Advance Depression

TEXASMUNK

Have you noticed over the past year that when RCI is making any change, especially when we do not know any of the specifics, many, many posters automatically assume it will be negative?

For example, RCI is adding Diamond and Diamond Plus lounges to two ships....the threads were rampant with how RCI had kicked Diamond and Diamond Plus members to the curb. Well, now we find out they are meeting the needs of these folks.

Or, RCI is adding restaurants...automatically is is assumed they will be for charge restaurants and that RCI will only eliminate those perfect spaces some CC'rs love and cherish.

No wonder newbies are timid and folks then to assume every post or question will get flamed...

Guys...we all cruise because we love it! Lighten up!!!!

Or, RCI is adding restaurants...automatically is is assumed they will be for charge restaurants and that RCI will only eliminate those perfect spaces some CC'rs love and cherish.

With the 5 new restaurants being added to Radiance, one out of the 5 will be complimentary.......Park Cafe. So, it's not really a matter of assumption on anyone's part.........it's fact.;)

Ok, I will do a rant on RCI. This used to be our favorite cruise line (by far) and we never missed an opportunity to cruise...especially when we could get a longer cruise or a TA (transatlantic). In simple terms we were happy Diamond cruisers and we even had the pleasure of meeting Kewlguy in the concierge lounge (the highlight our our cruising career). Then, the brains at RCI took away the concierge lounge, downgraded the quality of the cuisine, cut-back on entertainment budgets, put all their efforts into getting us to spend more money on-board by charging for things such as good coffee (it should be included), decent ice cream, etc etc. Meanwhile they lowered many standards of behavior on the ships, let people into the MDR in shorts (against the rules), with baseball caps, stocking caps, ripped jeans, etc. They then decided to start reserving certain deck chairs and show seats for suite passengers (back to a 2 class cruising experience). And than, to add insult to injury they changed their pricing structure to do things such as not permitting the use of our stockholder discount with other discounts..etc etc. And finally, they said we could no longer bring some wine on-board (to enjoy on our balcony) and now they even have a problem if we want to bring a few bottles of Diet Pepsi. Well, the thing is we cruise on many other cruise lines (12 in all) and understand that other lines are not like RCI. So, the end result is that some RCI cruise lovers are now lovers of several other cruise lines and no longer have RCI on the radar screen. Now mind you, we are not against RCI Corp, will be on Celebrity in a few weeks and would go on Azamara at the drop of a hat (they do not wear baseball hats in the dining room) but it will take more than a new Diamond Lounge to lure us back to RCI. End of Rant! :)

Hank

Thank you, TexasMunk, for bringing sanity to the board again. I am happy to cruise. Royal Caribbean suits us. If they give us something for doing what I like, that's wonderful. If they don't ... oh well. I guess we get what we pay for, huh? :D;)

Just off the Serenade of the Seas in October. We are finally Diamond and was really looking forward to the Concierge Lounge for drinks before dinner. The Diamond Lounge was in the Vortex Lounge and only wine or beer was free. We went 4 nights and there was only one other couple up there with us. The waiter was awesome, but the lounge was nothing. I guess now we have to book a SUITE to get the concierge lounge!!!

I will say something that I know is not popular opinion:

I like specialty restaurants! The per diem cost of a cruise in most non-high-level-suite rooms is compberable to an average hotel room which does not include any meals. IMHO if I am getting 2 meals included and have to pay a nominal charge for the third, it's still the best vacation deal around. And I think sometimes we forget that there is no ship or sailing on which anyone must use any of the specialty restaurants.

Just off the Serenade of the Seas in October. We are finally Diamond and was really looking forward to the Concierge Lounge for drinks before dinner. The Diamond Lounge was in the Vortex Lounge and only wine or beer was free. We went 4 nights and there was only one other couple up there with us. The waiter was awesome, but the lounge was nothing. I guess now we have to book a SUITE to get the concierge lounge!!!

The Concierge Lounge is no longer available to Diamond members. You get a D/D+ event on ships without a Diamond Lounge. The event and the lounge do not have the same perks.

