flights from Barcelona to Paris

joandian

We are planning on spending a few days in Paris after our Med cruise next June. To join the cruise we are flying into Heathrow (and back) on Continental and than thinking of flying BA to Barcelona.

I've been checking flights from Barcelona to Paris and it appears our best option is Barcelona - Heathrow - Paris.

I googled looking for flights and the Air France price is nearly twice that of BA although it is a direct flight. I did see Easy Jet and will admit all I know of them is the TV series from a few years ago. I don't think I want to mess around on the cheap carriers when we will probably have 3 suitcases and assorted carry on.

Having said that, I'd appreciate any recommendations or advice.

Jo

I am a little confused about your plans??

Did you price Houston to Barcelona to Paris to Houston as a multi city ticket to compare the price?

I can't picture flying from Barcelona to Paris by way of London??

I suppose Houston round trip to London is an inexpensive fare? So now is it that you need London to Barcelona to Paris to London?? Sounds confusing but Iberia has a partnership with BA and American if that helps any.

You can also check out the internal European airlines on a site like: http://www.whichbudget.com It shows which airlines fly to each city

We always fly Continental when we can. There are no direct flights to Barcelona from Houston so instead of flying to Newark to connect, we'd prefer to connect through Heathrow and we can upgrade to first class on the IAH - Heathrow flight using points (already booked).

Yes, we need to go from Heathrow to Barcelona and then from Barcleona to Paris to Heathrow.

I had difficulty finding direct flights from Barcelona to Paris. All were routed through other cities. I'll check out the link you sent, thanks.

Jo

I had difficulty finding direct flights from Barcelona to Paris. All were routed through other cities.

I can't help with the flight info, but was just wondering if you had checked out the possibility of taking the train between Barcelona and Paris?

That's what we are planning right now (but from Paris to Barcelona BEFORE the cruise).

We are on the Carnival Magic for the same dates. We are flying New York to Amsterdam to Barcelona on KLM and then on to Paris for 3 days, back to New York, all on Air France. We thought we got a decent deal for $1299.

There are two airports in Paris, Charles de Gaulle which is the main one, and Orly. Air France will fly you into both. Iberia say they fly from BCN to Paris but I suspect this is not an Iberia flight (which would be OK) but a flight by Vueling, their no-frills subsiduary. I cannot recommend Vueling, they have the smallest seat pitch I have ever come across (making Easyjet at 28" feel like business class). The only reason you can sit in the seat in front where your legs go. The back of the seat in front is really in your face... and it's reclinable.

The suggestion to go by rail is worth considering. There is a sleeper train that goes from BCN to Paris (which saves a night in a hotel and you can take as much luggage as you like and it delivers you to the centre of Paris). The Spanish railway site is http://www.renfe.com and if you click on "welcome" you get it in English.

Thanks everyone. I'll check all these options including the train.

If we had no preference to flights and did them all in one booking it would have been so much easier, but we like to use the points to upgrade the trans-Atlantic flight and of course couldn't do it any other way.

Bobby, that sounds like great pricing. Our fare IAH to Heathrow was about $870 return. I hope I can organise the rest of the flights for a decent price without having to deal with the cost price airlines.

Jo

What's your problem with the low cost carriers please? We've been using them for years for short (less than a couple of hours) flights. Never had a problem. If you can manage a short flight without all the trimmings they are a good bet in the main. I wouldn't knock them if they go where you want to go!

I have no problem with them as far as an airline is concerned, especially as you say, it is going where I want to go. The problem is by the time we end our 12 day cruise with gifts for all the grandkids, we will probably fill up the extra bag (a fold up) we travel with, so 3 bags all up. We both also need to travel with laptops/bags due to our work. So usually have 2 carry ons each.

It just gets too hard with the low cost carriers. I've checked Easy Jet this morning and we can only have the max of 43kg of paid for luggage between the 2 of us and one carry on. We usually leave home with around 23kg each. If I could be sure we and all our assorted luggage could make the flight, I'd be happy to book with them especially since there is not a lot of options :confused:

Yes, fair enough - I can see how that might be a problem for you guys. Sounds like you spoil your grandkids!:D:D still, that's what they are for.

I've learned to travel light and I get "stuff" shipped back instead of carrying it. Going away for 5 weeks in January - planning on using one bag each. Taking a notebook instead of laptop this time. Our next trip to England for a week over christmas will be carry-on only. Christmas presents will have been shipped on ahead. The low-costers concentrate the packing mind wonderfully!

