walking to San Marco.

solostar

How far is it approx. from Piazolla Roma to San Marco, if I wanted to walk, and would I pass by the Rialto Bridge? :confused:

It is really difficult to quantify distances in Venice since there are so many different walking routes. But for arguments sake lets say that yes, you can easily walk from the Piazale Roma to the Rialto Bridge and than over to San Marco. Since the route will wind through various streets we would have to give you a very rough estimate which would be about 2 miles total. The direct route from P. Roma to San Marco would not take you anywhere near Rialto so you would have to make a major deviation from a straight route to make this walk. That being said, it would be a terrific walk. However, if you want to save time and some wear on your feet you might want to consider using the vaporetto from P. Roma to the Rialto Br and then walking to San Marco. We have found that using a combination of some vaporettos with lots of walking does help save our feet.

Hank

When we were in Venice Oct '08, the winds were really bad and stormy weather. The ride over to Murano took 30 minutes but the ride back was close to 50 minutes, once the winds kicked up. But it is definitely worth the time to go. The shops were all closing because of the rain, but we still saw a glass blowing demonstration and had lunch before the rain hit in earnest.

Have a great trip!

We agree that Murano is worth at least a couple of hours. You can easily get there by Vaporetto from the Piazale Roma vaporetto docks (also called the ACTV). I think the #41 vaporetto line will take you directly to Murano from P. Roma (with a few intervening stops). Getting to the Rialto Bridge area generally means using the #1 or #2 vaporetto lines (these are the main lines that move around Venice in both directions). There is no direct vaporetto line from Murano to the Rialto Br so you would need to transfer or do some extra walking. If you are going to be using 3 or more vaporetto rides it usually pays to buy a pass (they sell 12 hr, 24 hr, 48, 72 etc) which you can purchase right at the P.Roma ACTV ticket office (on your left as you enter the P. Roma from the port direction).

Hank

How far is it approx. from Piazolla Roma to San Marco, if I wanted to walk, and would I pass by the Rialto Bridge? :confused:

See link below

http://www.venicebanana.com/venice_walking_routes.html

http://www.venicebanana.com/walking_ple_roma_st_mark_1.html

http://www.venicebanana.com/walking_ple_roma_st_mark_2.html

Thanks so much, you are very helpful. I will probably be asking for some more info in the next few months, hope you don,t mind ! :)

With only 1 day in venice, I would skip Murano. The Vaporetto to Rialto or San marco will be 30-45 minutes. The Doge's palace and St Mark's use up the rest of the morning. After lunch walk to Rialto and the frari church stopping at La Fenice.---you get the idea I just think Murano takes too much time if you have only one day. Borrow or buy Rick Steeve's guide to Venice He has suggested walking and vaporetto tours for 1 day. There is enough on both sides of the Grand canal to keep you going for weeks let alone a day.

I think I will take your advice and skip Murano, maybe I can do that on another visit. Thankyou, mbeginner for the link, the walk is explained perfectly, with photos as well! I think I will walk from P. Roma to St. Marks, at a leisurely pace,taking in the various sights, then later in the day get the vaporetta back to P.Roma, along the Grand Canal, what do you think? :confused:

I agree on skipping Murano. We spent almost three hours in Doge Palace alone. Add St Marks square and church you won't have a whole lot of time left. You need some time to walk around, that is where you get the true taste of Venice.

Kirk

I think I will take your advice and skip Murano, maybe I can do that on another visit. Thankyou, mbeginner for the link, the walk is explained perfectly, with photos as well! I think I will walk from P. Roma to St. Marks, at a leisurely pace,taking in the various sights, then later in the day get the vaporetta back to P.Roma, along the Grand Canal, what do you think? :confused:

From St. Marco square(S.MARCO VALLARESSO) you can go by vaporettos to the P.Roma (P.ROMA S.CHIARA SX) Route 1

http://www.actv.it/en

I actually find that the walk from around Piazzale Roma to the Rialto and the on to San Marco is intriguing, but if it's your first visit and time is of the essence, do as recommended in several posts and take the vaporetto to the Rialto and then walk. Any route is good and I would actuallu suggest NOT following the most direct route. You can't get lost (really!). And just getting one or two "streets" (calle) off the main route will introduce a whole new mysterious Venice to you.

