International Air Fare Confusion

boewok

We are booked on Transatlantic cruise next fall. So plenty of time. I'm checking now because RCCL is getting out of the air business. When I reqested air, the rep said "let me see if we are still doing that". She then added less than $1,000 USD to our fare for air.

When I look at airlport(or airline) web page, the cost of a one-way ticket to Barcelona is over $2,000 USD.

Does air go down closer to date? What am I missing?

The cruise lines have deals with certain airlines and can book cheaper fares. That said, the fare isn't one way. It's one way to/from Europe and one way USA/USA which you can book yourself using a multi city routing while booking. Also, the routing, if using the cruise lines air normally scores you the least desirable flights. Occasionally, cruise air will be cheaper than getting your own but it's not the norm..........

We are booked on Transatlantic cruise next fall. So plenty of time. I'm checking now because RCCL is getting out of the air business. When I reqested air, the rep said "let me see if we are still doing that". She then added less than $1,000 USD to our fare for air.

When I look at airlport(or airline) web page, the cost of a one-way ticket to Barcelona is over $2,000 USD.

Search "One-Way Air" or "One Way Transatlantic" in this forum and you'll find about why one-way tickets are often priced higher than returns; and ways to get around it; including those airlines that do offer discount one way (EI jumps to mind)

GO check American Airlines ! This AM, the fare to BCN from JFK was about $300. I just booked round trip for $638 ! See if you can find something cheap from Kentucky to NYC ??

Now why would you possibly pay more by buying 2 separate tickets? Sometimes this works but chances are there is a through fare from Kentucky that would be lower than buying 2 separate tickets.

Now why would you possibly pay more by buying 2 separate tickets? Sometimes this works but chances are there is a through fare from Kentucky that would be lower than buying 2 separate tickets.

I've done it before...hopped on a cheap SW then connected with Delta. It cost us almost half of what Delta would have been straight through...

On average, I agree, but who could possibly say with any accuracy, as OP has not provided their depature city or dates.

The problem with splitting a trip between two airlines that do not interline can be a major one.

If you start out on a Southwest flight and are delayed for any reason, Southwest cannot help you with the major carrier you will be using to fly overseas and the major carrier won't help you either.

That means in order to save money you are taking a large financial risk.

By staying all the way with a major/mainline carrier such as Delta, American or several others and the overseas carriers they work with by agreement and contract, you have a much more secure situation.

They now call it Choice Air. Booked my transatlantic flights with them last month a a great rate.

Archived