Sleep Apnea

read52

My friend will be sailing on the Enchantment of the Seas for their first cruise. Her husband uses a sleep apnea machine at night. Will they be allowed to bring power strip or an extention cord for the machine? They are in an inside room so I know the outlets are away from the bed.

My friend will be sailing on the Enchantment of the Seas for their first cruise. Her husband uses a sleep apnea machine at night. Will they be allowed to bring power strip or an extention cord for the machine? They are in an inside room so I know the outlets are away from the bed.

No, do not bring power strip or an extention cord.

But do fill out the GUEST SPECIAL NEEDS FORM

and they will provide you with extention cord and distilled water.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do;jsessionid=0000mvhSo7ZHUrfaNz0_GWkwrQA:12hdhu93n

I've never had a problem with them, they go in my carry on bag so never out of my sight. I travel with a 25' lamp extension cord, you just never know where outlets are going to be.

Okay, everyone who has a machine, did you try anything else first? My DH was diagnosed about 3 months ago and has a mouth piece he's wearing at night. The three options that were given were: lose weight, the mouth guard or the machine. We wanted to avoid having to lug the machine on trips (he travels for work too) and so far the mouth piece seems to be working really well. The machine was going to be our absolutely last choice. DH needed to lose probably 30 lbs for that to work, but even though he's considered overweight he is in great shape (walks/runs 6-7 miles per day) and is solid, just weighs more than the charts say he should due to his build so the losing weight option would have meant a drastic diet change. Just curious what options were given and why.

Okay, everyone who has a machine, did you try anything else first? My DH was diagnosed about 3 months ago and has a mouth piece he's wearing at night. The three options that were given were: lose weight, the mouth guard or the machine. We wanted to avoid having to lug the machine on trips (he travels for work too) and so far the mouth piece seems to be working really well. The machine was going to be our absolutely last choice. DH needed to lose probably 30 lbs for that to work, but even though he's considered overweight he is in great shape (walks/runs 6-7 miles per day) and is solid, just weighs more than the charts say he should due to his build so the losing weight option would have meant a drastic diet change. Just curious what options were given and why.

I don't think the OP was asking for medical advise!:rolleyes: My husband brings his cpap with him and does carry his own extension cord right in the bag's machine. He does not use distilled water (or any water)with his but you can order it from special needs department.

Everyone should follow their own Dr's advise of course. Not sure how a "mouthpiece" can keep someone from stopping breathing in the middle of the night which is what sleep apnea is is? It has nothing to do with being overweight.

I don't think the OP was asking for medical advise!:rolleyes: My husband brings his cpap with him and does carry his own extension cord right in the bag's machine. He does not use distilled water (or any water)with his but you can order it from special needs department.

Everyone should follow their own Dr's advise of course. Not sure how a "mouthpiece" can keep someone from stopping breathing in the middle of the night which is what sleep apnea is is? It has nothing to do with being overweight.

Not exactly true. The effects of sleep apnea for many people can be reduced and sometimes eliminated if they shed excess pounds. HOWEVER back the original question...RC is very accomodating of travellers that need to use a CPAP. Just make them aware of it, even before you board if you can.

First of all....I use a CPAP and I bring my own extension cord...it stays in my bag all the time so I always have it...I ask for distilled water prior to sailing thru special_needs@rccl.com

2nd...the theory of having sleep apnea because you are fat is not true...yes they did believe that years ago but I know just as many thin people with cpap as fat...I fall in the latter category but I kjnow people that lost weight and still need the cpap as sleep apea means you stop breathing when you fall asleep...I can sleep sitting up without the machine but I cant lay down without it as I have swelling in my neck due to an uncureable disease so please please please dont lump cpap using into a "too fat" category...not fair

IIt has nothing to do with being overweight.

Hmmm, thats strange, I was diagnosed with SEVERE sleep apnea over 2 years ago and have since lost about 40 pounds and suddenly I dont have sleep apnea anymore.:confused: Im not saying that will happen for everyone but your blanket statement is false.

Furthermore, the mouthpiece is working for thousands and thousands of people with MILD sleep apnea.

