Splendor needs provisions already?

aebalc

I thought that these ships left port with enough provisions to last far longer than one would think necessary just in case something came up and they needed to be self sufficient at sea for a time. Even without refrigeration I'm shocked that they needed to get provisions sent so soon. Am I out of line or did you think the same?

I thought that these ships left port with enough provisions to last far longer than one would think necessary just in case something came up and they needed to be self sufficient at sea for a time. Even without refrigeration I'm shocked that they needed to get provisions sent so soon. Am I out of line or did you think the same?

They really don't carry a lot of canned stuff. "open can and serve stuff".

The self sufficient thing is assuming they're avoiding weather, port problems..etc..and have a functional power supply and kitchen.

The dry goods stuff is like flour, beans, rice---etc. All require power to cook.

From what I understand they have no cooking and no refergration. . They need MRE meals ready to eat that dont need cooking or refergeration, And each meal is self contained. They could use what they have till food gets to unsafe tempture . They dont want cruisers getting sick on top of everything. I understand they now have toilets working , limited lighting an cold runing water no hot water. Hard to clean anything. CARL

Normal provisions are for normal times, with power.

These are not normal times.

Could they survive without getting this extra stuff. Probably. Just ask the Chilean miners.

And, we do not KNOW what they sent out there.

Not sure how far away from the fire the storage rooms are, but eating food that has smoke damage can be deadly. When I was an insurance adjuster one of the rules we had was that any food in a kitchen that had fire damage we paid to replace.

If you lose power, you lose your refrigerator. If you lose your refrigerator, all the meat and other perishables go bad. Happens all the time in Florida when we have hurricanes. No difference than on a ship. In addition, once you lose power for several hours and then it is restored, the question arises. Is that food any good? Can you imagine the suits if they gave any bad food to the cruisers.

And don't forget they cook their own bread on a daily basis. Having been on a couple of Galley tours it's truly amazing how much bread each day is prepared. So while they may have a good supply of hamburg & hot dogs rolls (but can't cook either hamburgs or hotdogs) after a couple of days feeding every person on the ship cold meals it would seem to me that supply would be running low. And as another poster stated they can't process water so bottled water could be very low also. Cereal and milk products would be a needed item also. And yes there are milk products that do not have to be refrigerated just ask anyone in the Military who has been deployed. You just never know but I'm sure we'll hear all about it once they get back! ;)

Yesterday, I saw a slideshow of pictures, mostly of the Navy loading supplies onto helicopters. I can't find it again, but I think it was on CNN's website.

Anyway, there were a couple of pictures of sailors holding several boxes marked "Crab Meat" and "Keep Refrigerated". I thought this was strange, because all reports are that the refrigeration on the Splendor is out.

Paul

So, how long would you continue to eat spoiled or uncooked food? :confused:

Archived