Disappointing Ventura

9stilton

"""as I am sure if they could afford to be on a upmarket liner they certainly wouldn't be on Ventura."""

Can you explain that statement please?

As I read it, you are saying Ventura is of a 'lower class'. Perhaps you would care to elaborate. Is it the ship, ................. or the people?

Mike

Mike,

what i was explaining is that these people came over as if there were very wealthy, and that the way they were rambling on snubbing Ventura's certain client-el is that maybe they should be on one of the more top end cruise company's that cater for the more upmarket of passengers, I feel Ventura is a 4* ship and way up there as one of the best, so more than likely it was down to these people.

Mike,

what i was explaining is that these people came over as if there were very wealthy, and that the way they were rambling on snubbing Ventura's certain client-el is that maybe they should be on one of the more top end cruise company's that cater for the more upmarket of passengers, I feel Ventura is a 4* ship and way up there as one of the best, so more than likely it was down to these people.

I see. (I think). In your eyes Ventura is 4*. These fellow passengers felt they were 5*. But felt that 'their' fellow passengers were 3*, or lower.

OK

Mike

There were a group of Lancastrians at the Capt's cocktail party with thick accents talking rather loudly and a group stood next to them who were complaining about about the drop in standards aboard P&O and that the ship was full of northerners. One moaner told them to "use their indoor voices" rather patronisingly.

One chap turned around and said "that's what the queens attache said when I collected this" and produced his MBE out of his inner pocket.

Silence and a quick exit followed! :D

There were a group of Lancastrians at the Capt's cocktail party with thick accents talking rather loudly and a group stood next to them who were complaining about about the drop in standards aboard P&O and that the ship was full of northerners. One moaner told them to "use their indoor voices" rather patronisingly.

One chap turned around and said "that's what the queens attache said when I collected this" and produced his MBE out of his inner pocket.

Silence and a quick exit followed! :D

Cockneys were they Rosie? ;):D

Cb

We have just arrived back from the Caribbean on Ventura on Sunday, 3rd time now and as per our previous trips absolutely superb, there is nothing I can even think that people can find to pick at, meet some lovely people ate some wonderful food, cant wait to set foot on her again.

Funniest moment was in the Beach house whilst eating breakfast, sat opposite were four late aged folk, dressed in there attire, Dame Edna specks and he had khaki shorts, white slip on shoes and blue knee length socks, talked like they had excrement on there top lip. Conversation was as followed in quite a loud voice " they should ban all fat people, all those with tattoos and nobody should be allows to wear vests" now looking at the state of these pillocks I just laughed out loud. Also sat near was a large chap with tattoos, I was hoping he might just throw them ove

What startles me is that these folk really are up there own bottoms, and it's all a big act as I am sure if they could afford to be on a upmarket liner they certainly wouldn't be on Ventura.

Hi Dreamweaver,

We were on this cruise and enjoyed every minute.

I heard about this character's outburst from a friend who was eating nearby.

Like football hooligans and lager louts, these people are a cancer on our society and besmirch our good name abroad.

This was our first P&O after 3 OV cruises. I have written a brief report on the OV site for the benefit of those going in the new year.

Unlike Smee, I would not deem to criticise anything that I had not tried.

But I can assure him and those of a similar disposition that OV did somethings better than P&O, especially buffet dining and the entertainments teams.

"""as I am sure if they could afford to be on a upmarket liner they certainly wouldn't be on Ventura."""

Can you explain that statement please?

As I read it, you are saying Ventura is of a 'lower class'. Perhaps you would care to elaborate. Is it the ship, ................. or the people?

Mike

Mike,

Why is class so important to you. There are just people, some behave badly whatever their background and wherever they are.

The ship is well appointed and may be too large for some.

This was our first experience of the famed MDRs that some people wax lyrical about and I it is hard to criticise the food in any of the outlets, bearing in mind that they are catering for 3000+ passengers.

However, the MDRs were probably the biggest disappointment on the ship, with limited menus and ONLY ONE VEGETABLE offered each time we dined there.

But I believe in choice and there are plenty of other good dining venues on her, including East and the evening menu in the Beach House.

Hi Dreamweaver,

We were on this cruise and enjoyed every minute.

I heard about this character's outburst from a friend who was eating nearby.

Like football hooligans and lager louts, these people are a cancer on our society and besmirch our good name abroad.

This was our first P&O after 3 OV cruises. I have written a brief report on the OV site for the benefit of those going in the new year.

Unlike Smee, I would not deem to criticise anything that I had not tried.

But I can assure him and those of a similar disposition that OV did somethings better than P&O, especially buffet dining and the entertainments teams.

Nice one, did we bump into each other???? did you go with friends your location is setting alarm bells ringing does your name begin with G???