Yes, the grandkids are very spoilt. :D I started buying them the books you find in souvenir shops, about each country we visit. There are 3 different families (6 grandkids), so 3 of each book. I love them to learn about the different countries since they don't seem to do that in school much any more, but the weight sure adds up :(

I also need to learn to pack lighter and I'm getting better. My husband makes me put back half the clothes I 'think' I'm going to pack. :rolleyes:

We are going home to Australia for Christmas and I doubt I'll be doing it with just a carry on ;)

Jo

If you believe even one of you are going to need 2 carry-ons, then I would NOT consider Easyjet. While it is a fine airline (I flew on it this spring), they are very strict about that 1 carry-on rule.

I really didn't mind Vueling - I took it BCN-PSA this spring. The carry-ons weren't an issue. I flew with 2 friends and we did one row together. I'm one who gets claustrophobic once in awhile on planes. Even though I had the window seat, I didn't feel penned in.

But, for you, I don't know if Vueling would work, either. It flies into Orly, not CDG. You'd have to take the RER train between the 2 airports. But, if you don't mind that, I'd look at Vueling.

Hi all,

This discussion is very helpful for my planning as well. I'm looking into flying from Wash DC to Paris, stay two days, then fly to Barcelona for two days before my cruise. the issue is that my cruise comes back into Venice instead of Barcelona. So, my airfare price is jacked up higher. For some reason flights out of Venice are more expensive than flights out of Barcelona.

Any suggestions?

Also, wha's the difference between the airports in Paris? I'm looking into flights now and I fly into one airport, but leave out of a different one.

Hi all,

This discussion is very helpful for my planning as well. I'm looking into flying from Wash DC to Paris, stay two days, then fly to Barcelona for two days before my cruise. the issue is that my cruise comes back into Venice instead of Barcelona. So, my airfare price is jacked up higher. For some reason flights out of Venice are more expensive than flights out of Barcelona.

Any suggestions?

Hi all,

Any suggestions?

Part of it is that you are going a farther distance on your return; it's usually more expensive to fly into and out of different cities. They are considered two one-way tickets. Also, EVERYTHING is more expensive in Venice. Including hotels and water taxis.:eek:

Thanks. I think I left out a piece of my point. I understand the expense of using different airports. In addition to that factor, it seems like there are fewer flight options. Fewer airlines fly into/out of Venice than Barcelona.

Part of it is that you are going a farther distance on your return; it's usually more expensive to fly into and out of different cities. They are considered two one-way tickets. Also, EVERYTHING is more expensive in Venice. Including hotels and water taxis.:eek:

• 1 month later...
I can't help with the flight info, but was just wondering if you had checked out the possibility of taking the train between Barcelona and Paris?

That's what we are planning right now (but from Paris to Barcelona BEFORE the cruise).

this is what we are planning to do too for our cruise in June. We just booked the cruise with Carnival and never been to Europe before. Can you share some of your information in term of

1. where to stay in Paris?

2. Train from Paris to Barcelona

3. How to get to the ship from the train station.

I feel overwhelm with the information and not enough time. Thank you

Perhaps I can help on the train since we did a return trip BCN-PARIS-BCN last July. The Paris train is an overnight sleeper train called the Jean Miro. It departs from Austerlitz Station at around 2000 and arrives at Barcelona Franca around 0900. The main station for Barcelona is Barcelona Sants and the two are linked by a local train but I would imagine you could get a taxi from Franca to the port, though it is a bit of a sleepy hollow these days since a new high speed terminal is being built to link into the French high speed network; talk is of 8 hours Barcelona-London in 2012. Return costs in a Grand Class sleeper for 2 including a very good dinner and wine, and breakfast, were around €700 though I believe you no longer get Dinner included:( First class is considerably cheaper and you get a cabin for two, but without a private shower and bathroom.

I should have said that your ticket includes the transit from Franca to Sants.

We thoroughly enjoyed our round trip, which included going on to the UK via Eurostar.

If you need more detailed advice I can source it fairly easily since we live a few hours south of Barcelona and use it as our cruise and long haul flight base.

You might consider this of interest:

http://www.trenhotel.com/htm/default.htm?lang=3

There is also a Paris-Venice overnight service.

Archived