Dining with the Captain??

carib123

That is not true about Engine Room tours. They have them on Azamara and on Celebrity too. The Captains Club Hostess asked if we would be interested in an Engine Room Tour, but they did a Bridge Tour instead. It was only a 4 night cruise, so they did not have time for both.

Don't know when you went. We were on Century last year and toured both the bridge and the engine room. This year on Constellation, we got an invite for the Bridge, but when we asked about the Engine room tour, we were told that they had now been stopped., This was at the end of September.

It is interesting how people are chosen to sit at the Captains table. DH and I have 22 cruises behind us staying mostly in suites and have never once been invited. Who knows maybe on our 14 night cruise in March we will get an invite. That would be fun.

Being Elite members we have gotten invitations almost every cruise to tour the bridge. I have done this twice and enjoyed it very much. The galley tour is kind of fun too. DH didn't care to do either and I was sorry he missed it.

I also have dined at the Captains table numerous times. As an FYI, the true Captain only dines during second seating. At firsts seating you are likely to get the Staff Captain or other high level officer. It also helps to be an Elite cruiser or in a suite.
Generally, but not always, true that the Captain dines late. Nov 2009 we had an early seating dinner with the Captain [yes, the Master of the vessel] of the Mercury and it wasn't even a formal night. He personally hosted at least three tables during our 17 night San Diego to Baltimore cruise.

BTW Engine Room tours, while not unknown, are very rare. Engine Control Room tours are much more common.

Thom

Thom, wasn't our table great fun? I think the officers on that cruise were especially engaging. We've also been invited for cocktails after the dinner by the Captain. Those are some of the moments on Celebrity that we will always treasure. And that's part of the reason we remain loyal to Celebrity.

Cindy and John

To the OP: It never hurts to politely ask for a tour or an invitation to the Captain's Table. IMHO, the request may be best phrased with an understanding that it may not be possible but that it would be a highlight for you. Maybe it will happen. If you have cruised with X before I would ask the Captain's Club host or hostess.

Yes, people do turn down invites to the Captain's Table......Last January we were on a BtoB on Summit and were invited twice to the Captains Table. Having read these boards I know there are many that really hope for that invitation and to us it really didn't matter. I turned down both invites so 2 other people each time could have the chance. I hope they enjoyed it.

Tne invites came from the Captain's Club hostess and the other from a butler..... we were in 6143 (the CC class room in "suiteland") and he was the butler serving the adjoining suites & PH. We enjoyed talking to each other in the hall.

Both were pretty surprised when I politely declined. I guess it doesn't happen much!

Off topic (in a way)...we're in #6144 in "suiteland" next Feb. You mentioned 'talking to the butler in the hall'. I wondered if there were any residual benefits being so close to the hoi paloi. Guess the butler doesn't assist the CC class cabin right in the middle of the suites. Will we have another steward from 'way down the hall'??? :confused:

Edited by oceangoer2

Off topic (in a way)...we're in #6144 in "suiteland" next Feb. You mentioned 'talking to the butler in the hall'. I wondered if there were any residual benefits being so close to the hoi paloi. Guess the butler doesn't assist the CC class cabin right in the middle of the suites. Will we have another steward from 'way down the hall'??? :confused:

The suites have a butler AND a steward, plus the steward's assistant. You will have the steward and asst, but not the butler.

The suites have a butler, a steward, AND the steward's assistant. You will have the steward and asst, but not the butler.

Thom, wasn't our table great fun? I think the officers on that cruise were especially engaging. We've also been invited for cocktails after the dinner by the Captain. Those are some of the moments on Celebrity that we will always treasure. And that's part of the reason we remain loyal to Celebrity.