Hi All,

I recently returned from a 14 day cruise on Ventura in the Caribbean (Nov 21- Dec 04). I have to be honest & say at first, it was quite overwhelming to see such a large ship but overall I think it was an excellent cruise & experience - this coming from a novice.

The main issues I had was that I personally did not feel there was enough options for evening entertainment but I am sure the vast majority were probably more than satisfied.

I just cannot understand how some people look to find fault with each & every single little detail - the ship was fantastic, food was excellent & very varied, staff were truly outstanding & extremely courteous.

I was very happy to find people of pretty much all walks of life, all "classes" & al back grounds. I am Asian & wind everyone up with humour & did not experience any kind of snootiness or pomposity from anyone personally but i did hear quite few stories from others - mainly from some other indigenous British who were complaining that about other "regional" people from various parts of the UK. It all seemed very petty & ignorant tbh!

Pretty much everyone we met were friendly, decent & easy to get along with regardless of what part of the UK they came from or what accent they had! I found it refreshing that there were "normal" everyday people - I would have felt extremely out of place if the ship was mainly full of 3200 upper class, snooty types as I would have probably been mistaken for a waiter!

Very sadly, I did experience some isolated incidents of a few people really being very rude & obnoxious to the waiters & staff - it was quite shameful. It was obvious they felt that they could just treat them like crap & had a very superior master/servant attitude towards them. One even told me, that we are dong them all a favour by giving them jobs & that they should be grateful otherwise they would all be beggars & thieves in their homelands! & he was not as eloquent when he said it. I could not believe that grown people could have that mentality & could behave that way but it tales all sorts I suppose! Quite a few other people also informed me they had witnessed similar behaviour towards staff by a few others. Importantly, these were just a few isolated people & the vast majority were very appreciative toward the staff & recognised their efforts & commitments - not that excuses the actions of the very few people that didn't!

I would definitely cruise with P&O again - it was not just the cruise, ship, food, facilities etc that made for a excellent trip but just as importantly, meeting & mixing with so many different people from all walks of life & everyone pretty much getting along & having a great time as well - just my opinion folks!

Bazzee!

Hi All,

I recently returned from a 14 day cruise on Ventura in the Caribbean (Nov 21- Dec 04). I have to be honest & say at first, it was quite overwhelming to see such a large ship but overall I think it was an excellent cruise & experience - this coming from a novice.

Thanks for the comments, Bazzee. Glad you had a good cruise on Ventura. I think your points about Ventura (or indeed P&O) attracting people from all walks of life are very true, and are among the things we most enjoy about cruising.

Mike,

Why is class so important to you. There are just people, some behave badly whatever their background and wherever they are.

""Class"" are you saying there is no such thing as class differential? I would appreciate your observations on this.

Where have I said that people of a higher class do not behave badly? Have you ever been to Cowes during 'Cowes Week' when the 'Hooray Henrys' are down? :-((

Let's discuss 'Eating habits and table manners' of the classes ............ you start :-}

Mike

Why is every one so concerned what everybody else is doing... ? If you let someone else ruin your holiday who's the idiot? (The most loud and disruptive party I've ever been out with were a load of public school army officers and I bet not one of you would have seen those guys as common) but they were obnoxious. It's the middle classes that seem to have to look down on working classes - it seems to be a sport of some discription, the upper classes are too busy having a good time...

Bx

I thought so, did you get back ok in the end, how long was the delay. Mike and Janette were worried that you might be staying on board. Superb day at the boat yard thought. Will PM you later so not to bore this thread.

Rgds

Andy & Alison

Hi Andy ,

Yes, after an 11 hour delay. Glad you enjoyed the Boatyard.

Best Wishes to you both for the New Year

Gordon

My first post on here folks after reading from afar.

I've done 3 cruises and am now 36yrs old.

About 2003 I went on Costa Atlantica and thought it was a pleasant boat, nice food, nice vibe and people generally made the effort and loved the concept of different destinations and the mix of nationalities.

When selecting another cruise round the med, OV had been launched a year or so and the colourful appearance of the ship and their slogan "for people who dont do cruises" appealed to me as I was a tad concerned I would spend my time aboard with cream-coloured trouser folk, wearing navy-blue jackets and talking about their cruise aboard cunnard in 1892.

When we went through passport control, in front were a load of pikeys. About 7 of them in matching shell suits, from the kids to the grandad. One their carrier bag's split and a load of jam sandwiches wrapped in cling film dropped onto the floor. I thought "great".

Later on we sat in the restaurant and it was like a staff canteen and the slop they served up was dire. Next to us was a family of about 5 and I kid you not, the youngest who was about 12 years old weighed 15 stone and the parents must have been 20+ stone. And it was disgusting how they had about 3 plates of food each on the go.

Later in the bar, me and the mrs was sat having a mojito and this wideboy came over like a 2 pence millionaire with a full white suit on, talking about his rolex in a very loud voice to the barman and the drinkers there. My mrs worked for Goldmiths as a branch manager for a while and spotted it was a fake straight away.

