Disappointing Ventura

9stilton

Debbie,

Please post your blog on this site. We are doing casual only on Ventura in December and would welcome your comments.

Casual only? Does this mean you can dodge the formal nights and dress code altogether. the SO would like to attend a formal night to experience it . unfortunatly my normal formal is full kilt which is just to heavy to take to the caribbean . so it looks like a purchase of the full penguin is on the cards.

Yes a full penguin is a lot lighter than a kilt, but it would seem a shame not to fly the flag as it were. Highland regalia is much smarter. Remember, the inside of the ship is the same temperature, in the tropics as it is off Greenland.

If it is weight when travelling then just ditch a few gowns, they will never be missed.:rolleyes:

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

We sailed on the Ventura and we could not complain about anything (apart from a few of the older people) we took are parents who are both 70 and they absolutely loved it, with no complaints whatsoever so i don't see why everyone is giving Ventura should a bad time.

my husband and i are seasoned cruisers, on a variety of cruise lines, and we loved the ventura when we went on the western med. cruise. stafff where super, food lovely and people where not allowed to put towels on sun beds. we would go on her again, and are going on the oceana in a few weeks.

my husband and i are seasoned cruisers, on a variety of cruise lines, and we loved the ventura when we went on the western med. cruise. stafff where super, food lovely and people where not allowed to put towels on sun beds. we would go on her again, and are going on the oceana in a few weeks.

Welcome to cruise critic mollikins :)

I loved Ventura too, but there were lots of sunbed wars on my cruise, not that it bothered me at all.

How did they get people to stick to the 'no towels' rule on your cruise? :confused:

I've just returned from a two week Caribbean cruise on the Ventura. My wife and I (early 50's) had a great time. The only unpleasant incident I witnessed was from a prompus older man who was thought he was better than the poor waiter he was berating. The elderly 'gentleman' then started shouting at his wife. Another diner then asked them to keep their voices down at which point the wife turned on her, then stormed out of the dining room.....real class.

I've just returned from a two week Caribbean cruise on the Ventura. My wife and I (early 50's) had a great time. The only unpleasant incident I witnessed was from a prompus older man who was thought he was better than the poor waiter he was berating. The elderly 'gentleman' then started shouting at his wife. Another diner then asked them to keep their voices down at which point the wife turned on her, then stormed out of the dining room.....real class.

I was on the cruise before yours. This sounds like the same older 'gentleman' we encountered, berating a waiter for opening his beer can before getting to the table! :mad: So rude!! Wonder if he did a back to back? That was the only incident we saw too on a fantastic cruise. Such a lovely atmosphere on Ventura.

• 3 weeks later...
My wife & I have just returned from a Ventura cruise & we both feel compelled to let fellow cruisers know of our experience & feelings.

We were both very surprised to find that the cruise was more like an Ocean Village cruise than a P&O cruise. I would at the outset say that nether of us have sailed (or indeed would sail) with Ocean Village but have in the past sailed extensively with Princess, Celebrity, RC & P&O.

We were very surprised at the clientele on board with so many people (& kids) who simply did not have any manners & behaved inappropriately. I realise that everyones money is as good as each others but the tone on the ship was simply dragged right down. Furthermore the sunbeds, which are already crammed in far more than most other ships, were monopolised with towels from the crack of dawn & P&O refused to manage the situation at all -- save the odd note in the ships programme to respect fellow passengers, which was totally ignored. Finally whilst everyone is entitled to a drink it should not be to the detriment of fellow passengers & needless to say some of the conduct after heavy drinking sessions left a lot to be desired.

The food & entertainment was generally what we had come to expect, but all of the good points were far outweighed by the above issues.

There is a saying "let the buyer beware"!! However if you are thinking of going on Ventura & expecting the P&O experience from a few years ago then you are likely to be very disappointed, just like we were. I certainly believe that the P&O brand is being damaged in its quest to attain profit irrespective & sadly the experience is now becoming more comparable with Thomsons and no where near that offered by Princess & RC.

You jumped up prig! - never been on OV but you can compare??? Actually the sun beds were not a problem on OV - the staff monitored it very well. Attached cards to the beds if left unattended more than 30 mins and removed towels. I have cruised many times and usually find its the higher echelons who are the rude ones with no manners what-so-ever.....................

Chris

How to shoot yourself in the foot!@!!!.

Ventura is like ov????/ But we have not been on OV.

And it is like Thompsons!!! Which of course we have not been on.!!!

Strange people ..... to be avoided.

:):)Happy Cruising

:):)

Dai

My wife & I have just returned from a Ventura cruise & we both feel compelled to let fellow cruisers know of our experience & feelings.

We were both very surprised to find that the cruise was more like an Ocean Village cruise than a P&O cruise. I would at the outset say that nether of us have sailed (or indeed would sail) with Ocean Village but have in the past sailed extensively with Princess, Celebrity, RC & P&O.

We were very surprised at the clientele on board with so many people (& kids) who simply did not have any manners & behaved inappropriately. I realise that everyones money is as good as each others but the tone on the ship was simply dragged right down. Furthermore the sunbeds, which are already crammed in far more than most other ships, were monopolised with towels from the crack of dawn & P&O refused to manage the situation at all -- save the odd note in the ships programme to respect fellow passengers, which was totally ignored. Finally whilst everyone is entitled to a drink it should not be to the detriment of fellow passengers & needless to say some of the conduct after heavy drinking sessions left a lot to be desired.