Cindy and John

Hi Cindy! Quite a number of people off last fall's Mercury Panama Canal are currently on the Century TransAtlantic [including Bob & Connie, the couple who were traveling with us]. We got off the Summit Cape Liberty - San Juan yesterday. We signed up at the last minute as they had quite inexpensive prices on this repositioning, and we found good connecting transportation prices also. The Summit Captain's Club hostess asked us if we dined late [certainly sounded like leading to an invite, probably to the Captain's Table]. We told her that we had early dining, but that we had been flexible enough to accept an invite to late dining with the Mercury Hotel Director in Alaska this year. Instead we got an invite to early dining with the Staff Captain [yes, the Captain usually dines late]. Still pleasant anyway you cut it. We leave in twelve days for South America and a fourteen night small ship cruise [with Zodiac landings] to Antarctica - seventh continent for both Lyn and me.

Thom.

To Oceangoer2: In 6144 you will have a the same steward as the PH & surrounding suites and his assistant. Our Stewart was Seby on Summit (in 6143) and he was outstanding. These boards say the best team is put there for the PH (that makes sense) and you will have them too in 6144.

In a CC Cabin you do not receive "butler service". But if the butler is standing in the hall and is not busy .... if you obviously need something easily done... I can't imagine him saying "I don't work for you".

I'm sure these butlers have delt with every attitude imaginable from the good to the bad. They will appreciate a simple "hi, have a nice day" from someone that they don't have to wait on.

One day we got in from port kinda late and the butler had just finished tea service to the suites. He asked me if I was hungry and gave me a plate of tea sandwitches.

To Oceangoer2: In 6144 you will have a the same steward as the PH & surrounding suites and his assistant. Our Stewart was Seby on Summit (in 6143) and he was outstanding. These boards say the best team is put there for the PH (that makes sense) and you will have them too in 6144.

In a CC Cabin you do not receive "butler service". But if the butler is standing in the hall and is not busy .... if you obviously need something easily done... I can't imagine him saying "I don't work for you".

I'm sure these butlers have delt with every attitude imaginable from the good to the bad. They will appreciate a simple "hi, have a nice day" from someone that they don't have to wait on.

One day we got in from port kinda late and the butler had just finished tea service to the suites. He asked me if I was hungry and gave me a plate of tea sandwitches.

Thanks! We've always enjoyed great service no matter where we've been located onboard. One little detail was missed in CC -- each time we requested a tablecloth for breakfast on the balcony, it never appeared. Didn't want to send our steward on another trip so did without. No biggie, but perhaps having a cabin in this area one won't be so hard to find.

Edited by oceangoer2

What do you mean by "hoi paloi" ? Surely you mean the exact opposite ?

Bridge tours are by invitation. You can ask at guest relations and they will add your name to a list and if you are lucky, you may get asked.

Engine room tours are now off the menu.

Yup--that's right. No way you're getting into the engine room.

What do you mean by "hoi paloi" ? Surely you mean the exact opposite ?

Kudos to you.....I stand corrected. Yes, hoi paloi does translate to "the many" or "the commoner". I used the phrase as it pertains to a 19th C. translation referring to the educated upper crust:

"Its current English usage originated in the early 19th century, a time when it was generally accepted that one must be familiar with Greek and Latin in order to be considered well-educated.[3][4][5] The phrase was originally written in Greek letters.[6][7][8] Knowledge of these languages served to set apart the speaker from the common people who were not similarly educated.[6]".

Probably shouldn't have been so careless -- there are some who are quick to pick up on any and all lapses in judgement.

Carole

Edited by oceangoer2

I usually don't eat with the help!

I certainly wouldn't mind being 'down below' where the "help" eats and entertain themselves. It would really add an element ot cruising that most people would rater ignoe than aknowledge.

Phil

I did a bridge tour in April. It was great. I also did a galley tour. We also were invited to dine with the cruise director. The cruise director also wined and dined us on several occasions. We ate at the captain's table. We do cruise frequently. We are elite and people seem to enjoy our company. Be happy, be pleasant, and maybe you will also be treated to some perks.

No Muushka, it's no joke. What kudos is there in dining at the captain's table / Just to tell your friends "we dined with the captain". As most posts indicate, it's not usually the captain anyway, but a senior officer.