In closing, the ship was awash with slobs of various species - and the boat itself was small, tedious and shabby.

I got no problem with people on low income getting on a boat - hell, I was dragged up on a council estate myself - but the fact remains that manners are FREE and there was a distinct lack of them displayed often on OV - with the worst offenders the 2p millionaires who 'think' they are rich and ponce about.

Having just come back earlier this year on Independance of the Seas with our little boy, we were told to seek out the Ventura next as it was great for toddlers.

The P&O brand shows pedigree and the boat looks beautiful - but if the KFC posse are boatless and heading there from now on I think I will swerve it.

About 2003 I went on Costa Atlantica and thought it was a pleasant boat, nice food, nice vibe and people generally made the effort and loved the concept of different destinations and the mix of nationalities.

When selecting another cruise round the med, OV had been launched a year or so and the colourful appearance of the ship and their slogan "for people who dont do cruises" appealed to me as I was a tad concerned I would spend my time aboard with cream-coloured trouser folk, wearing navy-blue jackets and talking about their cruise aboard cunnard in 1892.

When we went through passport control, in front were a load of pikeys. About 7 of them in matching shell suits, from the kids to the grandad. One their carrier bag's split and a load of jam sandwiches wrapped in cling film dropped onto the floor. I thought "great".

Later on we sat in the restaurant and it was like a staff canteen and the slop they served up was dire. Next to us was a family of about 5 and I kid you not, the youngest who was about 12 years old weighed 15 stone and the parents must have been 20+ stone. And it was disgusting how they had about 3 plates of food each on the go.

Later in the bar, me and the mrs was sat having a mojito and this wideboy came over like a 2 pence millionaire with a full white suit on, talking about his rolex in a very loud voice to the barman and the drinkers there. My mrs worked for Goldmiths as a branch manager for a while and spotted it was a fake straight away.

In closing, the ship was awash with slobs of various species - and the boat itself was small, tedious and shabby.

I got no problem with people on low income getting on a boat - hell, I was dragged up on a council estate myself - but the fact remains that manners are FREE and there was a distinct lack of them displayed often on OV - with the worst offenders the 2p millionaires who 'think' they are rich and ponce about.

Having just come back earlier this year on Independance of the Seas with our little boy, we were told to seek out the Ventura next as it was great for toddlers.

The P&O brand shows pedigree and the boat looks beautiful - but if the KFC posse are boatless and heading there from now on I think I will swerve it.

Welcome! Extremely bold post for a 1st timer, perhaps you'd like to copy and paste your post on the OV board, i'm sure they'll make you feel welcome.

I'm sure IOS is lovely, however I like my beer walm and in £'s and don't like being forsed to pay for service whether or not it's good. I also prefer my kids to be supervised by qualified nursery / child care workers and not some grad students with no life skills.

If you don't try P&O you'll never know....... !

I think your wife is wasted at Goldsmiths, if she can spot a fake Rolex at 100 yards she should either work for HMCS or one of the london auction houses

Now most will know I am not Ventura's number one fan, but surely this post is just a wind-up.

Actually I found it quite amusing as I assume it is either not true or quite an exaggeration!

:)

Gerry

Now most will know I am not Ventura's number one fan, but surely this post is just a wind-up.

Actually I found it quite amusing as I assume it is either not true or quite an exaggeration!

:)

Gerry

Gerry

Struck a certain resonance when reading the bits about the Pikeys & 2 pence millionaire :D:D

Cb

Im a highly successful International Sales Director and have sailed three times on OV and had a great time - each time in the Caribbean and each time an outside balcony cabin. We have just come back from the Ventura, superior outside balcony cabin (£6000 for two weeks) and sadly I dont want to say this but OV was far better - the staff more friendly and polite, the food was better, the atmosphere was better and the ports were never cancelled, and you did not have a Catain that admitted he would rather be anywhere else than on the Ventura. Snobbery I think is setting in are you "OLD MONEY" or self made?????

Im a highly successful International Sales Director and have sailed three times on OV and had a great time - each time in the Caribbean and each time an outside balcony cabin. We have just come back from the Ventura, superior outside balcony cabin (£6000 for two weeks) and sadly I dont want to say this but OV was far better - the staff more friendly and polite, the food was better, the atmosphere was better and the ports were never cancelled, and you did not have a Catain that admitted he would rather be anywhere else than on the Ventura. Snobbery I think is setting in are you "OLD MONEY" or self made?????

Highly successul Sales Director? Sorry, International Sales Director!

Do you have your own trumpet or does someone else blow it for you?

Does someone else check your spelling too? What is a Catain? :)

I've nothing against your post, I agree with most of it.

But why on earth would someone start a post with the sentence you have. So what, I could not care if you are a binman, Doctor or Librarian!

:(

Archived