The food & entertainment was generally what we had come to expect, but all of the good points were far outweighed by the above issues.

There is a saying "let the buyer beware"!! However if you are thinking of going on Ventura & expecting the P&O experience from a few years ago then you are likely to be very disappointed, just like we were. I certainly believe that the P&O brand is being damaged in its quest to attain profit irrespective & sadly the experience is now becoming more comparable with Thomsons and no where near that offered by Princess & RC.

Just wondered if you were related to SMEE!!!! OV was great, nice people and plently of sunbeds, good manners, nice food, great staff, well behaved children and great location. Please don't go on Oceana next year, I would hate to bump into you. :D

Just wondered if you were related to SMEE!!!! OV was great, nice people and plently of sunbeds, good manners, nice food, great staff, well behaved children and great location. Please don't go on Oceana next year, I would hate to bump into you. :D

Apparently OV even had its own form of formal evening

Everyone wore clean T Shirts ;):):D

Cb

Tell us something we don't know! IT NO LONGER EXISTS :rolleyes:

Just returned from our first P&O cruise

on Ventura, 14 nighter around the Caribbean.

Had a wonderful time, met some great people from all walks of life. Of course, there were one or two undesirable, pompous prigs who were to staff . Suffice it to say that his daily attire would not have looked out of place in our long lost colonies.

These people make me ashamed of my country and and I can assure Smee, Rum Rat and all those who have never set foot on Ocean Village

We have just returned from an absolutely amazing caribbean cruise on the Ventura. From the moment we saw the ventura, she did not disappoint at any moment. The only problem was the typically 'british' passenger - i.e. the constant moaner. some people seemed to be treating complaining and moaning as a 'holiday hobby' - unbelievable at times...... "the ship is too big" ? - READ THE BROCHURE...... DOH!

"didnt like the days at sea" - you're on a cruise liner .....DOH!

"the mugs are too small" ......sad!

"too many indian waiters" - find me a British one as polite and one that would work the hours etc.....mission impossible!

The list could go on.....

The cleanliness is 100%. The food was superb with a menu to please everyone. There are so many areas on the shop from the library - to Costas coffee shop to a few bars etc. The staff are always there to help and ensure the passengers are adequately cared for.

loved it, loved it, loved it!!

We have just returned from an absolutely amazing caribbean cruise on the Ventura. From the moment we saw the ventura, she did not disappoint at any moment. The only problem was the typically 'british' passenger - i.e. the constant moaner. some people seemed to be treating complaining and moaning as a 'holiday hobby' - unbelievable at times...... "the ship is too big" ? - READ THE BROCHURE...... DOH!

"too many indian waiters" - find me a British one as polite and one that would work the hours etc.....mission impossible!

The cleanliness is 100%. The food was superb with a menu to please everyone. There are so many areas on the shop from the library - to Costas coffee shop to a few bars etc. The staff are always there to help and ensure the passengers are adequately cared for.

Warm welcome to CC jimjamjenny,

I agree with you entirely. I loved Ventura and everything about her. The moaners were the only thing I wished I could change. The 'mugs' is a new one on me but I heard all the other moans from your list plus a few more. We had 8 sea days (Transatlantic) so you can imagine the 'fed up of being at sea' brigade?! :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more with the previous 3 posts. "The inside of these cups are wet" and "these glasses are plastic" were two of my favourite moans from Waterside last month :rolleyes:

Next year I hope to find someone complaining that the sea's too wet and the suns too bright! :D

Just returned from our first P&O cruise

on Ventura, 14 nighter around the Caribbean.

Had a wonderful time, met some great people from all walks of life. Of course, there were one or two undesirable, pompous prigs who were to staff . Suffice it to say that his daily attire would not have looked out of place in our long lost colonies.

These people make me ashamed of my country and and I can assure Smee, Rum Rat and all those who have never set foot on Ocean Village

Sorry, typing glitch, end of last paragraph should have read"that I rarely came across that attitude on board either OV1 or OV2".

P.S

My mother and father-in-law were on Ventura earlier in the year and really enjoyed it. The best moan they heard was about an excursion "It was just a load of trees and all it did was rain". The excursion was (you've probably already guessed it) to the Rain Forest!!!!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much. We are sailing on her in April and with some of the moans I was beginning to get a little worried. I won't be moaning - to busy enjoying myself.

We have just arrived back from the Caribbean on Ventura on Sunday, 3rd time now and as per our previous trips absolutely superb, there is nothing I can even think that people can find to pick at, meet some lovely people ate some wonderful food, cant wait to set foot on her again.

Funniest moment was in the Beach house whilst eating breakfast, sat opposite were four late aged folk, dressed in there attire, Dame Edna specks and he had khaki shorts, white slip on shoes and blue knee length socks, talked like they had excrement on there top lip. Conversation was as followed in quite a loud voice " they should ban all fat people, all those with tattoos and nobody should be allows to wear vests" now looking at the state of these pillocks I just laughed out loud. Also sat near was a large chap with tattoos, I was hoping he might just throw them overboard.

What startles me is that these folk really are up there own bottoms, and it's all a big act as I am sure if they could afford to be on a upmarket liner they certainly wouldn't be on Ventura.

"""as I am sure if they could afford to be on a upmarket liner they certainly wouldn't be on Ventura."""

Can you explain that statement please?

As I read it, you are saying Ventura is of a 'lower class'. Perhaps you would care to elaborate. Is it the ship, ................. or the people?

Mike

Archived