The cruise lines are like banks - read all the info you get by snail mail or email.

I'll just talk dollars and cents. About 3 years ago I was paying 200 to 400 dollars more per person for a balcony on a 7 day cruise. Same gratuities.

I still do not understand the complaining about the loss of benefits. RCI is catering to families and young adults more so now than ever before.

I am grateful our perks lasted as long as they did. BTW my first cruise was in 1983, first with RCI 1992. Many things have come and gone, just wish those that made threats to cruise another line, would be gone, too.

Ok, I will do a rant on RCI. This used to be our favorite cruise line (by far) and we never missed an opportunity to cruise...especially when we could get a longer cruise or a TA (transatlantic). In simple terms we were happy Diamond cruisers and we even had the pleasure of meeting Kewlguy in the concierge lounge (the highlight our our cruising career). Then, the brains at RCI took away the concierge lounge, downgraded the quality of the cuisine, cut-back on entertainment budgets, put all their efforts into getting us to spend more money on-board by charging for things such as good coffee (it should be included), decent ice cream, etc etc. Meanwhile they lowered many standards of behavior on the ships, let people into the MDR in shorts (against the rules), with baseball caps, stocking caps, ripped jeans, etc. They then decided to start reserving certain deck chairs and show seats for suite passengers (back to a 2 class cruising experience). And than, to add insult to injury they changed their pricing structure to do things such as not permitting the use of our stockholder discount with other discounts..etc etc. And finally, they said we could no longer bring some wine on-board (to enjoy on our balcony) and now they even have a problem if we want to bring a few bottles of Diet Pepsi. Well, the thing is we cruise on many other cruise lines (12 in all) and understand that other lines are not like RCI. So, the end result is that some RCI cruise lovers are now lovers of several other cruise lines and no longer have RCI on the radar screen. Now mind you, we are not against RCI Corp, will be on Celebrity in a few weeks and would go on Azamara at the drop of a hat (they do not wear baseball hats in the dining room) but it will take more than a new Diamond Lounge to lure us back to RCI. End of Rant! :)

Hank

You are doing exactly what coporate hopes you will do, why do you think just recently more benefits are being provided on X and Azamara. I agree about the dress code on RCI, X will work much better for you where that is concerned but, remember Azamar has open sitting for dinner and dress is resort casual, no formal nights.

I will say something that I know is not popular opinion:

I like specialty restaurants! The per diem cost of a cruise in most non-high-level-suite rooms is compberable to an average hotel room which does not include any meals. IMHO if I am getting 2 meals included and have to pay a nominal charge for the third, it's still the best vacation deal around. And I think sometimes we forget that there is no ship or sailing on which anyone must use any of the specialty restaurants.

I agree, I love the choices.

It's just like the rest of life: some people are lemon suckers, and others (like me :D) make lemonade.

Now that's funny and so true. I often wonder why some on these boards even cruise. It seems that all they do is go around looking for something complain about. If I were that miserable cruising on a particular line, I would have the common sense to either find a new cruise line or a new form of vacation.

I'll just talk dollars and cents. About 3 years ago I was paying 200 to 400 dollars more per person for a balcony on a 7 day cruise. Same gratuities.

I still do not understand the complaining about the loss of benefits. RCI is catering to families and young adults more so now than ever before.

I am grateful our perks lasted as long as they did. BTW my first cruise was in 1983, first with RCI 1992. Many things have come and gone, just wish those that made threats to cruise another line, would be gone, too.

And if the cruise lines could get $200-$400 more per person under the present conditions they would still be charging it. Do you think pricing is down because the cruise lines are trying to give us all a break?

Have you noticed over the past year that when RCI is making any change, especially when we do not know any of the specifics, many, many posters automatically assume it will be negative?

Guys...we all cruise because we love it! Lighten up!!!!

I agree with you on this. I posted something similar on the overhaul thread back on the 8th.

"Looks like some good changes and they are not all about generating revenue. Seems most want to run right to the negative and overlook the positive aspects of the changes".

Archived