Just off Noordam.....They ran out of toilet paper!

Ken1359

The TP issue makes a funny story -- but has been over-stated. Kleenex was put in public rest rooms, so there clearly was some shortage - but no one I spoke with had a problem in supply for cabin bathroom. We still had two unused reserve rolls under our sink when we debrked on Wednesday -- I am sure our cabin steward would have removed at least one if there were a serious shortage.

If I recall correctly, the first time HAL chartered a ship for a gay cruise (Maasdam, was it?) the ship ran out of Vodka before the cruise was half over...

...needless to say, the HM and his staff bought dozens of cases of vodka to keep the boys happy in the next port - and HAL learned to stock triple the supplies of Vodka for every gay cruise since!

Do "gays" drink more Vodka or use more Vodka than other people???? Do they like Grey Goose the best? S

We were on an extended HAL cruise once that was short of bar soap -- but they had plenty of shampoo and elemis body scrub. That was when I discovered the body scrub comes with a special "zing", especially when applied to certain body parts. Thankfully the shortage disappeared after a couple of weeks.

No, really, I've heard of nice body scrubs but never the special "zing" that caused you know what to certain body parts.

What are you talking about? I never heard of this.:eek: It might be nice?

No, really, I've heard of nice body scrubs but never the special "zing" that caused you know what to certain body parts.

What are you talking about? I never heard of this.:eek: It might be nice?

I think the best part was that after using the body scrub that gave him a zing on certain body parts that after a few weeks the "shortage" disapeared. Now that may be worth looking into!!!:D

OK, how do I put this and not get kicked off the boards? The Elemis body scrub contains menthol, or eucalyptus or some other chemical that produces a tingling (at least for me) that was a bit surprising and not what I would call a great time. My DH still remembers the "whooping" sounds that came from the shower that day. He wondered if I was alone. For me, I was relieved when the bar soap started to appear again and I could stop washing with the shampoo.

I was on the same cruise and attended a Q and A session with the hotel manager, James Deering, who said emphatically that the ship had NOT run out of t.p.

OK So technically there was some TP on board but they were short. People getting "new" rolls in their cabin on the last sea day told me that they looked smaller and assumed staff was having to give up theirs. We had some till the end but became very thrifty with it the last few days. The public restrooms did all have kleenex and as it has been stated that does clog up the system. Friends down on the main deck reported that their toilet was not flushing properly at the end but we made it back to FLL without a major problem. I am sure some head rolled over this understocking but it is hard to restock in the middle of the Atlantic.

It was a great cruise with wonderful HAL staff and food. Maybe we should all learn to conserve TP so our prune eating friends will always have plenty.:D

Re the last post - James Deering.

James Deering was PSD on Crown Princess last year, what ship is he now on then? This is a HAL board.

Re the TP, the Coast Guard Helicopters could have dropped some over the Atlantic !

The cruise in question had something like 200 Cruisecritic Members onboard.

You can be sure that if a cruise ship REALLY did run out of toilet paper in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, with 200 CC Members onboard, you would be seeing far more than one lighj-hearted thread about the calamity.

Re the last post - James Deering.

James Deering was PSD on Crown Princess last year, what ship is he now on then? This is a HAL board.

Re the TP, the Coast Guard Helicopters could have dropped some over the Atlantic !

I spoke with him on the Noordam - he had been on a Princess ship until a couple of months ago - part of Carnival Corporation's "cross fertilization" program - we will probably see a lot more of such switches - Cunarders on Princess ships, Carnival staff on Princess, HAL on Cunard, etc. It makes sense for key staff members to be exposed to other approaches to cruising.

Wasn't it a Mariner's Society Cruise too - with folks from Seattle onboard?

Yes, it was billed as a MS Cruise but if there was anybody on board from Seattle, I never saw them identified as such. In our CC meet and greet the captain and James Deering attended. James did say that in FLL besides immigration inspection there was to be a health inspection and VPs from corporate coming onboard. I know that it is a matter of money but it really would benefit the crew and the next cruise passengers to overnight an empty ship in FLL when returning from Europe. We were on a returning from Europe ship next cruise and it was a mess. The crew was killing themselves trying to get the ship ready with everything else going on. We had to wait forever in the port and could not board in the normal timely manner - waited over the lunch time so people were getting hungry. By the time we got onboard the crew was exhausted (our cabin was not it normal cleaniness till the next day) and the passengers grumpy. But I know that that is a dream, make sense option.

Archived