Carnival Pride Cabin Selection

ihopfar

We are NCL cruisers thinking of trying a Carnival Pride cruise out of Baltimore. Looking at getting an extended balcony cabin on Empress desk, either mid-deck or aft (stern).

I know on NCL everyone says the balconies on the stern of the ship are the best because of less wind and a beautiful view of the wake. Does the same hold true on the Pride that these are considered the best balconies and sell out first?

What are the pros and cons between these two cabin locations? Are there other balconies that I should be looking at that are in a better location? If so, what makes them better?

Also, what is the difference between a standard extended balcony and one that shows the additon of a single sofa bed? What does the sofa bed replace, a sofa of the same size? Is there a downside to one of these rooms for 2 people instead of 3?

I am still far enough out that I can get the Early Saver rate, which seems like a good deal, even with the added restrictions. However, as there are fewer of these cabins, should I book a category with more cabins so I can get the benefit of price drops for much longer before the category sells out?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I know my fellow cruise critic members always are very helpful.

Brad

I had an extended balcony cabin on the Pride's port side that was a cabin that could sleep 4. It was a fine cabin and the balcony was about 50% larger in depth than a standard balcony. There was plenty of room on the balcony for two chairs, one whose back reclined somewhat, and a small table. I think the room would be a bit cozy for 4, unless small children. But, for one or two, it would be quite satisfactory.

Cannot comment on aft cabins. I have not booked any and have no interest in doing so. I am sure the view would be most enjoyable. But, in rough seas when the ship would be pitching, the "ride" would not be so great.

DW and I had the pleasure of staying in Cabin # 7347 in Aug. of this year . IT WAS REALLY GREAT!!! The view was awesome and it had an adequate amount of space in its layout. To me its big selling point was the tremendous wrap around balcony. It had 4 chairs, 2 tables, and 2 recliner loungers. If you are going with friends this is the ideal spot for those pre-dinner cocktails or wine. DW and I just enjoyed the solitude of the cruising days .

The aft cabins are coveted, though I think they can be quite sunny. Also, I know that on at least some of them, the railing tilts back in so sharply, that you end up kind of losing usable area on the balcony. The extended balconies on the sides of the ships are nice because they are deeper, but not longer. There are a few cabins right near the aft elevators on decks

6 & 7 that have very long balconies because they are next to a storage room (look at cabin 7258 and you will see the longer balcony on the deck plan). Hope that helps.

Not sure if there is too much rhyme or reason to the types of rooms and the price drops.

Thanks rkacruiser, I appreciate your feedback.

How do you feel NCL and Carnvial compare?

Thanks again,

Brad

My only NCL cruise was in 1979 on Sunward II. This was a 4 night Miami-Nassau-Freeport-their Outer Island-Miami itinerary. I felt that it was an excellent value at that time. Thus, I really cannot give you a recent comparison between Carnival and NCL.

Regarding the sofa bed vs sofa thing. There is no difference. The sofa bed isn't a sofa bed as we tend to think of them. It's really a convertible sofa, which means they take the back cushion off, and you sleep on it lengthwise. As far as I know, it`s the same piece of furniture in all the cabins, but they only designate certain cabins for 3 people based on lifeboat capacities in a specific region of the ship.

I also think they restrict cabins that can sleep 3 or 4 to bookings for 3 or 4 until a certain time frame prior to the cruise, as they wouldn`t want to turn away a 3 person booking because 2 people are booked in a 3 person cabin (or so we were told by Carnival last year when I tried to get my in-laws a 4 person room so they could take our kids a couple nights for us)

DW and I always book an aft cabin and when possible an aft wrap. The aft wrap balconies are huge compared to the other balconies, even the "extended" ones. Also, the balconies on the main deck of the Pride (and I assume other Spirit-class ships) have a large overhang that shields the balcony from view from above. This is just our preferance but there's something very relaxing watching the ship's wake disappearing in the distance.

Yes, the aft cabins are coveted BUT there are three cabins that are more sought after.

These are category 8J

6232- sleeps 4, 7258 and 8232- both sleep 2.

293683084CKyqeR_th.jpg

this is an aft balcony.

283578778xGRsek_th.jpg

the corner suites are nice--as long as you do not take the suites on deck 5.

. As far as I know, it`s the same piece of furniture in all the cabins, but they only designate certain cabins for 3 people based on lifeboat capacities in a specific region of the ship.

I also think they restrict cabins that can sleep 3 or 4 to bookings for 3 or 4 until a certain time frame prior to the cruise, as they wouldn`t want to turn away a 3 person booking because 2 people are booked in a 3 person cabin (or so we were told by Carnival last year when I tried to get my in-laws a 4 person room so they could take our kids a couple nights for us)

2 person cabins do not have a convertible sofa- sometimes these are love seat type sofa instead of the full sofa- they also do not have the two drawers underneath

On this class ship--its very hard for a 2 person to book a cabin that holds 4 people-- example-- 2 people will have a hard time keeping or booking 6234

2 person cabins do not have a convertible sofa- sometimes these are love seat type sofa instead of the full sofa- they also do not have the two drawers underneath

On this class ship--its very hard for a 2 person to book a cabin that holds 4 people-- example-- 2 people will have a hard time keeping or booking 6234

Well, the couch that was in my in-laws' 2 person cabin (1237) was the same as the one in our 4 person cabin (5237). I took the back off theirs to check. I never noticed drawers under theirs but ours definitely didn't as that's where the back and arms of the couch were stored.

Archived