Just booked a trip but not with Cunard

north east girl

Hi everybody, I've had to go with RCI because Cunard did not have a trip for August with dates suitable for us.

We are going from Venice for 7 days round the Med then back to Venice.

Any advice from our Cunard friends would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Catherine and Tony

Catherine :eek:

It's a good job that I am lying down - would you believe it, I am recovering from Novovirus type bug - not caught on a ship either!

We will have to have words with Cunard about its August schedule ;)

We enjoyed our trip with that line a few years ago (pre QM2 though). It was fine. Venice is wonderful so I am sure you and Tony will have a great time.

best wishes

heywood

Catherine :eek:

It's a good job that I am lying down - would you believe it, I am recovering from Novovirus type bug - not caught on a ship either!

We will have to have words with Cunard about its August schedule ;)

We enjoyed our trip with that line a few years ago (pre QM2 though). It was fine. Venice is wonderful so I am sure you and Tony will have a great time.

best wishes

heywood

Sorry to hear you are now well Kath, hope you are better soon.

Would have loved to book QE but only have a week off in August. We have been to Venice a few times when the children were younger and loved it.

We have got a good deal with flights included, they have a sale on for today and that is why we have booked.

Any way have two things to look forward to now with the cruise and Michelle's wedding.

Catherine

Try to spend an extra day or two in Venice before or after your cruise.

Venice is worth as much time as you can give it. It really is a wonderful place :) However August is not the best time to visit - it's too hot and the canals tend to become rather noticeable :eek: - my advice would be to have a short visit to Venice when you're on your cruise and then plan to go back for a holiday when Venice itself will be the main attraction and not your cruise.

Sorry to hear you are now well Kath, hope you are better soon.

Would have loved to book QE but only have a week off in August. We have been to Venice a few times when the children were younger and loved it.

We have got a good deal with flights included, they have a sale on for today and that is why we have booked.

Any way have two things to look forward to now with the cruise and Michelle's wedding.

Catherine

As pnhmrk (Malcolm?) says it is very hot in Venice in August but as part of the bigger picture it will be great. Also of course the wedding will be top priority this coming year :)

Choosing your outfit will be even more of a task than the evening dresses for QM2 ;)

We sailed with Celebrity on our first cruise (on a par at the time with Cunard) and the next time went with RCI which was good but didn't have the finer details which we had noticed with Celebrity and later experienced with Cunard.

I am much better thanks and it only lasted 24 hours but I feel whacked! I have been up and about but have had to have a lie down! It makes you really understand how keen they are on board to avoid these illnesses.

Hi everybody, I've had to go with RCI because Cunard did not have a trip for August with dates suitable for us.

Thank You.

Catherine and Tony

Me too, except we're going with HAL !

Venice is worth as much time as you can give it. It really is a wonderful place :) However August is not the best time to visit - it's too hot and the canals tend to become rather noticeable :eek: - my advice would be to have a short visit to Venice when you're on your cruise and then plan to go back for a holiday when Venice itself will be the main attraction and not your cruise.

Hi pnhmrk, We have visited Venice a few times when we have had holidays in Italy. With this cruise it is sail from Venice then back to Venice for overnight then fly home.

I think like you say it is going to be really hot, so one day will suit us fine.

Catherine

As pnhmrk (Malcolm?) says it is very hot in Venice in August but as part of the bigger picture it will be great. Also of course the wedding will be top priority this coming year :)

Choosing your outfit will be even more of a task than the evening dresses for QM2 ;)

We sailed with Celebrity on our first cruise (on a par at the time with Cunard) and the next time went with RCI which was good but didn't have the finer details which we had noticed with Celebrity and later experienced with Cunard.

I am much better thanks and it only lasted 24 hours but I feel whacked! I have been up and about but have had to have a lie down! It makes you really understand how keen they are on board to avoid these illnesses.

Hi Kath, Just read my previous message, sorry about the little mistake from the first line of the message. Will let you read it again. So pleased you are feeling much better.

Will have to wait and see what we think of RCI, will just go with the flow.

Catherine

Hi Zider, How does that work? We are in the UK.

Catherine

check the price on the Cruise Lines own Uk web site. If you are talking RCI/Celebrity then if the price of your cruise has dropped - The price comparison has to be for the same grade of cabin that you have booked.

Sometimes in order to get around this they offer a guarantee grade in the cabin category at a lower price and leave the other grades at original price, in which case you have no claim to a price reduction.

On the other hand if your cabin grade price has gone down you should be able to claim the price drop. BUT not all Travel agents are aware of this price promise nor adhere to it. Again this only applies to RCI/Celebrity.

Thank You.

Catherine and Tony

Catherine,

We went on the Explorer of the Seas last year because we were missing Bermuda. I actually liked it very much. My advice to you is to just enjoy the ship. RCI ships are different from the Cunard ships in the activities and the way people dress, particularly on formal evenings. I took a gown with me and my husband took his tux and we were the only ones dressed that way. However there was an effort made by most people to look nice. And I would wear a gown if indeed I travel on another RCI. Most of the activity takes place around the pools and other outdoor activity, and you are apt to see buckets of beer and contests around the pool. Just go with the flow and enjoy the things that the ship has to offer. And try not to compare too much. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Gail:)

check the price on the Cruise Lines own Uk web site. If you are talking RCI/Celebrity then if the price of your cruise has dropped - The price comparison has to be for the same grade of cabin that you have booked.

