I hope RCCL does NOT follow suit on this!!

Sue L

I got this the other day and it seems when one line changes a policy they all seem to start following, I hope they don't do this one

this is from Princess and Cunard

Effective Wednesday, December 1, 2010, ALL Princess Cruises and Cunard Line bookings will automatically cancel as soon as the final payment is past due. Additionally, there will be no grace periods or extensions allowed for receipt of final payment. All Electronic Fund Transfers must be submitted and payments by check must be posted by the final payment date. This final payment policy will also apply to Group bookings.

In addition, new booking options will be limited to only one extension.

The new policies will be in effect for all voyages sailing March 1, 2011 and thereafter.

I got this the other day and it seems when one line changes a policy they all seem to start following, I hope they don't do this one

this is from Princess and Cunard

Effective Wednesday, December 1, 2010, ALL Princess Cruises and Cunard Line bookings will automatically cancel as soon as the final payment is past due. Additionally, there will be no grace periods or extensions allowed for receipt of final payment. All Electronic Fund Transfers must be submitted and payments by check must be posted by the final payment date. This final payment policy will also apply to Group bookings.

In addition, new booking options will be limited to only one extension.

The new policies will be in effect for all voyages sailing March 1, 2011 and thereafter.

Well, doesn't everyone like to be paid on time, at least customers are not being charged a late fee ;):p

###

But it makes no allowances for mistakes, does it?

Royal Caribbean has messed up my December reservations on the Navigator. If this policy were in effect, my reservations would have been cancelled.........through NO fault of mine!

:eek:

But it makes no allowances for mistakes, does it?

Royal Caribbean has messed up my December reservations on the Navigator. If this policy were in effect, my reservations would have been cancelled.........through NO fault of mine!

:eek:

You got it!!!! It is amazing how many people "forget" and that is with a reminder call a few days before. Or wait to the last minute and then bring cash. Which is wonderful but we have to turn around and send a check and they don't make allowance in their calculations for that even though they are told the facts beforehand.

You got it!!!! It is amazing how many people "forget" and that is with a reminder call a few days before. Or wait to the last minute and then bring cash. Which is wonderful but we have to turn around and send a check and they don't make allowance in their calculations for that even though they are told the facts beforehand.

Huh? I don't think that you understood what I wrote, or you just aren't actually responding to my post.

I made final payment EARLY. Everything was and still should be fine with my reservations. THEY made a mistake on my reservation that made it appear TO THEM that I hadn't paid the whole thing.

With an automatic system, I would have lost my cruise EVEN THOUGH I HAD PAID IN FULL.

I owned a childcare for 16 years. No one ever forgot to bring their child to me but often the payment was forgotten. I engaged my brain one day and decided no more. When payment wasn't made I would give the child a large hug and big smile and tell them it was nice of them to come by and let me know they were spending the day with their parent. Parents would not forget anymore after that. Cruiselines are a business, you pay ontime or you don't sail. Sounds reasonable to me. Paying a couple weeks early doesn't hurt either, therefore you have time to catch any problems.

Huh? I don't think that you understood what I wrote, or you just aren't actually responding to my post.

I made final payment EARLY. Everything was and still should be fine with my reservations. THEY made a mistake on my reservation that made it appear TO THEM that I hadn't paid the whole thing.

With an automatic system, I would have lost my cruise EVEN THOUGH I HAD PAID IN FULL.

Sorry, I was responding to your general getting it, sorry should have worded it better. Long day. lol

I meant that in general a hard and fast cancellation is going to cause problems.

but you would be surprised how many don't, even after being reminded.

Sue,

Do they always remind you before final payment? I'm asking because on my las cruise I made the final payment the day before it was due (I was expecting a reminder call from Royal that day, but never got one) On all our previous cruises, we always paid in full several months before the final due date. Now, because of their new policy on price drops, I've decided to wait until the last minute. I hope there is no mistakes like what happened to Merion_Mom:eek: ..... or, God forbid, I should forget:eek::eek:

Sue,

Do they always remind you before final payment? I'm asking because on my las cruise I made the final payment the day before it was due (I was expecting a reminder call from Royal that day, but never got one) On all our previous cruises, we always paid in full several months before the final due date. Now, because of their new policy on price drops, I've decided to wait until the last minute. I hope there is no mistakes like what happened to Merion_Mom:eek: ..... or, God forbid, I should forget:eek::eek:

Rccl does NOT call you to remind you, though most TA's do.