And as interesting as Murano is, it will chew up too much of your time. #1 things to see is San Marco church and my personal favorite, the Doge's Palace. Don't forget to walk around the palace on the outside to the Bridge of Sighs. There are fascinating little shops and much glassware from Murano to see -- ah, how I love bella Venezia!

I think I will be able to do as you have suggested, I like to walk, and the area from P. Roma to San Marco doesn,t seem as large as I first thought. I wanted to go to Murano particularly to see the glassware, but I think there will be plenty of shops selling it. Thanks for the reply! :)

We walked (not by choice, alliguna decided to not have ferries from the port that day ugh!) from P. Roma to St Mark's. It took us approximately 30 minutes. We didn't do a ton of stopping either. You can find your way, if you follow the signs "Per San Marco", however it will eat up some time. You will get to really see venice that way though, as you'll be walking through it!

Enjoy!

On both of our trips to Venice, DW & I had street maps purchased in advance at Barnes & Noble. We wandered ... got lost ... and found our way back again.

In addition to the hustle / bustle of the main tourist areas (Grand Canal, St. Mark’s, & Rialto areas), we loved finding the quiet, and quaint side streets and back alley ways.

Go get lost and find the real Venice. It’s unbelievable!

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

I am thinking that I will reverse my journey, i.e. I will take the Vaporetto from P. Roma to the Rialto Bridge then on foot to San. Marco, and in case it gets busy ,or I catch the wrong Vaporetto :eek: I will walk back to P.Roma. Could anyone tell me where the Vaperetto stop is at P.Roma, I will be getting off the "People Mover" from the Port, Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,

I am thinking that I will reverse my journey, i.e. I will take the Vaporetto from P. Roma to the Rialto Bridge then on foot to San. Marco, and in case it gets busy ,or I catch the wrong Vaporetto :eek: I will walk back to P.Roma. Could anyone tell me where the Vaperetto stop is at P.Roma, I will be getting off the "People Mover" from the Port, Thanks in advance.

When you get off the People Mover, walk toward the piazza, which is primarily a huge parking lot for taxis and buses. Turn left and cross the piazza toward the water; the vaporetto office and docks are just to the left of the new bridge that goes over the canal.

If you make a google map of Piazzale Roma and zoom in on the satellite view, you'll see what I mean.

You might also want to keep in mind that a single ride on a vaporetto costs 6.5 Euros per person...so walking is more economical for reasonable distances. That being said, you can buy various time passes at the ACTV office located in the P. Roma (or at a few other places around Venice) and they sell those passes for 12, 24, 36, 48 and 72 hours. They usually make sense if you are going to take at least 3 vaporetto rides per day.

Hank

Thanks for your help, I have read on another thread that there is a Vaporetto stop by the port, if so, I will get this one to San,Marco, do you know if this is correct? :rolleyes:

There is no vaporetto stop at the port. Alilaguna, the water bus company, has a stop there however, and a direct line from the cruise port to San Marco. Alilaguna is a different company than ACTV, which runs the vaporetto, and has their own ticketing system.

Alilaguna: http://www.alilaguna.it/index.en.html

ACTV (vaporettos): http://www.actv.it/

With only 1 day in venice, I would skip Murano. The Vaporetto to Rialto or San marco will be 30-45 minutes. The Doge's palace and St Mark's use up the rest of the morning. After lunch walk to Rialto and the frari church stopping at La Fenice.---you get the idea I just think Murano takes too much time if you have only one day. Borrow or buy Rick Steeve's guide to Venice He has suggested walking and vaporetto tours for 1 day. There is enough on both sides of the Grand canal to keep you going for weeks let alone a day.

There is a lot of sense here. Part of Venice is simply enjoying the city, rather than ticking off landmarks. If you can afford it then please give serious consideration to Bellinis at Florians in San Marco. That would certainly merit the time.

In my view you will not get the beauty of Venice if you are simply rushing to fit everything in. Especially during a one day visit. It is really a place that merits at least an overnight stay, if not more.

However, a day in Venice is still better than a week in London......

WD

Archived