Alternate restaurant reservation policy on Marina

wripro

We have reservations on three upcoming O cruises. Two are on The R ships. One on Regatta on 9/11/11 and the other on Insignia on 2/7/12. On both of these cruises on the O internet site, you can click manage your cruise and there is an option to make dining reservations. It is interesting that on our upcoming Marina cruise (2/25/11) the option to make dining reservations is not listed.

Are you boarding the Marina a day early? ;)

Although the Marina arrives in San Francisco on the 25th, she boards new passengers on the 26th.

Have you already made final payment for 2/26/11? It's not due yet.

Assuming a cruise under 17 days, on the R ships, all suites and the concierge class receive the same number of reservations...two at each venue. On the Marina (at this time), all suites and the concierge class do not receive that same number of reservations of two at each venue...only twenty-three of them do.

2 each at 2 restaurants is 4. 1 each at 4 restaurants is 4. Nobody has lost any.

The sailings that we are discussing are 18+ night sailings.

Please factor that into your math.

2 each (18+ night sailings) at 4 restaurants = 8

3 each (18+ night sailings) at 4 restaurants = 12

8 or 12. But not only 4 nights total for categories that paid for more on 18-night sailings.

2 each at 2 restaurants is 4. 1 each at 4 restaurants is 4. Nobody has lost any.

Don,

There is no sense in pretending that you do not understand this because I KNOW that you are smarter than that.

2 reservations in each restaurant on an R ship is 4

2 reservations in each restaurant on Marina is 8 (not 4).

If they allow only 1 reservation for PH on Marina, it would be 4, but that would represent a CHANGE in policy that people are objecting to (and which was not clearly stated before people booked and paid for PH).

Of course they have lost something - they were reduced from 2 reservation in each restaurant to only 1 reservation in each restaurant (net loss - 4 reservations).

See my post #93 above.

Don,

There is no sense in pretending that you do not understand this because I KNOW that you are smarter than that.

2 reservations in each restaurant on an R ship is 4

2 reservations in each restaurant on Marina is 8 (not 4).

If they allow only 1 reservation for PH on Marina, it would be 4, but that would represent a CHANGE in policy that people are objecting to (and which was not clearly stated before people booked and paid for PH).

See my post #93 above.

Exactly right, and thank you.

We were told and we read that Penthouses would get three reservations each in the specialty restaurants, and I have said we are willing to accept a downgrade to two each, but only one per specialty restaurant is really too much of a reduction.

Perhaps one solution (I don't know how other penthouse suite occupants would feel about this) would be for suite occupants to get a complimentary evening in La Reserve, which holds 24 guests.

If you don't count the first night out (embarkation) or the last night (getting ready for disembarkation), then 16 nights times 24 passengers means that 374 passengers could be accommodated there, which is more than the sum of all suite passengers (including the very top suites, who are apparently still getting the extra nights in the SR's) on the ship at 2 passengers per suite stateroom.

By my count (and I counted fast and may have made a mistake), there are (at dual occupancy per suite), 244 Penthouse suite occupants and 46 "top suite" occupants.

We booked this cruise directly from an Oceania agent in Miami. We made the booking with that agent's information and authority, and feel Oceania should honor the 2 reservations per restaurant policy for PH's which equals 8 as there are four specialty restaurants. We discussed this AT the booking time, and regardless of all the logistical talk, if that is what was stated, and that is what should be delivered. We are assigned a PH2, and waitlisted for a PH1. This is our third Oceania cruise, and we expect to do many more. However, we do not appreciate the reneging on what was agreed on at booking. Yes, this is a new ship, but if Oceania can figure out complicated issues of its construction and management, don't tell me someone didn't think of the restaurant reservations, too. Our agent made a contract with us and that was one of the provisions. We paid in full and THEN heard from her that EVERY stateroom was to get only one reservation per restaurant...even OS. Now we hear that PH and lower get only one each? It seems the rules change every day. Time to reinstate the same dining rules that are on the R class ships...as originally promised.

I wonder how the folks on the Maiden Voyage are handling this problem?

