior experience, CC class doesn't actually get preference in the specialty restaurants, even though it is listed as a perk. Suite guests do get both dining arrangement preference in the MDR and in the specialty restaurants, except for BLU.

Personally, I am really turned off by the menus in BLU, I was considering trying an AQ class cabin for a holy land cruise but I think I'll stick with my suite if cruisers are reporting it's difficult to switch into the MDR from the Blu dining assignment.

You can use the MDR anytime you want to, but Blu is so fantastic! We even had breakfast there before our excursions and we were always treated like royalty. I don't think it gives you privileged access to specialty restaurants, but AQ dining is THE BEST.

You are correct!

Just off Equinox a week ago Today, and miss Blu terribly. We met so many nice people there and the service is several notches above the MDR.

The wait staff will do almost anything for you. The room was usually about 1/2 full every time we went, so plenty of waiters. If you don't see what you want on the menu, just ask, and they will make every effort to get you whatever you want.

If you see an appetizer you want as a main dish, just ask. In the MDR, they would just bring you two of the appetizers, but in Blu the plate was arranged with field greens and about 3 portions of the appetizer (sea scallops) artfully arranged in the greens. YUM... sigh...

I've heard people don't like the deserts, well ask for apple pie a la mode or warm choc brownie with sauce--no prob.

Enjoy!!

That sounds good to me for our Christmas cruise; and, I nhever thought of that on our last Equinox cruise. By the way, did you ever ask for lemon meringue pie?

That sounds good to me for our Christmas cruise; and, I nhever thought of that on our last Equinox cruise. By the way, did you ever ask for lemon meringue pie?

When dining in Blu on the Solstice, one of our friends asked if they ever served Bread Pudding in Blu. Our waiter said no, it wasn't on the menu, but he would see if he could have it made for her.

Voilà, next evening the waiter was pleased to present my friend with Bread Pudding with a Brandy Pouring Custard. She said it was the best bread pudding she had ever tasted.

They bend over backward to make you happy in Blu. Our waiter even came over to see us when we dined in Tuscan Grill, to see that we were being well-taken-care of.

For those who haven't tried Blu, but are not pleased with the menu: some of the food descriptions don't serve the dishes well. We LOVED the food in Blu, but weren't sure we would, before we actually ate there, from the sound of some of the menu descriptions.

The filet mignon on the first night is fabulous...it was every bit as good as our filet in Tuscan Grill. After eating in Tuscan Grill, we decided to cancel our reservations in Murano and Silk Harvest, as we enjoyed the food, service and ambiance in Blu so much. (We did try Murano and Silk Harvest on our next trip on the Solstice, as we had more time on board. Both were great. I've had better Asian food here in Vancouver, but the selection was good, the presentation was fun, and the service was really attentive. It was also a very pretty room.)

The filet mignon on the first night is fabulous...it was every bit as good as our filet in Tuscan Grill. After eating in Tuscan Grill, we decided to cancel our reservations in Murano and Silk Harvest, as we enjoyed the food, service and ambiance in Blu so much. (We did try Murano and Silk Harvest on our next trip on the Solstice, as we had more time on board. Both were great. I've had better Asian food here in Vancouver, but the selection was good, the presentation was fun, and the service was really attentive. It was also a very pretty room.)

Does this mean we will be wasting money to go to Tuscan Grille the first night? Is Filet typically on the first night menu? The MDR on many diff ships all seem to have Prime Rib on the first night.

Does this mean we will be wasting money to go to Tuscan Grille the first night? Is Filet typically on the first night menu? The MDR on many diff ships all seem to have Prime Rib on the first night.

Both times we were on the Solstice, and on the Blu menus I have seen posted here on CC, the Filet Mignon is served on the first evening.

I think that the Celery Root Puree may be mixed with potatoes, but at any rate, it is like the tastiest, silkiest mashed potatoes and the sauce is so flavourful. The asparagus, Cabernet Shallot Confit and the au jus are all excellent. The Filet Mignon was a good size, and done for me to a perfect medium rare. (I get SO pouty if my steaks are overcooked...ask my poor husband :p).

