Shore Excursions: Post-Regent

MightyQuinn

Were shore excursions included in the cruise price when Paul Gauguin was operated by Regent? Or were they additional? Any general comments (+/-) on PG shore excursions? We're looking at the list for our cruise (14-nite Marquesas, Tuamotus & Society Islands) but only a few of the descriptions sound really appealing. Anything on the 'don't miss' list?

We loved the sunset sail in Moorea. Not for the queasy, however.

Also, enjoyed the sacred sites tour on Huahine. Max of eight. The guide (I think his name was Paul) was terrific.

One excursion I would avoid: The plane ride in Rarotonga. Pilot didn't say a word to us so we had no idea what we were viewing. And very cramped viewing, unlike a helicopter.

No, they were never included. Regent didn't start this until 2009.

Our last trip in 2008 the excursions had gone up in price. Marquesas especially were expensive, but worth it. In the Marquesas it's straight 4x4 trips around the islands. May sound mundane, but for the most part the scenery is amazing. We did three of these, not including Fatu Hiva--they did add one there at the last minute, but we didn't do that one--just walking up the road into town from the dock was enough for me--scenery is just fantastic right there, no need to go anywhere.

In many ports you can book the IDENTICAL excursion with the IDENTICAL tour company as a private excursion for a fraction of the price. Do your homework and you will save a bundle -- and often have a more intimate experience.

while this is true almost everywhere in the world, it's LEAST true in Tahiti/Marquesas. On many of the islands (especially Marquesas), the population is quiet small and there are only so many cars/jeeps and guides. Even the relatively small PG often takes up all of the resources.

In Marquesas, we organized 2 trips on our own and it was cheaper and better (hiva Oa and Nuku Hiva). But we did it ahead of time. I didn't see any extra guides/cars just hanging out on the dock. In Huahine, we didn't organize anything and wanted to hire a taxi to take us to a pearl farm - NO ONE could get us there! we even spoke to the owner by phone (and he'd have the most motivation since we might buy something) and he couldn't arrange anything on the spot either. he said he called all people he knew with taxis and ALL were booked up by the ship.

Bora-Bora and Moorea shouldn't be a problem to do things on your own.

Thanks for the replies.

Shorton, good to know that Sacred Sites on Huahine is a keeper. I've heard similar positives about Trails of the Ancients on Moorea with Mark Eddowes. And Wendy, I agree that all the 4x4 trips in Marquesas sound very similar, so it's nice to know that you found that worthwhile.

Pacheco, I ALWAYS do my homework! I fully appreciate the benefits of arranging independent shore excursions & have already been in contact with many private operators on the various islands. It's quite easy for Society Islands, less so for Tuamotus and fairly difficult for Marquesas. But my question was about PG shorex. We have an exceptionally generous OBC for our cruise & we'll be hard pressed to spend it unless we take some shore excursions.

So ... any other PG excursions that are of 'don't miss' calibre?

My suggestion was to arrange for the private excursions ahead of time -- not to hope you will find a guide at the pier. That is unlikely.

I have not been to the Marquesas, but for the PG 10 day ports, there was no reason to book any ship sponsored shore excursion. We either did (better) things the ship did not offer (Bruno, Patrick) or booked (in advance) the identical shore excursion offered by the ship at a fraction of the price (eg Tupuna Safari on Bora Bora)

Mighty,

I havent been on it but my daughter swears by the helicopter flight in Bora Bora.

I loved the 4x4 in Bora Bora and also Moorea when i did them. I also did the 4x4 in the Marquesas - the one led by Mark Eddowes in Nuku Hiva.

When we go next year we will be renting a car in Moorea. I want to visit the temae beach area as well as Les Tipannier beach and I recall some nice shops between Les Tipannier and the Tahia Collins showroom down the road. People also love the Hilton in Moorea which offers a day package for 65$ (I think).

Be sure to keep some time for the Bora Bora Motu my idea of heaven.

Miriam

Thanks for your thoughts Emdee. The heli-flight on Bora Bora sounds awesome (and would nicely use lots of OBC) but BB is probably the only island where we'll do a private tour. And we'll have enough time afterwards to check out the PG private motu.

I really hope Mark Eddowes is on our sailing. I called PG but they don't know the 2011 assignments yet.

