Dining room closed for embarkation lunch?

red4u2

Hi All, I just read the Patters from the Ruby 10/24 sailing that Whimsey was very kind enough to email to about a hundred people so far, and there is no mention of the dining room being open for lunch on embarkation day from 12-130 pm--- does anyone know if this has been done away with?

thanks - i sail this weekend.

I don't know about the Ruby, but on the Caribbean Princess the Coral dining room was open for embarkation lunch. I knew about this from reading CC.

This is the first time on the ship it was mentioned by our cabin steward to us.

Just locate the open dining room--does no good to ask which one--just go and have a great, relaxing lunch.

We've been doing this for years--long before it was publicized by Princess.

Nancy:D

Hi All, I just read the Patters from the Ruby 10/24 sailing that Whimsey was very kind enough to email to about a hundred people so far, and there is no mention of the dining room being open for lunch on embarkation day from 12-130 pm--- does anyone know if this has been done away with?

thanks - i sail this weekend.

I just got an email from princess -- picture of the cruise director,

and picture of the captain's circle hostess -- reminding me that

I would be embarking in two weeks.

Scrolling down in the email, there is a link "what are my embarcation

day dining options".

For the cruise I'm going on, the horizon court and "one of our main

dining rooms" will be available.

day dining options".

Take your puter with you. :eek:

day dining options".

Yes, I got the same email before I cruise but honestly, why can't they follow their own practices? It really is getting tiring, going on the ship and knowing more about their policies than the staff.

We didn't even bother trying to go to the dining room this time because frankly, I didn't want to start the first moments of my cruise "insisting" we were allowed in the dining room. I had a run in over the coffee card too that has left a bad impression.

On the Crown (Sept 27,2010) we went to the DR and asked if we could eat there (we saw others in the room) and we were told "No, it was for the embarkation experience (a paid thing) only" We just went to HC and were not persistent. On the Coral it was the first time for embarkation experience (March 3, 2010) and there were people there filming. We were not allowed in then either. Sometimes the information that I have from CC has not done me too much good.:( I don't make a scene but I'm not shy either. I believe the OP who wrote they really don't want you there and they don't welcome you if you show up -- not rude but not welcomeing. Do you think the embarkation experience which makes money is now going to mean arriving passengers can not eat in DR.

On the Crown (Sept 27,2010) we went to the DR and asked if we could eat there (we saw others in the room) and we were told "No, it was for the embarkation experience (a paid thing) only" We just went to HC and were not persistent. On the Coral it was the first time for embarkation experience (March 3, 2010) and there were people there filming. We were not allowed in then either. Sometimes the information that I have from CC has not done me too much good.:( I don't make a scene but I'm not shy either. I believe the OP who wrote they really don't want you there and they don't welcome you if you show up -- not rude but not welcomeing. Do you think the embarkation experience which makes money is now going to mean arriving passengers can not eat in DR.

We have not had issues with the embarkation lunch.

I hardly call $39 for the Bon Voyage program making money. :eek:

We've been having lunch in the MD on embarkation day--for several days--the only time we were turned away was at our home port of San Pedro--the place was filled with local business men and women. They politely explained who was there --soooo we left without any hard feelings..

the only problem we've had over the years was not to ask where--just take the time to look and find the room that had people in it--you will most likely still be told that no MD is open for lunch on that day. Our last ccruuse in the Emerald a couple of months ago we stopped by the pasenger service desk to sign up for the ultimate ship toour and happened to ask where lunch was beeing served and were told there was no MDR open for lunch--a couple of minutes later we were seated in the open MDR

odrering lunch which was veery good !!

Nancy:D

Last month on the Island, we were told by the staff directing boarding passengers, the dining room was already closed . It was 1:15 so I just quietly mentioned that we were going to go have a look at it anyway. The staff member suddenly remembered that the DR was open until 1:30. We really enjoyed the salmon;)

We've taken three Princess cruises during the past year. On the Emerald, we had to be persistent to get into the dining room on embarkation day. On the Crown and the Sapphire, we were welcomed graciously.

We were on Emerald three times in September and only one embarkation day was a B2B continuation. We went to embarkation lunch all three times and there was never the slightest hint that we were not welcome and the head waiter was courteous and gracious. The question of B2B never arose at any time while being seated. Lunch was the best of the week with Salmon or Beef as the two entre' choices. We were not part of any of the "Paid Packages".

On the Golden in September, we headed to the MDR about 12:15, immediately after dropping off our carryons in the cabin. When we approached the dining room, they pointed towards the stairs and said the HC was available. They didn't say they were closed, just encouraged us to go to the HC. We said, "But we've been waiting 6 months to have this great lunch" and they seated us without further mention. We had table mates that had to do the same thing. They seemed to discourage the MDR but they allowed it and provided great service.

O Do you think the embarkation experience which makes money is now going to mean arriving passengers can not eat in DR.

We did the Bon Voyage experience on the Emerald Princess last month and my brother and sister-in-law were the only guests, so Princess definitely wasn't making much money off of them :p (but they will in the future since they've agreed to go to Alaska with us in 2012). There were lots of folks eating lunch in the dining room.

On the Coral in AK, boarding was later than normal for us after a tour, so lunch was not an issue, but we heard that it was open. In Vancouver it definitely was since there were many people continuing south. The Maitre'd mentioned that due to turnaround day, many of the dining and kitchen staff were repurposed to other tasks, leaving the DR very lightly manned.

I'm not saying its right, but this may be a reason for the reluctance on some ships to encourage DR use.

Wow ! thank you everyone for all the info, i guess i was expecting it to be listed in the patters like it was for my alaska trip, its nice to know that it will still be open, im goona give it a try. leaving for FLL in the morning!! thanks all!!

Wow ! thank you everyone for all the info, i guess i was expecting it to be listed in the patters like it was for my alaska trip, its nice to know that it will still be open, im goona give it a try. leaving for FLL in the morning!! thanks all!!

Good luck. Come back and let us know how it turns out.

Archived