The Filet Mignon in the Tuscan Grill wasn't any better than what I had in Blu, but some of the appetizers and sides in TG are great. Honestly though, you can really feel the "heaviness" of the food in TG. My DH and I would definitely book Tuscan Grill another night.

Here is the first night's menu in Blu (at least it was a year ago):

APPETIZERS

• Grilled Tamarind Glazed Quail
    Cinnamon Pickled Carrots, Tabbouleh Salad

• Chilled Seafood Nappolean
    Cucumber Carpaccio, Saffron Vinagrette

• BLU Cheese Soufflé
    Candied Anjou Pear and Port Wine Reduction

SOUPS & SALADS

• Chilled Avacado and Lemon Soup
    with Poached Shrimp

• Sweet Yellow Corn Velouté
    Chile Oil, Cilantro and Chorizo

• Baby Spinach Salad
    Roquefort Cheese, Bloomed Craisins, Toasted Pecans,
    Prosciutto and Black Pepper Emulsion

• Marinated Tear Drop Tomatoes and Bocconcini Salad

Basil, Argan Olive Oil and Balsamic Syrup

SALAD ENTREÉ

• Grilled Salmon Filet and Endive Watercress Salad
    with Basil Pesto

ENTREÉS

• Orecchiette Pasta
    Porcini Mushrooms, Vegetable Pistou and Basil

• Blackened Ahi Tuna
    Forbidden Rice, Baby Bock Choy, Spicy Onion
    and White Sesame Seed Vinaigrette

• Roasted Chicken Breast
    Green Lentil Blini, Wilted Spinach
    and Tomato Galic Emulsion

• Pan Seared Filet Mignon
    Celery Root Puree, Green Asparagus,
    Cabernet Confit Shallots
    and Olive Oil Beef Jus

• Daily Vegetable
    Baby Poached Vegetables and Lemon Oil

DESSERTS

• Gingersnap Basket
  • Coconut Crème Brûleé

• No Sugar Added Guava Ice Parfait

• Ice Cream

• Guava Sorbet

• Low Fat Frozen Yogurt Vanilla Lychee

• No Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream

PS. the ice cream in Blu is really great, especially the Cherry Brandy :). I am lactose-sensitive, and don't usually permit myself to have ice cream, but it is so worth it :p.

You are correct, the filet mignon was on the first night 6 weeks ago.. I also went to Tuscan on the first night and missed the Filet Mignon but it was worth it. Celebrity usually has the Prime Rib on the 2nd formal night as many order two entrees to make surf and turf..

Hi Jade, I also had the filet on the first night....I was on Solstice last

month as well. I had AQ too. I only ended up having dinner in Blu 3

out of the 7 nights but I must say the filet was like butta;)

I found it interesting that the vegetarian entree is listed as "Daily Vegetable". Some folks could mistake that for a vegetable side dish.

The first night filet is almost fork tender! And they don't have steak knives in the dining rooms! The table knife is sufficient for all the meats that we had on our 2 sailings.

Both times we were on the Solstice, and on the Blu menus I have seen posted here on CC, the Filet Mignon is served on the first evening.

I think that the Celery Root Puree may be mixed with potatoes, but at any rate, it is like the tastiest, silkiest mashed potatoes and the sauce is so flavourful. The asparagus, Cabernet Shallot Confit and the au jus are all excellent. The Filet Mignon was a good size, and done for me to a perfect medium rare. (I get SO pouty if my steaks are overcooked...ask my poor husband :p).

The Filet Mignon in the Tuscan Grill wasn't any better than what I had in Blu, but some of the appetizers and sides in TG are great. Honestly though, you can really feel the "heaviness" of the food in TG. My DH and I would definitely book Tuscan Grill another night.

