no food service at all during many hours on the ship?

crabby apple

I read this in a review for NCL Jade, is this true? I was told there are food services at all times--and the other cruise lines we have been on sure at least had pizza or something available when other facilities were closed.

this is what I read

It was very restrictive to what times you can get food. No food services is provided between 10-noon, 3-5 pm and after 9:30 pm. Room service is one page in length with no options there. Why? We paid enough money to get food anytime we wanted to

it was here

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=67607

Is that true?

As with many complaints, there is some truth in the statement but it's far from totally accurate. Yes, the dining rooms have set hours - just like any other cruise ship. Yes, the buffet has set hours - just like any other cruise ship. And room service does have a limited menu - just like any other cruise ship - but it is offered 24/7 and there's no late-night charge like at least one other cruise line. Furthermore, there's the Blue Lagoon, which serves food roughly 23 hours a day. So, yes, it's possible to go hungry for an hour or so in between the numerous meals that are available.

I never went hungry on an NCL ship and we are big eaters. I've always used room service in the early mornings before the restaraunts opened and very late at night. You can always have desserts and cheeses delivered to your room when dining in the premium restaraunts. You can also bring food back to your cabin from the buffet area. There is a refrigerator in the cabins. Believe me, you won't go hungry. Blue Lagoon is open virtually all the time. I didn't even know that they closed for a half hour to an hour. It never affected me at all.

Go, eat and be merry!

I was on the Jade last year. Never went hungry. The Blue Lagoon is open virtually 24/4 as is room service. No, you cannot get prime rib or lamb shanks at 3am but the blue lagoon has great comfort food (the chicken wings are fabulous) and room service has adequate snacks to tide you over. I never heard a complaint from any of the other passengers that access to food was a problem. I would personally consider this a non-issue.

I'm sorry but that's just a bogus complaint. Who NEEDS to eat 24 hours a day? So what if the dining room is closed for a couple of hours to set up for the next meal.......are you really going to go into starvation mode?

I read this in a review for NCL Jade, is this true? I was told there are food services at all times--and the other cruise lines we have been on sure at least had pizza or something available when other facilities were closed.

this is what I read

It was very restrictive to what times you can get food. No food services is provided between 10-noon, 3-5 pm and after 9:30 pm. Room service is one page in length with no options there. Why? We paid enough money to get food anytime we wanted to

it was here

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=67607

Is that true?

Such a relief that we will never see these people on another NCL cruise!

As for food, it is plentiful and available every hour of the day. We also bring our favorite snacks to enjoy with a glass of wine on our balcony in-between meals. And if you are that hungry, break down and buy something at the NCL store. Never met anyone who was hungry on a cruise!:D

Even when the buffet serving lines are shut down in preparation for the next meal, I have always seen desserts, ice cream available sitting out still. Additionally, the grills out on deck usually have burgers and such available during the buffett down hours. And as many said, the Blue Lagoon will will provide you all of that and more 23 hours a day.

FWIW, Princess' buffet never closes.

If that's the case, I don't think that the buffet would be a place that I would ever eat. Wouldn't you think they would need to break it down to give it a good cleaning? :rolleyes:

On the Dawn I personally never saw a time when there was no food at the buffet and the Blue Lagoon was also open 24 hours. Now keep in mind that both sides of the buffet will not be open at the same time as they clean and switch service but at least one side or or the NY Deli section was open at any given time. And I cannot speak for the time that I actually was sleeping, perhaps there was no food at the buffet then.

FWIW, Princess' buffet never closes.

I stand corrected, then. On my 4 Princess cruises (admittedly a while ago), that wasn't the case. Would it be accurate to say that Princess is the only mainstream cruise line that does this?

If that's the case, I don't think that the buffet would be a place that I would ever eat. Wouldn't you think they would need to break it down to give it a good cleaning? :rolleyes:

There are 2 sides to the buffet system - during the peak times both sides are open. Out of peak times and during the change over from breakfast to lunch to dinner, one side will be closed, cleaned, sanitised and then opened. Once it is open the other side will be closed for exactly the same treatment. Therefore it is a true 24/7 operation.

I'm sorry but that's just a bogus complaint. Who NEEDS to eat 24 hours a day? So what if the dining room is closed for a couple of hours to set up for the next meal.......are you really going to go into starvation mode?

I was thinking the same thing

I stand corrected, then. On my 4 Princess cruises (admittedly a while ago), that wasn't the case. Would it be accurate to say that Princess is the only mainstream cruise line that does this?

It actually depends, on the smallest ships the buffet may actually close for a short period or have shorter hours, but on all the other Princess fleet they are open 24/7. Even so there is always room service if for some reason someone did not manage to eat enough calories in the other 22-23 hours in the day :D

It never ceases to amaze me the falsehoods that are published as "fact". At least the trolls are finally getting the idea of posting them on the Members Review area so they cannot be contested.

PE

How about this little gem?:rolleyes:

It was more than nickel and diming us to death. We literally didn't get anything included with the cost of the cruise. The only thing we didn't have to pay for was tap water. All food and access to other services (gym' date=' spa, etc.) required some surcharge or cost for refreshments, sodas, etc. [/i']

So, if it is crucial that you have access to a buffet 24/7--Princess is the line for you. Apparently it is crucial to some, since I have seen posts where people have complained about the selection in the buffet during the wee hours.

Personally, I am a huge Princess fan (about 24 cruises of my 33 cruises with Princess), but a 24/7 buffet has never been a factor to me.

So, if it is crucial that you have access to a buffet 24/7--Princess is the line for you. Apparently it is crucial to some, since I have seen posts where people have complained about the selection in the buffet during the wee hours.

Personally, I am a huge Princess fan (about 24 cruises of my 33 cruises with Princess), but a 24/7 buffet has never been a factor to me.

Not a factor for me either. Just wanted to get the facts straight.

How about this little gem?:rolleyes:

It was more than nickel and diming us to death. We literally didn't get anything included with the cost of the cruise. The only thing we didn't have to pay for was tap water. All food and access to other services (gym, spa, etc.) required some surcharge or cost for refreshments, sodas, etc.

Hmm. I guess they never drank coffee, tea, orange drink which are all free.

I guess they didn't know that the treadmills, exercycles, weight machines in the gym were all free.

The nightly entertainment was free. Most activities were free. I would have hated to be cruising with that griper.

... No food services is provided between 10-noon, 3-5 pm and after 9:30 pm. ..

I guess the person hadn't discovered the Blue Lagoon which has food, delicious food, available during all of those time periods.

'crabby apple' is certainly an appropriate screen name for that reviewer.

Archived