Speaking of private motus... why do you prefer Bora Bora Motu to Motu Mahana? Going on the written descriptions only, I was thinking that Motu Mahana will be paradise for us.

Motu Mahana is organized with food and full drink service. There is a bar on the Bora Bora Motu but they used to just serve punch and beer.

The water is deeper at the BB Motu and sometimes you can see something spectacular, but primarily it is quiet and uncrowded.

Motu Mahana has shallow water snorkeling which is a problem for some.

We loved them both.

Nobody mentioned the jet skis on Bora Bora. We liked them both times we went on that excursion. The 4x4's on both Bora Bora and Moorea were good, and Dr. Poole's Dolphin trip is very good too.

Mighty,

a lot of people dont go to the BB motu - they are busy doing tours etc so its is relatively uncrowded. I love the water there and since we have now done all the usual stuff (barring the Helicopter which we will do next year) we just go there morning and afternoon each day. Going back for lunch and other necessities. They usually have some fruit and nuts and chips beer and pop and I always make personal arrangements with staff to get me a couple of coconuts from the 'uncle' who owns the motu. Last november there were Kayaks available at the BB Motu as well. The view from here is fabulous. The sand is soft and powdery - almost dont need the water shoes here that you need elsewhere.

Motu Mahana is very nice but the whole ship is there so its not just MY special place. Also the last time I went to Motu Mahana the beach was somewhat denuded compared to past years and since then there was a hurricane there so may have improved it or made it worse - wont know unless a regular goes and lets us know. Take some cash/cards to Motu Mahana as I have occasionally found some good shopping there. Overall its a fun day and I wouldnt miss it and look forward to it ... But the BB motu is my fave.

MightyQuinn, here's a private excursion you might consider for Nuku Hiva. We have signed up for January at a cost of $150 each. It sounds great to us. A much longer tour than the one offered by PG. I saw a very positive mention of Claude Gerard's tour in a PG trip report. So I emailed him at claudepua@mail.pf

Here was his response:

We can organize a full day tour in the 4 valleys .

We do our best to satisfy our guests and we want to show them all we can

in the short time they spend on Nuku Hiva, so they will leave with a good

idea about our island, the people living there and their culture.

We will pick you up at your arrival on the dock ( at about 8 h. ) and we

will leave in the comfort of an air-conditioned 4 x 4 for TAIPIVAI ( where

lived Herman Melville ) - HOOUMI - HATIHEU - AAKAPA with stops at intervals

to view the scenery from the heights and the remains of habitations.

In our tour you will visit Kamuhei and Hikokua Pae pae.

We will stop by the best sculptors of the island.

We will have lunch in HATIHEU by Yvonne ( local food ) : Yvonne is the best

restaurant on Nuku Hiva

We will bring you back in time for boarding to the dock. We always work with

cruise ships like the Paul Gauguin and we never had any problems.

The duration of this excursion is about 7 hours.

Our method of payment is cash to the guide : 12 500 cfp per person or 105

euros per person including lunch without drinks.

English speaking guide.

We guarantee you will spend an unforgettable day.

We will have a sign so you will easily find us at the pier which is situated

in Taiohae.

Hi Mighty,

I saw the previous post from Shorten ... not to knock it or anything as it may be good but I have done Mark Eddowes excursion and If he is on your ship and leads the excursion I would take it. Its not just a question of the time in the excursion but he is a wonderful speaker and by the time you reach the Marquesas you will likely have enjoyed a few of his lectures and will be hooked.

Shorton, I really appreciate your recommendation for Nuku Hiva. As it turns out, I've already contacted Claude about his full-day tour & received the same e-mail reply as you! His reviews are excellent & we're seriously considering him. Just to keep our options open, I also contacted Jocelyne for Nuku Hiva. As you probably know, she offers half-day tours but her reviews are mixed at best. I expect that we'll stick with PG shorex to use up our OBC, especially if Mark Eddowes is on-board to lead the tours.

As long as we're talking excursions, I'll give another push for Patrick's 3/4-day tour on Bora Bora Jan. 26 (for those on the 14-day Marquesas cruise that starts Jan. 15). Still looking for more folks to fill the boat. Max of 12. More that go, the cheaper the tour becomes. Lots of very positive feedback on this private excursion. Here's the link to Patrick's Web site:

http://www.maohinui.net/

Archived