...then certainly you will be more than happy to agree to having only 2 reservations total and making your choice of the 2 venues you would like to choose out of the 4 specialty restaurants aboard Marina if you are booked in a category below concierge.

That's fair isn't it?

I think that Privee and La Reserve ought to be factored into the equation. There is food served there, isn't there?

Oh, by the way, where do you get the numbers of seats for each restaurant?

I am not sure how La Reserve & Privee work so I did not put them in my equation... not everyone will want to dine there maybe

I asked about the number of seats per SR which was 120 each whether they will book the total available each night is another matter

Also it was posted back in 2009 on the O website

Red Ginger will offer both traditional and fusion dishes amid comfortable, visually stunning surroundings, with seating for 126.

so that has changed also

Seems the Marina info is in a state of flux

...then certainly you will be more than happy to agree to having only 2 reservations total and making your choice of the 2 venues you would like to choose out of the 4 specialty restaurants aboard Marina if you are booked in a category below concierge.

That's fair isn't it?

You are absolutely correct that it would be fair. I am booked in a B4, and I booked on the first day possible with absolutely no knowledge of the specialty restaurant policy. If that is what they chose to do, it's fine with me.

But, Oceania decided to be more than fair. They decided that on the new ship, everyone should have an opportunity to try all four of the restaurants at least once. In order to do so, it appears they had to avoid giving the penthouse and concierge passengers twice as many.

That's their decision, and all the griping in the world isn't going to change it (at least for the Maiden Voyage, which I am on).

That's their decision, and all the griping in the world isn't going to change it (at least for the Maiden Voyage, which I am on).

Don - With all due respect they have changed the policy several times at this point. There is no reason why it couldn't be changed prior to the Maiden Voyage (over two months away).

As the OS, VS and Oceania cabins get 8 reservations, the PH and Concierge cabins could get 6 with the remaining cabins retaining their allotted 4.

That would be fair.

FWIW I am also on the maiden voyage.

Earlier you said you were a newbie on Oceania. well, guess what -- when it comes to Marina, we are ALL newbies, and don't have a clue.

About me as a newbie to Oceania:

I am absolutely new to Oceania. Two things kept me off the ships until our recent four bookings, even though I am very keen on the "country club casual" and "very limited smoking" aspects, as people who have read my posts on other boards know. There are two main reasons I have not cruised Oceania until now:

1. Oceania never came anywhere near my homeport of San Francisco, and every itinerary I ever read about (except the Sea of Cortez, which I would have booked, had I not learned about it too late), would have required at least a five hour flight (ugh) to Miami or beyond.

Once I know a ship or cruise line and like it, I might fly to or from a distant location, but I don't want to fly to Miami for a Caribbean cruise (been there, done that, didn't care for it, even on my favorite ship [which no longer sails] and with my favorite staff and crew).

2. In the early days of Oceania, I read numerous reports of "nickel and diming", art auctions, less than stellar food and other stuff that did not entice me to sail on Oceania. I needed the improvement of product, which was not there at the very beginning. I think the product has significantly improved, at least I am hopeful it has, hence my bookings.

It took the promises made by Oceania for the new Marina and the addition of San Francisco as a port of embarkation/disembarkation to get me interested in Oceania. Once I read what was promised, I booked as soon as I could.

About you (hondorner) as a newbie to Marina:

I mean absolutely no disrespect to you but honestly, my first reaction to your statement that you are a newbie to Marina is: Say....what?! Is this a joke?

Are you not the very same fellow who was flown to Italy with a select few others, who walked the corridors and entered the staterooms and filmed them with a flip videorecorder? Is your wife's signature not on the steel of the hull of the Riviera, Marina's sister ship?

You do have "a clue" about the new Marina. I am happy for you that you had that opportunity to actually walk the ship, and I truly appreciate the informational posts you write here on Cruise Critic, most of which is usually quite helpful, but honestly, I find it hard to understand that you include yourself among the rest of us who really do have to rely solely on what information has been published in brochures, on line, told to us by Oceania's own agents, etc.

