Princess is just evil <g>

Ula

I just figure that some day, when my cruising days wind down, I'll re-do the kitchen and bathrooms, tear out the carpeting and replace with hardwood floors, etc. Until then, I'm going cruising. :)

I hope that you never meet my wife.:):rolleyes:

john

We have known too many people that thought they were being responsible (by repairing the house, paying the bills, etc.) when they were younger. They put off travel until they were older and could afford it. The only problem was that they were prevented from travelling later in life because of their health.

There has to be a balance in life. Yes, be responsible - but live a little too!:D

I just figure that some day, when my cruising days wind down, I'll re-do the kitchen and bathrooms, tear out the carpeting and replace with hardwood floors, etc. Until then, I'm going cruising. :)

Just consider it being putting your house in drydock.

Pam's house will probably end up looking like the Sapphire Princess! ;)

I am with you guys! Vacation time, babysitters, money, was a problem for the last 15 yrs. we started travelling. My dh and I are mid-50's. Within the past 2 yrs., my boss of 25 yrs. died suddenly, causing me to be out of a job. Last yr., our daughter, who was 34, but was about age 2 mentally, died of a heart attack with no warning. I am home yet without my daughter to care for. I have the time now, but not the money. We're not broke yet. We need a new roof. My dh does have a job. We just got back from a 10 day cruise on the Emerald. We do not regret spending the money. We needed the sea to bring us some peace. We will need the sea to bring us more peace in the future, as anyone that has lost a child knows that it's never ending hell. Life is short! Spend the money and go when your healthy. I did do our onboard future booking!

We need some stuff done on the house like a new roof and paint. Do have an 2011 cruise planed with my folks to Hawaii. Figured use the extra money for those tasks with only one curise. Princess sends out a flier, and Mr Ula keeps picking it up and looking at it. I finally said to him just what are you looking at. He goes Crown and Scotland in August. I can roof the house myself. So he, who for years would only camp, is into two cruises a year now.

And no at his age he will not roof the house. Will just cut back in other places. He is all excited about Normandy.

I understand perfectly... we need outside paint, new floor and cabinets in the kitchen, and new tile in the bathroom... but if we did all that, we couldn't cruise... OH WELL... the neighbors will just have to accept another year of fading paint!!

I changed from backpacking to cruising. I tell you, I am loving it. I had one try and than it became an addiction. My friends think I am crazy. I believe cruising is a great way of travelling. Can't wait until I retire and move on to a cruise ship, cheaper than a resthome and not as boring.

I can't explain it.......that feeling inside of me when we're driving up to the pier and I can see the cruise ship in the distance, the butterflies inside my stomach, the promise of the days ahead filled with distant horizons and the open sea.....No other form of travel can make me feel such awe.

As my darling 91 year old mom reminds me, there are no guarantees for tomorrow so travel now while we're (relatively) young and bouncy and can tolerate strange mattresses and new foods, so we have wonderful memories for the years to come. I always listen to mom. :D

LoriPhil, you have a very wise mother. I have friends who waited to travel until they retired and never were able to because of health issues.

Hi Brenda

Puppy Shogun says have a great cruise, while I may get to to sea on a ferry will not get the chance to go on a cruise ship.

I am 1 year and week old today

yours shogun

Wonderful news! Enjoy every day with him!

Brenda will be on her 14th cruise in November. She's 10 1/2 years old and is slowing down a bit - not enough for the average person to see because people always ask me about her age. She's a "kick-in-the-head" to watch when she's playing with the tennis ball but, she's not walking quite as briskly and does like to nap a bit more, with a very loud "snoring" sound!

We'll be onboard the Sapphire on the 27th and I can't wait to see her face when she spots the open sea.......she just loves it!!! Not to mention all the attention she gets from the other passengers.

wouldn't it be great to live by a port? the airfare is a killer! more than the cruise sometimes!

