what time earliest flight out of FLL?

heidik

The cruiseline recommends flights after noon. Can you make an earlier flight? Probably. Most probably, even. You could book an 11:00 AM flight and make it easily.

Or, something could happen to delay the ship's timely return (see thread re: E-dam rescue at sea currently running). See another thread reporting that a ship didn't return on time as the anchor got caught and the ship couldn't sail from HMC.

There's all sorts of things that could go wrong.

Or, there could be many ships coming in that day, and yours doesn't clear quickly.

Don't end your lovely cruise in a panic. Book a flight after noon. Have a relaxed breakfast and final morning, and be among the last to leave.

If we get in at 7:00am in FLL, what do you suggest as the earliest flight I could book to fly back up to CT? I think with a suite, I can get off the ship asap?

HAL suggests that one not book flights prior to noon.

Some report on these boards about booking flights at 10 or 10:30 or so ... but one never knows if the ship indeed will dock as scheduled or whether there will be delays with immigration or other passengers not settling their account. Too many things can happen to delay disembarkation.

One time when we docked in FLL we weren't allowed to leave the ship until 12:30 because of an accident on the pier (a propane canister fell off a truck) and they wanted to be sure everything was safe before people got off. I'm sure many, many people missed their flights.

The day the Eurodam got in late, My turn to leave the ship was 8:15 and we got called at 9:05. Therefore the Ship was probably not emptied out until 10 or 10:30. I am glad my plane was not until 1 although I think I could have made an 11:30 Flight, It is better to have to wait around rather than cutting it so close you miss your flight.

I guess we had a great run and cruise after cruise docked on time and we left the ship pretty much on time without any issues and virtually no stress making our flights. Then comes the last cruise and all I can say is payback is hell. Ship was late because of weather and supposedly a lame engine, ship was slow clearing Customs and Immigration, and we were stacked like firewood on the Lido as they squeezed people out of parts of the ship so they could clean. We didn't get off the ship, and it wasn't our choice, until noon and we, and several hundred of our closest friends, missed all sorts of flights and ours was a 1:30 PM. We'll stick with an after noon flight this coming March but have no misgivings that our last cruise could happen again.

Don't forget to check how many other ships are disembarking in Fort Lauderdale on the same day as you are. Both of RC's "big gals" Oasis and Allure leave from Port Everglades. I believe Port Everglades is the busiest port for cruise passengers. Carnival, Princess, HAL, Norwegian, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and several smaller cruiselines offer cruises that begin/end in Fort Lauderdale, depending on time of year. Fall, winter, and early spring are the most popular times to cruise from Florida since many cruiselines move their ships to Caribbean itineraries over those months. Summer has fewer ships but can still be busy. Also, there are many ships (including NCL's "big gal" Epic) based in Miami, which isn't a long drive from FLL. Sometimes it's cheaper to fly from FLL rather than MIA (and vice versa) so you might have passengers from the Miami ships trying to get through the airport security lines at FLL.

In January 09 we did a 1:40pm flight out of FLL - that was an obnoxiouslly long time to wait. I believe we got to the airport around 10 or so, we cruised out of Miami so we took the crusie line transfer where we also waited forever for the people to board the bus - we rushed ( as much as you possbily can ) but not everyone else did, we were on the bus by 8:30am. The FLL airport was chaotic, a saturday, by the time we got to the front of the line it was 10:40am which was 3 hours before take off - we actually had to wait a few minutes because we couldn't check in until it was exactly 3 hours before take off. This time we are crusing out of FLL and and taking a cab, which I hear is 10 minutes away from the port. I did see that Oasis is also debarking that day, that's in the back of my mind. I also spoke with our reservation agent and they said that 11:00am would be fine. You can't predict what's going to happen, we'll deal with it then.

The Eurodam was recently involved in a rescue at sea saving the lives of two sailors whose ship sank. Due to the time involved with the rescue, the ship arrived late into port. When planning your flights, please be aware that '"ship" happens, and that the international law of the sea DEMANDS that all vessels must come to the aid of a soul in peril.

If you choose to push the envelope by booking an earlier flight than HAL recommends, please don't cry on Cruise Critic, or you will get no sympathy.

n. b. No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Thank you everyone - I booked a 12:00pm flight back to CT. We shall see. At $94 for the ticket, I don't think I'll be doing much crying here on the board if I miss the flight.....

That's the point exactly. If you understand the risks, weigh the odds, and decide to go for it we'll all wish you luck. Chances are you'll make it, and you've already thought about what to do if you don't. Have a great cruise!

We have a 11:20 flt out with Southwest on 12/12/10 from FLL. The last 3 years it has been that time or around 12ish and we've been at the boarding gate about 90 mins prior. What happens if something happens and we miss the flight? Knock on wood it doesn't but what is Plan B? We have 2 little ones with us. All these posts are starting to freak me out a bit. I'm sure 11:20 is fine but I'd like to be prepared. Thanks.

Archived