How about How about B1 - Veranda Stateroom 1 - 6001

polecat1

I would not want that cabin.

Too much wind across the bow when underway.

Too much anchor chain noise when anchoring.

Too much thruster vibration when thrusting at docks.

I much prefer midships, but that is me.

I would not want that cabin.

Too much wind across the bow when underway.

Too much anchor chain noise when anchoring.

Too much thruster vibration when thrusting at docks.

I much prefer midships, but that is me.

Not to mention exaggerated motion in rougher seas (the only cabin I got sea-sick).

DH and I have always stayed midship on deck four. We like the convenience ~ one flight up to eat, one deck down to exit for excursions. However, I had my nails done one very windy day during rough seas. The spa is in the front of the ship. The poor nail tech was literally green and I was in fear of losing a fingertip as she cut my nails. Personally, I would avoid any 001 cabin.

We have loved the bow cabins on two trips--Baltic and Med (Rome-Istanbul) and had lovely weather both times. We have chosen mid-ship for cruises that usually hit bad weather--So. Amer., Australia-New Zealand, and recent Barcelona-London as many days were in the Atlantic. If you're not likely to get seasick, the front cabins are fine. ddcruiser

Is the cruise really that much rougher in 6001? Is it still possible to enjoy coffee in the morning on the 6001 veranda? Is the cabin size also that much larger than a regular b1 cabin?

Yes it is that much rougher in the front of the ship especially in a storm when the

front of the ship slams in and out of the water...Yes you can usually enjoy your coffee on your veranda. I believe the cabin is the same size but the veranda is deeper.

We always book B category forward and one day will "own" 6009 (we have had it so many times). Cabin sizes are pretty much the same. Can't give any advice on the wind business, it isn't a problem on the side. I love feeling like I am on a ship and seldom have enough wave action to enjoy "the ride" - we also never get seasick. Anchor and thrusters don't bother us either, they are very short-lived and not that many ports require the anchor unless it is a "tender port". View should be great.

We always book B category forward and one day will "own" 6009 (we have had it so many times). Cabin sizes are pretty much the same. Can't give any advice on the wind business, it isn't a problem on the side. I love feeling like I am on a ship and seldom have enough wave action to enjoy "the ride" - we also never get seasick. Anchor and thrusters don't bother us either, they are very short-lived and not that many ports require the anchor unless it is a "tender port". View should be great.

Glad to hear that 6009 works for you. We just booked cabin #6004 for a "Baltic Cruise" next July on the Insignia. After reading many negative posts I was worried because this cabin is all the way forward, next to a big suite (I figured if the location is good enough for a suite, its good enough for us)....so being forward didn't worry me because we never get seasick and the price was right.

The reason we chose 6004 is because its category C1, it has no balcony, just a window, and on the diagram it seems longer/bigger than a regular window or balcony cabin....the extra space in the cabin is the area where the balcony would be.....(did I explain that correctly? you have to look at the brochure to understand what I mean)..... I could have had a window cabin for the same price on deck 4, but this one is bigger and on deck 6.

There are only 4 such cabins...2 on deck 6 and 2 on deck 7.

Anyone familiar with cabin 6004?

Forgot to mention above...this is our 9th cruise....first time on Oceania.

btw...can someone give me information on the self-service laundry aboard the Insignia... We are hoping to travel light and are counting on using the self-service laundry.

Are there sufficient washer/dryers? is it open all the time? (both when docked or while cruising).

Also is the cleaners onboard Oceania very expensive? (in previous cruises I have packed way too much and have never needed to send clothing to the cleaners).

Hi Imarmors,

Self service laundry on Insignia is fine is you have some spare time. There was typically a line of about 3-4 folks waiting to do laundry all at the same time. There were only a few machines 4 each wash/dry. You will need to get the coins from the concierge desk. If you go at off times then you are all set. Be sure to bring small packets of detergent to use. If not you can always get it from the con. desk.

The laundry service from Insignia is great also. The airline lost my luggage ( thank goodness I had my carry-on bag) so the ship offered to do all my carry-on stuff at no charge...great amenity to use if you want someone else to do it. Simply place your items in the laundry bag provided and leave it in your room. they will have it back the same day! Sorry, but I don't recall the pricing for the laundry service. I believe the laundry is open 7am to about 10 or 11pm. I did feel sorry for the folks in the adjacent staterooms. There was often a lot of chatter in the hallways while folks were waiting for their laundry. There is also a small Tv in the laudry room.

We are about to book our 2nd O cruise and this time I will pack very light. the first cruise we brought two big suite cases and didn't use about half of what we brought.

:)

We love O cruises!!

Forgot to mention above...this is our 9th cruise....first time on Oceania.

btw...can someone give me information on the self-service laundry aboard the Insignia... We are hoping to travel light and are counting on using the self-service laundry.

Are there sufficient washer/dryers? is it open all the time? (both when docked or while cruising).

There are 4 washer/dryers cost of $2 each which you gewt tokens from reception

Soap is included just push the button on the washer once the water is started

they have 2 irons/boards & if you want to wait they have a sofa & t.v.