We put our house in Michigan on the market so we could move to Florida. Part for the weather and part to be closer to ports so we could participate in more of these great deals Princess teases us with! Too bad nobody in Michigan has any money to buy our house. Hey, are they all spending it on cruises too? :rolleyes:

We put our house in Michigan on the market so we could move to Florida. Part for the weather and part to be closer to ports so we could participate in more of these great deals Princess teases us with! Too bad nobody in Michigan has any money to buy our house. Hey, are they all spending it on cruises too? :rolleyes:

Yes. We are going as often as possible. ;)

wouldn't it be great to live by a port? the airfare is a killer! more than the cruise sometimes!

It really is great living by a port. I live in Southern California so have done many cruises to Mexico. I was able to take advantage of an unplanned cruise last February on the Sapphire because the rate was $379 for an obstructed ocean view and I got upgraded to a full ocean view on the Plaza.

Now, if only I had a second house in Fort Lauderdale I would be so very happy.:D:D

I can't explain it.......that feeling inside of me when we're driving up to the pier and I can see the cruise ship in the distance, the butterflies inside my stomach, the promise of the days ahead filled with distant horizons and the open sea.....No other form of travel can make me feel such awe.

I couldn't have said it better. There really is no other feeling like it for me and I am also able to totally disengage from life back on shore. Don't watch the news, don't check email - just live in that cruising world!

I've cruised 14 times with several first time cruisers. Up until my cruise last November with one of my friends, everyone I traveled with also became cruise lovers and some fanatics. The friend I traveled with last November didn't like it and said once you've walked the ship and seen it what else is there to do She stayed in the cabin most of the time - can you imagine?!?!

As my darling 91 year old mom reminds me, there are no guarantees for tomorrow so travel now while we're (relatively) young and bouncy and can tolerate strange mattresses and new foods, so we have wonderful memories for the years to come. I always listen to mom. :D

I like your mom too!;)

We have been cruising and traveling for 30+ years. Last night, I thought to myself planning our travels keeps life interesting, we are always planning an adventure of some sort. Long ago we decided not to buy property, we rent and put all our extra money into travel. Have never been sorry.

I couldn't have said it better. There really is no other feeling like it for me and I am also able to totally disengage from life back on shore. Don't watch the news, don't check email - just live in that cruising world!

I've cruised 14 times with several first time cruisers. Up until my cruise last November with one of my friends, everyone I traveled with also became cruise lovers and some fanatics. The friend I traveled with last November didn't like it and said once you've walked the ship and seen it what else is there to do She stayed in the cabin most of the time - can you imagine?!?!

Nope I can't imagine that at all!!!!!

I am like you ....I get on board and disengage from work and life back home as I know it :)

When last visiting my doctor for routine checks, she asked if I would be taking any additional cruises again this year. I said, "Yes, as a matter of fact I have a trans Atlantic booked with a Caribbean follow up". I then added, "And my nieces and nephews are paying for it all. She smiled and said, "Well, isn't that wonderful..." I quickly added, "Well, they don't know that yet but they will when I am gone". She laughed so hard I thought I would have to attend her.

We have cruised several times but haven't in a while. Parents health issues have prevented it. What I want to know is how the cruise lines always seem to have brochures and pamphlets delivered in the mail on a day when it is rainy, or cold, or dreary? DH and I call them our "love letters" from the cruise lines.

How do they know when to send them when I am just getting antsy for another trip? I always get the lovely and enticing mail and emails with the glossy photos of some far away beautiful and interesting place. My first words are "that's just mean."

Not had much money to cruise lately, took care of mom when she was sick and DHs company got sold-he got a job thankfully, but took a cut in pay. Mom is better now, but when I got a new job thankfully, had to take a cut in pay too, so no extra money for cruising. We are just happy to have jobs, some people are not as fortunate, so the cruise lines will still just have to be "mean" and we will just have to live vicariously through our cruising friends until it is time to get to go again.

You sound like us!!! We will continue to cruise and THEN do the house renovations later.

Archived