Sometimes in order to get around this they offer a guarantee grade in the cabin category at a lower price and leave the other grades at original price, in which case you have no claim to a price reduction.

On the other hand if your cabin grade price has gone down you should be able to claim the price drop. BUT not all Travel agents are aware of this price promise nor adhere to it. Again this only applies to RCI/Celebrity.

Hi zider, thanks for this information, will have to keep checking out the prices.

Catherine

Catherine,

We went on the Explorer of the Seas last year because we were missing Bermuda. I actually liked it very much. My advice to you is to just enjoy the ship. RCI ships are different from the Cunard ships in the activities and the way people dress, particularly on formal evenings. I took a gown with me and my husband took his tux and we were the only ones dressed that way. However there was an effort made by most people to look nice. And I would wear a gown if indeed I travel on another RCI. Most of the activity takes place around the pools and other outdoor activity, and you are apt to see buckets of beer and contests around the pool. Just go with the flow and enjoy the things that the ship has to offer. And try not to compare too much. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Gail:)

Hi Gail, thanks for sharing your experience on RCI. We have only been on Cunard ships and have enjoyed them very much.

I think a long as we do go with the flow and try not to compare with Cunard we will enjoy it. We only have one sea day the rest are ports of call. I don't think we will be round the pool that much.

I will be having a birthday whilst on board so will enjoy the fact that we are away for my birthday.

Catherine

Thank You.

Catherine and Tony

While it's confession time, we've booked another cruise line too - P&O in August with Paul's boys. Cunard didn't work and we wanted to get the boys on a cruise soon whilst they're still malleable! So it wlll be Oceana for a week to see Guernsey, France & Spain. I looked at the RCI Venice one as well!

Hope you two are well (and Heywood too) and plans are going well for Michelle's wedding.

Hope to see you (and more northern cruisers) in the New Year

We have only been on Cunard ships and have enjoyed them very much.

RCI spend more money on the hardware (the ships) than Carnival Corp - their ships are well designed and attractive.

I found the food to be pretty similar to Cunard Mauretania/Britannia - my only gripe was the main courses had huge amounts of protein and very few veg.

The main 'downsides' vs Cunard are i) the quality of the booze - don't touch their 'house brand spirits' and their 'sparkling wine' makes you pine for Pol Acker and ii) the 'Library' - had about 3 books.

Other than that I'm sure you'll have a great voyage!

My only cruise so far was on RCI's Explorer of the Seas last January to the Caribbean. The ship was beautiful, the service outstanding and the food quite good. My complaint, and the reason I am trying QM2 this coming January, is that with pages of activities I could find very few that interested me.

By the way, on that cruise there were many people who dressed quite beautifully for the formal nights. I really enjoyed seeing whole families in their elegant clothes.

Maam, your welcome. No matter where you go on those vessels your in for a well time. As in life and love, cruising is what we make of it, which is great!;)

May you have calm seas and wonderful time with your family.

Thanks, I hope it's not going to be too much of a shock.

While it's confession time, we've booked another cruise line too - P&O in August with Paul's boys. Cunard didn't work and we wanted to get the boys on a cruise soon whilst they're still malleable! So it wlll be Oceana for a week to see Guernsey, France & Spain. I looked at the RCI Venice one as well!

Hope you two are well (and Heywood too) and plans are going well for Michelle's wedding.

Hope to see you (and more northern cruisers) in the New Year

Thanks Bispham Boo, I think we should try other cruise lines just to see what they are like. If we don't like it we will not go again. I think the ports of call will be very interesting.

Also looking forward to sailing out of Venice. Please let me know what you think of P & O.

Would love to see everybody again next year.

Catherine

My only cruise so far was on RCI's Explorer of the Seas last January to the Caribbean. The ship was beautiful, the service outstanding and the food quite good. My complaint, and the reason I am trying QM2 this coming January, is that with pages of activities I could find very few that interested me.

By the way, on that cruise there were many people who dressed quite beautifully for the formal nights. I really enjoyed seeing whole families in their elegant clothes.

Thanks SusieQQQ, It would be nice if people do dress up on an evening, I will be making the effect.

Catherine

Hello Catherine and Tony: Nice to hear you have another cruise booked - the itinerary sounds super. Michael and I sailed on a different cruise line out of Venice many years ago in August, but with the jet-lag and the heat - we did the ship's tour in a total daze. :confused: Would love to go back (or end up in Venice for an extra night or two) another time.

We have a cruise booked for April next year, this time on the Oceania Line, and, we're booked on the QE Baltics cruise next August. The following year, we may do a land tour somewhere because we're still trying to lose the few pounds gained on our QM2 cruise in September.:eek:

Good luck with all the Wedding arrangements :)

Shirley

Archived