Well, one benefit is that the wine at dinner goes on the captain's sign and sail card. And since he is often on duty, and cannot drink, there is more for the rest of the table!:D

Sounds like you had a boring table:rolleyes: I have been invited several times

with either the Captain or one of the Sr Officers and I had the opposite

experiences from you. We had good conversation~not stifled at all and

the food and wine flowed nicely as well:D

To each their own....If I get invited again, I would graciously accept:)

Oh, its only once per cruise...not 14 nights.....

We have had dinner with fabulous, personable Captains. We have also had dinner with some Captains who were incredible stuffed shirts! The worst was on RCCL. It seemed the Captain was only interested in seducing a young Continental Airlines Flight attendant the whole time during dinner. It was actually a very uncomfortable experience. Since then, we have ocassionally turned down invitations to dine with the Captain.

By the way...he was unsuccessful in his attempt at seduction!

Edited by jimandtoni

We have just enjoyed a lovely cruise on Celebrity Eclipse where we were invited to dine at the Captains table, we accepted and we had the best night ever. At the end of the meal the Captain invited the whole table onto the bridge for the sailaway from Lisbon and then on the last day at sea we had a private breakfast with the captain and the occupants of the Penthouse Suite. All three were fantastic experiences.

Does anyone know if the Capt of the Solstice attends his Captain's dinners? We are in the PH on Solstice next week and crossing our fingers for an invite....

When we were onbaord our B2B the end of September we dined with the Hotel Director and the Food & Beverage Manager. The captain had his wife and little girl on board ...don't know how long they were going to be traveling with him.

I was on the Infinity a few years ago with this Captain (Demetrios Kafetzis) and did dine with him on one of the formal nights.

I hope you can snag an invite! He is a most charming and humorous man!

Edited by Char

• 7 years later...

I was on the Infinity a few years ago with this Captain (Demetrios Kafetzis) and did dine with him on one of the formal nights.

I hope you can snag an invite! He is a most charming and humorous man!

We adored Captain Demetrios! We did a B2B with him on the Mediterranean last year. I'd have loved to have dined at his table. Most cruise ship captains are not that interesting, but he is an exception! He did give us a free dinner at one of the specialty restaurants after he liked an answer my mom gave to a question he asked at a Captain's Club event, and although I think we made quite an impression on him - and we got rather chummy with the Cruise Director and the CC Hostess as well - but we were never asked to dine with him. I rather wondered what the criteria was.

Was it Cpt. Demetrios who had his wife and daughter on the ship with him? I'd loved to have met them as well. :)

As for those who ask "Why would you want to dine with the help," I feel sorry for them. We have generally found the ship's crew to be far more interesting and friendly people than most of the other passengers on the ship, right down to the "lowly" cabin stewards. It's interesting to talk to and make friends with the crew, and they will often do you favors and go out of their way to help you when you treat them like fellow human beings, not just as "the help." I've never understood why some people take the attitude that they are better than others just because those others chose to take a service job, and they are in a position to pay for those services.

We adored Captain Demetrios! We did a B2B with him on the Mediterranean last year. I'd have loved to have dined at his table. Most cruise ship captains are not that interesting, but he is an exception! He did give us a free dinner at one of the specialty restaurants after he liked an answer my mom gave to a question he asked at a Captain's Club event, and although I think we made quite an impression on him - and we got rather chummy with the Cruise Director and the CC Hostess as well - but we were never asked to dine with him. I rather wondered what the criteria was.

Was it Cpt. Demetrios who had his wife and daughter on the ship with him? I'd loved to have met them as well. :)

As for those who ask "Why would you want to dine with the help," I feel sorry for them. We have generally found the ship's crew to be far more interesting and friendly people than most of the other passengers on the ship, right down to the "lowly" cabin stewards. It's interesting to talk to and make friends with the crew, and they will often do you favors and go out of their way to help you when you treat them like fellow human beings, not just as "the help." I've never understood why some people take the attitude that they are better than others just because those others chose to take a service job, and they are in a position to pay for those services.

This thread is from 2010. They don't do the "Captain's Table" the way they used to. There are tables in specialty restaurants done by various ship's officers and there is no way to determine how many there will be and who will be invited. Frequent cruisers and VIP passengers have a better chance but each cruise is unique.