Personally, I have said "good things" about Oceania in other forums and I have gone the extra mile when it comes to commending reservation agents who have been just wonderful (in the beginning) and I still always take the time to commend them to their supervisors.

But I do have a beef with how several things have been handled with the introduction of the Marina, with the downgrades to the experience that was marketed to me and for which we paid, and so do others.

I don't think it is in anyone's best interest to suggest that all is well, that all is fair, especially as our final payment (speaking for myself and others in the penthouse categories) deadline looms.

Oceans,

I can well understand your preference for sailing out of SF because we did our first QE2 cruise and a recent T/A on NCL precisely because the ships left from NYC. How nice to take a cab to the ship rather than a 6 hour flight. Now if only the Oceania cruises leaving from NY will come to the Brooklyn port rather than the West Side ...

But I really don't understand your comments about "numerous reports of 'nickel and diming', art auctions, less than stellar food and other stuff that did not entice me to sail on Oceania."

Renaissance did a lot of nickel and diming, but I never thought Oceania did. Maybe I'm in denial. It's possible! If you call charging for water to take off the ship "nickel and diming" -- which they did until recently -- yes, that's true. But the food has always been excellent and we ignored the art auctions! So maybe you heard things that I never did which caused you to avoid Oceania.

We moved to Oceania from Renaissance simply because we loved the ships, and we found Oceania to be an "upgrade" from the outset. I'm delighted that now the soft drinks are free, the water is free, and so on. But that's a small part of our enjoyment of the cruiseline.

In the meantime, I hope your questions are addressed and that you enjoy your cruise.

Mura

You are absolutely correct that it would be fair. I am booked in a B4, and I booked on the first day possible with absolutely no knowledge of the specialty restaurant policy. If that is what they chose to do, it's fine with me.

But, Oceania decided to be more than fair. They decided that on the new ship, everyone should have an opportunity to try all four of the restaurants at least once. In order to do so, it appears they had to avoid giving the penthouse and concierge passengers twice as many.

Then...why not give only 4 reservations to the OS, VS and OC along in the process? THAT would be fair to all...

Oceania is NOT being as you said "more than fair" to all of their clients.

If you see those that comment differently or don't support your form of logic as "griping" so be it. I don't support your logic or Oceania's in this instance. I stand by what I and many others have previously posted in this thread in disagreement of what Oceania has purportedly chosen to do...

Kathleen

You are right - it is their decision. The question here is - is it fair to change/announce it after some people have already paid for their PH cabins believing otherwise? Future cruisers may decide if they are willing to pay for PH or not - that will be their decision (not Oceania's).

Now if only the Oceania cruises leaving from NY will come to the Brooklyn port rather than the West Side ...

Oh, dear, that sense of humor does sound like a buddy of mine who hails from Brooklyn. ;):):D

However, I am very much looking forward to cruising on the Regatta from Manhattan next year.

Brooklynites are quite welcome to cross the bridge and join us, and in fact, we are hopeful that they will. ;)

I have to honestly admit that when I booked the Marina for next year, I had not reviewed the brochure regarding restaurant reservations. I booked like most for the experience of a brand spanking new ship, experience and itinerary that fit into my schedule of plans. I have been in PH and Concierge of three of my cruises understandning full well of the amount of reservations in each. As I have stated before, I choose for the location and contemplating upgrading to the wait list of PH because I want to and not because of the extra reservations. I empathize with any, veteran and/or newbies who booked simply for the extra reservations only to discover a change in the number per restaurant. For those who have paid their final, I concur that Oceania should own up. For those with future cruises and deposits such as myself, we have a choice in the matter whether or not to sail. I would never consider canceling based on this alone. Purely my choice and no one else's. I look forward to the Marina and will always have a great time no matter what their decision will be on this matter.

I really would love to take that Regatta cruise from NYC (even if it's from the Manhattan ports!) next year but I suspect it won't happen ... we're booked on a Regatta Alaska cruise in June which I suspect also will not happen! (Mainly because we are already booked to take Danish friends on a road trip up to New England in June ... can't be in two places at once!)