Just had my annual visit with my sleep doctor this week, and he said the most current studies have shown that only about 25% of all sleep apnea cases are cause solely by weight alone.

I've taken my CPAP on all of my cruises, I actually bought the extension cord I carry with it on my first cruise because I didn't realize how far away the outlets were. Now I just keep it in the bottom of my bag. I've used my own bottled water before, didn't realize you could request it from special needs. I'll be doing that on my next cruise.

I always bring my own extension cord for two reasons. First, when I have asked for one from the cruise line, they supply a 100' or so bright orange or yellow cord. There's a lot of extra cord to coil up, taking up space. Second, the cord they supply has been a direct line, so my CPAP machine uses up an outlet (and we have been in some cabins with only one). We need access to the outlets overnight for charging stuff, so it helps having an extension cord with extra outlets.

I no longer use the humidifier feature of my CPAP. My thinking is that the machine changes the air pressure, but not the moisture content of the air I am breathing. I may be wrong, but in any case, everything works fine for me without it. But it probably wouldn't hurt to have a cord and distilled water provided - as well as warning RCCL that you have a CPAP machine - so the special needs form seems like a good idea. One time when I used my machine on an overnight flight, the flight attendants seemd concerned and asked me all about it in the morning. Probably better for all concerned if they had addressed those concerns before I started using it!

Her husband uses a sleep apnea machine at night. Will they be allowed to bring power strip or an extention cord for the machine?

DW and I have taken our CPAPs on a dozen RCCL cruises with no problem. We bring an extension cord (not a power strip) for each, plus several triple cubes of varying shapes, and make sure all are UL-approved just in case there's ever an issue about their quality. As has been noted, go ahead and have her also contact Special Needs and ask them for an extension cord (and distilled water if she needs it), but make sure she also brings her own cord(s) just in case RCCL can't provide her with one.

I always bring my own extension cord for two reasons. First, when I have asked for one from the cruise line, they supply a 100' or so bright orange or yellow cord. There's a lot of extra cord to coil up, taking up space. Second, the cord they supply has been a direct line, so my CPAP machine uses up an outlet (and we have been in some cabins with only one). We need access to the outlets overnight for charging stuff, so it helps having an extension cord with extra outlets.

I no longer use the humidifier feature of my CPAP. My thinking is that the machine changes the air pressure, but not the moisture content of the air I am breathing. I may be wrong, but in any case, everything works fine for me without it. But it probably wouldn't hurt to have a cord and distilled water provided - as well as warning RCCL that you have a CPAP machine - so the special needs form seems like a good idea. One time when I used my machine on an overnight flight, the flight attendants seemd concerned and asked me all about it in the morning. Probably better for all concerned if they had addressed those concerns before I started using it!

Interesting...how did you use the machine on a flight? I want to travel long distances and hubby uses a machine...that would be great..thanks

CC

There is fourth option, for some people, surgery. It worked for a friend of mine. But I am not a candidate.

Thanks for all the answers. This is their first cruise so I am trying to make sure they know all the ins and outs. He was put on the machine a couple of years ago. They found out that he had a problem when he a colonoscopic (spelling). He stopped breathing twice during the proceed.

Um, I wasn't giving "medical advice". I was stating what MY husband went through GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!! And I was asking a question. Wow.

As for the mouthpiece it is fitted by a dentist specifically for sleep apnea and is widely used. It keeps the jaw pushed forward just a bit and allows better breathing as a lot of sleep apnea patients problem is from soft tissue. Here, learn something new: http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_dental_devices_used_treat_sleep_apnea_000065_9.htm

That is just one of many, many hits you will get if you google "sleep apnea mouth guard". We know several men who use it. BTW, it works, he doesn't snore at all anymore. He used to keep me awake. And yes, weight can and is an issue in sleep apnea, not in everyone, but it is an issue.

I think you got the answer you needed, but I'll chime in with current information. We were on the Enchantment two weeks ago, my friend brought her CPAP and an extension cord (not a power strip), with no issue. You will need the cord, as the only outlet is under the vanity mirror.

