Sending another cruise ship(s) to transfer passengers??

manmtnmike

I think they can send another ship to get the passengers but the Splendor was fairly close to land and with its size it would have taken a rather large ship to get the job done. I know this must have been a real bummer for the folks on board but sh*t happens.

Any ideas?

Is this even a possibility...the sending of another cruise ship that has just returned, or cutting short another cruise ship's full itinerary... to meet up with the Splendor and transfer their pax?

Mike

Why would they need to disrupt thousands MORE customers when the Splendor is so close to San Diego? They are due to arrive around noon, according to news reports.

Any ideas?

Is this even a possibility...the sending of another cruise ship that has just returned, or cutting short another cruise ship's full itinerary... to meet up with the Splendor and transfer their pax?

Mike

Do you have any idea of the difficulty of the logistics and the safety issues that it would entail to transfer passengers from one ship to another while at sea?

Yeah, that was my other thought about how you would do this with people who might have mobility issues.

If it necessary to transfer passengers from one ship to another in the middle of open waters they can transfer passengers with mobility problems in life boast and transfer them this way from ship to ship. Sort of like using the life boats as you would a tender.

If this was a trans-atlantic cruise, then a transfer to a military vessle could have been worked out for a faster return. Since they were only a day away I think the choice was proper to keep them aboard.

At least everyone had a room, bed and space assigned. Distrupting a 2nd cruise ship's itinerary I believe would only be considered if there was further danger to the ship and passengers.

With the steps taken with this situation by returning to the US port, Customs should not be a factor and less hassle dealing with border crossings and transport etc.

Archived