I don't mind going in to Manhattan, although we have Manhattan friends who are convinced they need passports to cross the Brooklyn Bridge ... And if you fall off the bridge, you're practically at our building ...

We really should meet!

I have to honestly admit that when I booked the Marina for next year, I had not reviewed the brochure regarding restaurant reservations. I booked like most for the experience of a brand spanking new ship, experience and itinerary that fit into my schedule of plans. I have been in PH and Concierge of three of my cruises understandning full well of the amount of reservations in each. As I have stated before, I choose for the location and contemplating upgrading to the wait list of PH because I want to and not because of the extra reservations. I empathize with any, veteran and/or newbies who booked simply for the extra reservations only to discover a change in the number per restaurant. For those who have paid their final, I concur that Oceania should own up. For those with future cruises and deposits such as myself, we have a choice in the matter whether or not to sail. I would never consider canceling based on this alone. Purely my choice and no one else's. I look forward to the Marina and will always have a great time no matter what their decision will be on this matter.

I agree with you about some things.

We have 3 Marina cruises booked and I can't wait. I love Oceania and I am pretty sure I will love the Marina as well.

That does not keep me from voicing my opinion about this issue.

Oceania is great but not infallible. When I see something I think is not right - I will say so; and I still love Oceania. But I am not one of those in whose book Oceania can do no wrong no matter what.

Hondorner: you say Oceania decided that everyone should have an opportunity to try all 4 special restaurants at least once. Fine. WHEN was this decided? It appears it was AFTER bookings and payments were made. If so, then these changes are certainly not fair. How can Oceania commit and then change their rules? No wonder this forum is getting such attention. We are not "griping," either. We are expressing our concerns and expect Oceania to listen to them.

I really would love to take that Regatta cruise from NYC (even if it's from the Manhattan ports!) next year but I suspect it won't happen ... we're booked on a Regatta Alaska cruise in June which I suspect also will not happen! (Mainly because we are already booked to take Danish friends on a road trip up to New England in June ... can't be in two places at once!)

I don't mind going in to Manhattan, although we have Manhattan friends who are convinced they need passports to cross the Brooklyn Bridge ... And if you fall off the bridge, you're practically at our building ...

We really should meet!

OK, how's this? Change your Regatta Alaska booking to 8/26/2011, round trip from San Francisco! We're booked!

There, that was easy, wasn't it? ;)

P.S. Feel free to invite your Danish friends along. It will be a very international outing, as my husband was born and raised in Japan. With East Coast/West Coast/European/Japanese we are pretty much guaranteed to know the answers to all the questions in Trivia. :D

We have 3 Marina cruises booked and I can't wait. I love Oceania and I am pretty sure I will love the Marina as well.

Oceania is great but not infallible. When I see something I think is not right - I will say so; and I still love Oceania. But I am not one of those in whose book Oceania can do no wrong no matter what.

:):)

Hondorner: you say Oceania decided that everyone should have an opportunity to try all 4 special restaurants at least once. Fine. WHEN was this decided? It appears it was AFTER bookings and payments were made. If so, then these changes are certainly not fair. How can Oceania commit and then change their rules? No wonder this forum is getting such attention. We are not "griping," either. We are expressing our concerns and expect Oceania to listen to them.

In fact, as recently as Nov 3rd Jancruz, who knows a thing or two about Oceania, posted this in post #12 on this thread (quote);

As of now the dining policy on the Marina will be the same as on the other three ships

Jancruz1

Jan

That implies that she, among many others, believed that the old rules would apply (and she is quite knowledgeable about Oceania)

So less than a week ago it was "things as per usual". Now it's a different story. I think it's this inconsistency that people object to; as well as having the policy changed after final payments were made.

As I had said before, if Oceania goofed, own up to it and make it right - at least for those people that have already committed.

Then state a clear new policy for Marina (even if temporary, stating that it may change in the future, based on actual experience) so that people who have not yet committed will know what to expect and what category cabin to book.

That to me shows real caring for the line that you love. It is much more constructive than the staunch, "my line can do no wrong" cheerleading that often occurs on cruise "critic".

Archived