Here is the first night's menu in Blu (at least it was a year ago):

APPETIZERS

• Grilled Tamarind Glazed Quail
    Cinnamon Pickled Carrots, Tabbouleh Salad
  • Chilled Seafood Nappolean
    Cucumber Carpaccio, Saffron Vinagrette
  • BLU Cheese Soufflé
    Candied Anjou Pear and Port Wine Reduction

SOUPS & SALADS

• Chilled Avacado and Lemon Soup
    with Poached Shrimp
  • Sweet Yellow Corn Velouté
    Chile Oil, Cilantro and Chorizo
  • Baby Spinach Salad
    Roquefort Cheese, Bloomed Craisins, Toasted Pecans,
    Prosciutto and Black Pepper Emulsion
  • Marinated Tear Drop Tomatoes and Bocconcini Salad

Basil, Argan Olive Oil and Balsamic Syrup

SALAD ENTREÉ

• Grilled Salmon Filet and Endive Watercress Salad
    with Basil Pesto

ENTREÉS

• Orecchiette Pasta
    Porcini Mushrooms, Vegetable Pistou and Basil
  • Blackened Ahi Tuna
    Forbidden Rice, Baby Bock Choy, Spicy Onion
    and White Sesame Seed Vinaigrette
  • Roasted Chicken Breast
    Green Lentil Blini, Wilted Spinach
    and Tomato Galic Emulsion
  • Pan Seared Filet Mignon
    Celery Root Puree, Green Asparagus,
    Cabernet Confit Shallots
    and Olive Oil Beef Jus
  • Daily Vegetable
    Baby Poached Vegetables and Lemon Oil

DESSERTS

• Gingersnap Basket

• Coconut Crème Brûleé
  • No Sugar Added Guava Ice Parfait
  • Ice Cream
  • Guava Sorbet
  • Low Fat Frozen Yogurt Vanilla Lychee
  • No Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream

PS. the ice cream in Blu is really great, especially the Cherry Brandy :). I am lactose-sensitive, and don't usually permit myself to have ice cream, but it is so worth it :p.

Thank you Elena7Seas. Btw, my DH is lactose-sensitive too.

This is great because I can see (pics) of everything we would order.

Hi Jade, I also had the filet on the first night....I was on Solstice last

month as well. I had AQ too. I only ended up having dinner in Blu 3

out of the 7 nights but I must say the filet was like butta;)

Ok, I am getting hungry.

Looking forward to finally meeting you next month.

You are correct, the filet mignon was on the first night 6 weeks ago.. I also went to Tuscan on the first night and missed the Filet Mignon but it was worth it. Celebrity usually has the Prime Rib on the 2nd formal night as many order two entrees to make surf and turf..

Hi dkjretired, I am really looking forward to Eclipse. We were "blown away" by the service and food on Century in April. Meanwhile we were on HAL Maasdam in Aug/Sept and the food overall was not very good. It seems that Celebrity has gotten better while HAL has gone down (although the service on HAL is always good).

I found it interesting that the vegetarian entree is listed as "Daily Vegetable". Some folks could mistake that for a vegetable side dish.

The first night filet is almost fork tender! And they don't have steak knives in the dining rooms! The table knife is sufficient for all the meats that we had on our 2 sailings.

I am getting excited. I still don't get a special restaurant for AQ passengers, but not for Suite guests.

Yes, we had the Filet the first night (Oct 5) and it was fork tender and very thick. The poster who said the celery root puree is like silky mashed potatos is correct. The menu description can be misleading.

The filet was never repeated on our 13 night cruise:(, and we only ate in Blu. The pork chop was thick and extremely tender (normally I don't care for pork chops, but I'm still dreaming about this one!).

I am getting excited. I still don't get a special restaurant for AQ passengers, but not for Suite guests.

Hi Jade, Blu is not considered a Specialty Restaurant. It is the

dining room for AQ passengers but as you have read, many passengers

in AQ want both choices. I guess eventually Celebrity will decide if

they really want to make it a "Specialty Restaurant". I was in AQ

but it was only because the prices dropped so much. The cruise we are going

on? I am in a regular balcony....2 nights in the main dining room and 1 in

Qsine:)

Suite Passengers have never had their own dining room.

Archived