Dining room closed for embarkation lunch?

red4u2

On the Crown (Sept 27,2010) we went to the DR and asked if we could eat there (we saw others in the room) and we were told "No, it was for the embarkation experience (a paid thing) only" We just went to HC and were not persistent. On the Coral it was the first time for embarkation experience (March 3, 2010) and there were people there filming. We were not allowed in then either. Sometimes the information that I have from CC has not done me too much good.:( I don't make a scene but I'm not shy either. I believe the OP who wrote they really don't want you there and they don't welcome you if you show up -- not rude but not welcomeing. Do you think the embarkation experience which makes money is now going to mean arriving passengers can not eat in DR.

The information about the dining room comes directly from Princess. There was a press release from them a few years ago and the email you get before the cruise. The people on CC are simply reporting their frustration or successes with the dining room on embarkation. It's just a sad situation when you have to go to the dining room with an email or press release printed out to get lunch. As I stated, I just didn't feel like starting the cruise with a confrontation.

Can someone tell us which of the 3 dining rooms are used? Does MDR = Main Dining Room or Michelangelo Dining Room. I would think Main.

We will be sailing the Emerald in January.

Thanks,

Pat

Usually the one on deck 6 near the atrium will be used for embarkation lunch.

On our last cruise on the CB, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Princess staff stationed at the elevators during embarkation were actually telling people that they could go to either the buffet or the dining room. This is the first time that I had ever seen this. We had a very relaxing and delicious lunch in the dining room. It was a great way to start the cruise! :D

On our last cruise on the CB, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Princess staff stationed at the elevators during embarkation were actually telling people that they could go to either the buffet or the dining room. This is the first time that I had ever seen this. We had a very relaxing and delicious lunch in the dining room. It was a great way to start the cruise! :D

Now that is what they should be doing on all the ships!

I'm going to test this out in a couple of weeks. In March we didn't arrive to Fort Lauderdale until after 1pm due to a late start on the road (funny when you drive you don't always have the same sense of urgency!) I plan on arriving earlier this time and trying to get to lunch as I really don't enjoy the madness of the HC at any meal period, let alone at embarkation.

We have had lunch in the MDR on embarkation day on the Golden, Star and Coral within the last year. On the Coral to Alaska the MDR door was closed but we walked in and were greeted by staff that welcomed us and seated us. There were less than 30 people there. Much nicer than the crowds at the HC.

As a previous poster stated, the option for MDR is included in a precruise e-mail from Princess. The option has been in effect for some time now and there should not be the apparent confusion that still exists.

I have to say that while I am a Princess platinum cruiser, this is one thing I really like about Disney. On embarkation day they have the buffet, pizza, panini and grill open on the top deck, and also have one of the main dining rooms open for lunch as well. In fact, they often direct you to the main dining room if you have luggage (downside of Disney: you can't drop luggage in your cabin until it's ready, around 2:30 pm or so) because you don't have to go up or down any stairs to get to it.

Archived