no food service at all during many hours on the ship?

crabby apple

Hmm. I guess they never drank coffee, tea, orange drink which are all free.

I guess they didn't know that the treadmills, exercycles, weight machines in the gym were all free.

The nightly entertainment was free. Most activities were free. I would have hated to be cruising with that griper.

Not only all of the above, they even claimed all food involved a cost......damn having to pay for meals in the MDR or buffet.:p:rolleyes:

I read this in a review for NCL Jade, is this true? I was told there are food services at all times--and the other cruise lines we have been on sure at least had pizza or something available when other facilities were closed.

this is what I read

It was very restrictive to what times you can get food. No food services is provided between 10-noon, 3-5 pm and after 9:30 pm. Room service is one page in length with no options there. Why? We paid enough money to get food anytime we wanted to

it was here

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=67607

Is that true?

My answer to this question: BULL< there is always Blue Lagoon and room service. It is true the dining room isn't open 24/7 nor would you expect that and the buffet doesn't serve all the time, but there is always someplace to grab a bite to eat.

Nita

So, if it is crucial that you have access to a buffet 24/7--Princess is the line for you. Apparently it is crucial to some, since I have seen posts where people have complained about the selection in the buffet during the wee hours.

Personally, I am a huge Princess fan (about 24 cruises of my 33 cruises with Princess), but a 24/7 buffet has never been a factor to me.

I agree, how many people really are looking for someplace to eat from say, 3am to about 5 or 6am? If they are and they cruise NCL they can go to Blue Lagoon.

Nita

I guess the person hadn't discovered the Blue Lagoon which has food, delicious food, available during all of those time periods.

'crabby apple' is certainly an appropriate screen name for that reviewer.

Crabby Apple wasn't the reviewer. He/she was asking about a review he/she read.

How about this little gem?:rolleyes:

It was more than nickel and diming us to death. We literally didn't get anything included with the cost of the cruise. The only thing we didn't have to pay for was tap water. All food and access to other services (gym, spa, etc.) required some surcharge or cost for refreshments, sodas, etc.

Lol, I love this.... I'd love to know which cruise line they sailed on.... and did they starve all week because they thought the MDR and buffet were fee-paying!!??:D:D:D

As with many complaints, there is some truth in the statement but it's far from totally accurate. Yes, the dining rooms have set hours - just like any other cruise ship. Yes, the buffet has set hours - just like any other cruise ship. And room service does have a limited menu - just like any other cruise ship - but it is offered 24/7 and there's no late-night charge like at least one other cruise line. Furthermore, there's the Blue Lagoon, which serves food roughly 23 hours a day. So, yes, it's possible to go hungry for an hour or so in between the numerous meals that are available.

Blue Lagoon is our favorite after hours dining spot because there are so many choices on the menu. Love the fish & chips and chicken wings & rice. We get banana bread every night before turning in just to have it in the morning with the coffee in our cabin. Miss that on other cruiselines too. Yes, lots of dessert choices at Blue Lagoon. Sometimes you just want to stop somewhere for a snack and Blue Lagoon is perfect.

We sail alot of different cruiselines but my favorite thing about NCL is all the different restaurant choices from casual to formal. We always start at the Chinese restaurant first night because the main dining rooms are so busy. Try the hot & sour soup with tempura and steak terriyaki. Yum! Don't miss LeBistro and their beef tenderloin. I'm getting hungry already.

We just got off a Celebrity cruise and were disappointed that the only 24 hour place was the pizza--not even a salad or cookies. We ordered room service but hated waiting and waiting when we just wanted to grab something fast.

What we like on Princess is their bakery/deli with sandwiches and desserts 24/7. Not as many choices at the Blue Lagoon but still good when you need a little something if you've missed a meal

Don't forget there is a dining room open for lunch when you board. Most people hit the buffet but we love the quiet of the dining room when we board.

Can't wait for our January cruise on Jewel with Dora and Spongebob.

from that same review:

Overall, we would never recommend this cruise line or this style of cruising to anyone. Please take our surveys we submitted very seriously

:p

i have been on 6 cruises with NCL and have found food at all hrs of the day and night...even popcorn--so we always grabbed a few bags to have a snack later!

If that's the case, I don't think that the buffet would be a place that I would ever eat. Wouldn't you think they would need to break it down to give it a good cleaning? :rolleyes:

Princess has 4 separate buffet setups (counting the Horizon Court areas and the Cafe Caribe areas). They rotate out closing and cleaning these areas during off-peak hours. They have this part down to a science.

Princess has 4 separate buffet setups (counting the Horizon Court areas and the Cafe Caribe areas). They rotate out closing and cleaning these areas during off-peak hours. They have this part down to a science.

Thanks for letting me know this since I don't do buffets.

Archived