Hours I believe are 7:30 am to 10 pm last load at 9 pm or the room will be locked with your clothes till morning ;)

With the laundry room timing is everything

Do not plan to go at 7:30 you will not get a washer unless you were in line before 7 am;)

It would take me about 90 min to do a load wash/dry

someone posted the laundry prices here someplace just use the SEARCH button top right

...I did feel sorry for the folks in the adjacent staterooms. There was often a lot of chatter in the hallways while folks were waiting for their laundry...

It's a lot better than you might expect. We spent 26 days in 7078, about 3 feet from 7076, which is directly across from the laundry room. There is no noise from the hall when the cabin door is closed. Plus, being so close is a real asset when trying to figure out the best time to do laundry.

It's a lot better than you might expect. We spent 26 days in 7078, about 3 feet from 7076, which is directly across from the laundry room. There is no noise from the hall when the cabin door is closed. Plus, being so close is a real asset when trying to figure out the best time to do laundry.

Thank you for the information...

Noise is not an issue anyway since we are in cabin #6004 one deck below laundry room.

BUT, just curious....how many suitcases did you pack for a 26 day cruise?

Don't laugh:D....but I promised my DH to pack two carry-ons and two backpacks for both of us, for a 14 day cruise next July, plus 4 days pre-cruise in Stockholm...I'm planning to do laundry on board once or twice, plus send out stuff to the ship's cleaners if needed:confused:....

Thank you OPAL8 and LHT28 for your information on the laundry room. Do you know if the laundry room is open every day of the cruise, even when in port?....

Yes everyday

it opens about 1 pm on embarkation day also

Don probably packs less than I do

We usually take 2 x 26" cases for anything over 7 days to 30+ days

1 carry-on tote with meds & valuables

I visit the laundry room weekly ;)

Lyn

Thank you for the information...

Noise is not an issue anyway since we are in cabin #6004 one deck below laundry room.

That actually leads to a funny story.

First, that cruise started and ended in Miami, about 2.5 hours drive from our home, so we had no weight restrictions. Second, that was just our second cruise after reviving our traveling (in 2006, after retirement), and by far the longest -- the previous cruise that year had been 12 days, also from Miami. We had not yet learned to pack light.

Third, I confess to being a junk-food junkie in the evenings, and there are no ready supplies of pretzels or potato chips that I can find on a cruise ship. Fourth, Oceania at that time was not including soda, and I'm addicted to caffeine-free Diet Pepsi (I can tolerate Diet Coke if it's free).

We're also more attuned to RV travel where we simply load half the stuff we own, just in case, and drive away.

Putting that all together, we each packed a full size suitcase (30"?), and then I packed two medium size suitcases (26") with 72 cans (3 cases) of Diet Pepsi, bags of pretzels and a couple of cans of potato sticks, then spread some bottles of wine throughout all the cases. There was almost more "stuff" than clothing, when you add the electronic stuff -- laptop, cameras, phones, power strip, chargers, etc.

In contrast, we just took a 10 day cruise to New England and Canada and did the who thing in two carry-ons, a small computer bag and an Oceania tote bag. I wore my sport coat on the plane. We loved walking on and off the plane with all our luggage, and also walking on and off the ship with all of it -- no lost luggage, no waiting to disembark, no looking for luggage in the terminal and best of all for a XmXiXsXeXrX thrifty person like me, no porters to tip.

The only difference between 10 days and 30 days is a couple of laundries or dry cleanings. But, our next cruise is only 7 days out of Fort Lauderdale -- no need to pack light. It's also on Regent Voyager, which also features elegant casual dress, but since I like to wear sports coats, I'll probably take 2 or 3. Probably two 26" suitcases.

We have overpacked in the past but I am determined to pack only 2 carryons each for our next cruise. I am planning to use the ship's laundry and cleaning services as required. We'll see how it works. Unfortunately since we cancelled the Marina's maiden voyage our next cruise isn't until next November. :(

Mo

We have finally reached the point where we don't feel the need to travel with a different pair of shoes for each outfit. I also have discovered Chicos, which makes clothes that dry almost immediately - it is under their Zynergy label. They have long pants, capri length and shorts, which when washed in the sink will be dry by morning. We also found the Columbia fishing clothes - the pants zip off into shorts and the shirts have a few pockets and they also dry overnight. Tilly socks dry overnight. We may not make a major fashion statement, but can pack for any length trip in one suitcase each. I think our camera bags weigh more than our suitcases. I just buy a bottle of liquid detergent before embarking and bring along my Rick Steves clothesline. It only takes a minute to wash out the days outfit, so I have never used laundry facilities on any ship - if there is a formal night, we may send out a dressy outfit for pressing.

The best C1 cabin in my opinon is 6031. We stayed in that cabin 2 yrs ago.No neighbor to our right and close to the elevator and stairs. We are booked on 2 more cruise with O 2011 and 2012 but chose to go to A 1 for the 4 night restaurant reservations.

Archived