Thank you Sue!:) ......I see the problem, I was mistaken thinking RC would call. Unfortunately, I don't have a TA and book directly with Royal Caribbean on line. (Sure wish I could find a TA as nice and caring as you!

Sue,

Now, because of their new policy on price drops, I've decided to wait until the last minute. :

I could be wrong, but I think with the new price drop policy, what matters is the final payment deadline, not the date YOU actually make your final payment if you do so early. i.e. if final payment is due for your cruise on June, but you go ahead and pay in full in April, I think you still have until June 1 to take advantage of any price drops. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken though.

I could be wrong, but I think with the new price drop policy, what matters is the final payment deadline, not the date YOU actually make your final payment if you do so early. i.e. if final payment is due for your cruise on June, but you go ahead and pay in full in April, I think you still have until June 1 to take advantage of any price drops. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken though.

that is exactly right

My TA subtracts 10 days from RCI's final payment date and that is the date she gives her clients. So, my final payment date is actually 10 days before RCI's due date. This gives her time get the payment to RCI on time. Most of her clients don't know about this buffer. I'm sure if they did, some of them would wait until the 10 day buffer had expired.

On my last cruise I received 3 email reminders from RCI of final payment due.

1 reminder 30 days prior, 1 reminder 9 days prior, and 1 reminder 4 days prior.

that was more likely your PVP, not a company wide action as far as I know.

"On my last cruise I received 3 email reminders from RCI of final payment due.

1 reminder 30 days prior, 1 reminder 9 days prior, and 1 reminder 4 days prior. "

I got the same thing as Florida Scorpion and I booked straight with RCI. Whatever a PVP is, I don't think I ever had one.

"On my last cruise I received 3 email reminders from RCI of final payment due.

1 reminder 30 days prior, 1 reminder 9 days prior, and 1 reminder 4 days prior. "

I got the same thing as Florida Scorpion and I booked straight with RCI. Whatever a PVP is, I don't think I ever had one.

Personal Vacation Planner

The gas company doesn't call to remind me to pay my bill. The electric company doesn't call to remind me to pay my bill. The bank doesn't call to remind me to pay my mortgage. It's just terrible that I actually have to be responsible and remember to do it all by my self!

The gas company doesn't call to remind me to pay my bill. The electric company doesn't call to remind me to pay my bill. The bank doesn't call to remind me to pay my mortgage. It's just terrible that I actually have to be responsible and remember to do it all by my self!

Yes they do! Maybe not call, but remind you each month... It is called a bill!

My TA always gives me an invoice for 10 days prior to final date for payment and let us know that upfront the first time we dealt with them. Makes great sense and peace of mind that my final payment is done on time. Knock on wood never had an issue.

You are so correct Sue that I can see where people forget when the date is due or don't have marked on calendar for payment and the next thing you know no cruise. Now I am curious as what happens to the deposits and/or payments these guests had paid and could be cancelled.

My TA always gives me an invoice for 10 days prior to final date for payment and let us know that upfront the first time we dealt with them. Makes great sense and peace of mind that my final payment is done on time. Knock on wood never had an issue.

You are so correct Sue that I can see where people forget when the date is due or don't have marked on calendar for payment and the next thing you know no cruise. Now I am curious as what happens to the deposits and/or payments these guests had paid and could be cancelled.

All the lines handle it a little differently but in general they cancel and refund the deposit but you just lost your cruise, the rate you were booked at and any add ons you had booked with it. Though some cancel the cruise, keep the deposit.

I do not sail untill May 22,2011. My bill had been paid and then came a price decress. I even got a obc for $720.00 because of that. I never wait till the end. If I don't have the money now, I never go. RCL has been good to me and so has my TA. They are the best so I make it ez for them. ;)

So well put!!!

What I find sad is how many folks think RCCL, a for profit company responsible to a board and shareholders, think RCCL should make so many exceptions and special accomodations all the time. Not going at specific folks etc...but just when you think about the various threads and all of the special exceptions folks think they should get...

I think overall most folks are responsible and get things done/pain on time which is good. However the bad apples tend to spoil the basket, or in this case the folks who don't pay up timely cause everyone to suffer when a mistake is made. If mistakes were very rare then probably the old rules could live on.

I presume Cunard and Princess are just making sure cabins are available for others ready with $$$ to pay after final payment. When I looked at their sailings for a particular week recently many of the ships were virtually full...I bet after final payment deadline there will be more cabin choices at least for a couple of days.

Archived