What age did you stop bringing a stroller?

decoste45

Hi everyone,

My ds will be almost 4 on your next cruise in March. I am contemplating not bringing the stroller.

We are flying from Canada to Ft.lauderdale for a 10 night Caribbean cruise on HAL and then spending 10 days in Orlando. So, we will be bringing 3 large suitcases and his car seat - yes I pack way too much!!:p

We have a good stroller that folds up small (I think a a Peg Perego Pilko is the model). He is so active that I wonder if we will even use it.

What age did everyone here stop bringing a stroller?

Thanks!:D

if you are doing Disney, yes to stroller...if not, we are cruising later this month with our 3 year old and we will not have a stroller for her. Our 1 year old will have that. I don't think a 4 year old should be in one unless their are physical challenges to them not being mobile.

I sailed w/DD last when she was about 3.5. We brought both the stroller and the car seat. The stroller was a lifesaver walking around in port. The car seat never got used.

ETA: on our upcoming cruise, I'll bring the stroller again, but it will be used by our infant. The carseats will stay in the car.

I don't remember exactly when we stopped taking the stroller but I know we used for probably a year after my son sat in it just to carry all the extra things we had with us because of him - sweaters, change of clothes, juice boxes, crackers, wet wipes, band-aids. Especially if you are going to Disney, Universal or Sea World, you may want the stroller to carry 'stuff'. There is no such thing as traveling light with young kids - be prepared is the motto.

I know I'm in the minority, but my girls turned five on our last cruise and I brought ours. I was especially glad to have it when we had a distant gate change and the girls were already tired from the first leg of our flight, and it came in handy during all-day walks in port. It's just a fact that I can walk longer/farther than they can, so I like to have it so we can keep going rather than have to stop because they're tired. Clearly though, this is a personal choice. Mostly my girls walked and the stroller was a rolling tote bag, but I was glad to have it when needed.

Best,

Mia

Depends upon the kid -- DD loved the stroller and we took it/used it until she was 5.5YO. She was the type who was fine zonking out in it for a mid afternoon nap. She had no problem getting in and out so if we needed to go up a few stairs, she'd hop out and then hop back in. And as Mia points out -- it is a great way to "haul" things. DD is now 15YO and there are many times I miss having the stroller! :D

My daughter is 4.5 and still sits in a stroller - especially when she is tired. There is no reason an older child can't sit in a stroller....there is nothing wrong with it - kids get tired. Why would a child that old have to have physical challenges to be in a stroller????

If they fit in it, enjoy it and are content...nothing wrong with it!

Personally I will be bringing a stroller ...wouldn't consider leaving home without it!

My DS is almost 4 and I was thinking of not bringing a stroller when we go next week. We won't use it in port and probably not on the ship. However, I think it will be nice in the airport and the cruise terminal in case there is a long line.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm going on a cruise to the Western Mediterranean next May with my son who will be turning 3 next month. He doesn't really use his stroller at home any more (hasn't since he really started walking), but he still takes naps during the day. Do you folks think I should bring the stroller so he can nap in it while we are on excursions and/or just exploring the ports or don't bother bringing it? We've got enough family members traveling with us to carry him if he gets too tired to walk, but I don't think anyone would really want to carry a 33+lbs kid napping on their shoulder for over 2 hours. :eek: Also, since I am leading our party of 10, it's not really feasible to me to separate from the group for 2+ hours each day so my son can nap in the cabin... Just thinking about the hassle of carrying an extra piece of gear which may not even get used each day.

Like the other poster said, if you're going to disneyworld, I would definitely bring it. It's about 18 or 20 bucks a day to rent them there. We've kept our small stroller for our 4 year old just for our disney trip next year. We wouldn't dream of bringing it on a cruise though - he wouldn't stay in it and wouldn't be tired out enough to want to use it - very different scenario at disney though.

We didn't bring our stroller on our last cruise (DD just turned 4) in the interest of traveling light. DD was fine in the airport and on the ship, however, at the end of the day in Nassau, my hubs had to carry her after we got off the jitney - she was just beat. She fell asleep on his shoulder while riding the jitney and never even stirred when we got off at our stop. So he carried all 37 lbs of her probably a good mile from the jitney stop, through the straw market, down the pier and then back up to our room. He's a firefighter, so it didn't phase him, but in retrospect, that stroller would have been very nice to have!

My son is 4.5 I brought the stroller on our March cruise. It was perfect in the airport and for napping on long port days. We did not bring it in Aug and regretted it the entire time.

I'll bring it again in Feb- plus as others said it's good to haul junk if he is not riding in it.;)

My son is almost 5. I probably would not bring it if we cruise this winter, but I might regret it. I do think it's useful when he conks out. We have a Volo, which is super light. I would definitely bring it if we were doing Disney. That is A LOT of walking.

I was just asking my husband the other day how long we could keep using the stroller without feeling weird. I don't use it anymore on a daily basis, but we went to DC last weekend and used it a lot walking all over DC. I just don't think a 4-5 year old can walk that much...but maybe I'm underestimating him.

I would totally go get a cheap fold-up umbrella stroller for like $20. (You can even throw it out--or give it to another family with a child--and not lug it home!) Granted, my daughter is younger than your son (2.5) but we did a cruise last week and Disney World last year and I couldn't imagine doing either one without a stroller. The ships are HUGE--a lot of walking for little ones who might not be able to keep up with mom and dad's pace. And she sat in the stoller whenever we walked around the ship. I'd honestly say it was more critical on the ship than in Disney World since there you tend to just go from ride to ride, so there isn't as much "consecutive walking time" as there is on a ship. But, that's just my opinion. If your son NEVER needs a stroller and is great at walking long distances (and you can still carry him if necessary ;)), that's your call.

Archived