There are 2 types of sleep apnea, obstructive and central. Obstructive is more common and CAN be related to weight, but not always, Jaw anatomy and tonsils can cause this also. Central is brain oriented, the brain just stops telling the lungs to breathe, this is the type I have, although I could stand to lose some weight, it won't help my sleep apnea any. One can usually tell what type they have by the pressure setting on their machine, lower pressures (starts at 4) usually mean Central and higher pressures (12 and up) usually mean obstructive. The low pressure for Central is just there as a reminder to the brain that it needs to breathe. Obstructive requires higher pressure to help the lungs overcome the blockage by the obstruction.

I've had mine for about 8yrs now, probably should have had it for 15 or more, but I'm hard-headed. I've slept 1 night without it (not including naps) and was up most of the night as I kept waking myself up snoring. After getting my machine it took 2 weeks for my wife to get use to the silence in our bedroom. Trust me when I say, they want me using it on the cruise, otherwise passengers from 5 rooms in every direction would be calling to complain.

Here is a pic of my taking a nap on the Disney Magic a few years back, there were people sitting next to me when I sat down, the entire outside deck was cleared when I woke up. ;) My BIL busted me with this pic, I'd disappeared after brunch at Palo.....he found me on deck 4....

cruise282.jpg

I haven't read your replies yet, but having personal experience I would add, check RCI's website, they have an address for passengers with special needs. If you write to them telling them you are bringing a CPAP machine, they will provide you with an extension cord and a bottle of distilled water. They did a great job for me twice.

(PS - After losing 75 pounds, I don't need it anymore. No CPAP machine this cruise!:D

Okay, everyone who has a machine, did you try anything else first? My DH was diagnosed about 3 months ago and has a mouth piece he's wearing at night.

The mouthpiece did help. Losing 75 pounds helped the most though.

This is one product that actually does what it says, if you check out their ads, I will tell you it does work. Now it may not work for everybody and how much it helps may vary. Now not everyone who has sleep apnea is overweight, but it most cases it is the cause. I'm living proof (with medical confirmation after multiple sleep test) losing weight can help. In my case I went from a BMI of 37 to 25 and cured my sleep apnea. My wife will be glad to tell you how she would hear me stop breathing and how its not the case now.

Hmmm, thats strange, I was diagnosed with SEVERE sleep apnea over 2 years ago and have since lost about 40 pounds and suddenly I dont have sleep apnea anymore.:confused: Im not saying that will happen for everyone but your blanket statement is false.

Furthermore, the mouthpiece is working for thousands and thousands of people with MILD sleep apnea.

Well said.

I'm going to jump in to say if your friends are staying in a hotel pre- or post-cruise, he should have both a powerstrip and an extension cord in his cpap bag. We travel a lot, and you never know where the plugs are in a hotel room. Sometimes they're 12-15 feet from the bed on the desk lamp! And they should be in his cpap bag which he should take as a carry on. It doesn't count against your carry-on allowance as it is a medical device. Happy traveling!

I used to have a cpap. I had weight loss surgery, lost 70 pounds, and a recent sleep study shows I no longer need it, but guess what? My skinny, skinny husband uses one! His apnea is worse than mine was, and he's NEVER snored. He just quits breathing. Very scary!

Robin

I'm going to jump in to say if your friends are staying in a hotel pre- or post-cruise, he should have both a powerstrip and an extension cord in his cpap bag. We travel a lot, and you never know where the plugs are in a hotel room. Sometimes they're 12-15 feet from the bed on the desk lamp! And they should be in his cpap bag which he should take as a carry on. It doesn't count against your carry-on allowance as it is a medical device. Happy traveling!

I used to have a cpap. I had weight loss surgery, lost 70 pounds, and a recent sleep study shows I no longer need it, but guess what? My skinny, skinny husband uses one! His apnea is worse than mine was, and he's NEVER snored. He just quits breathing. Very scary!

Robin

My husband is very fit too and he didn't snore. He just stopped breathing many, many times during the night. It is very scary.

Archived