Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

flushing toilets and telephones are not available......

no flushing toilets with over 3k passengers? I feel terrible for all those on board. Hopefully they get to Ensenada quickly.

I can deal with primitive camping, but no Chocolate Melting Cake is positively barbaric. I want compensation!

John will no doubt have a lifetime supply of potty humor after this...

Sooo sad... Couldn't imagine being one of those on board right now...

Especcially with lack of toilets and air conditioning... what kind of smell that must be. I would be tempted to hang my rear end off of the lowest balcony rather then stink up my cabin!

You're post reminds me of the "what's the air freshner for" thread...

I too can't imagine how uncomfortable those passengers must be. But happy everyone seems to be safe at least. This is so hard to read with 5 days till sailing. But I know it is so very rare to have extreme incidents as this.

Godspeed to Splendor and it's passengers!

well I just got off the phone with the person we booked the cruise with at Carnival and she knew nothing about the fire. She read me the same Carnival press release that they put out this morning as said they were still booking for next week. I'm not sure if i believe her. If the ship is sailing on our wedding day, we will be on it! She told me to call back in a few days to see if anything had change. She tried to sound like nothing major has happened. Hopefully that is the case, but I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy inside at the moment. I'll call them and the wedding coordinator DAILY for updates. Worse case, we get married at city hall and when the ship sails again we do a vow renewal with everyone who had booked with us. But still I wish the feeling that I want to throw up would go away.

OK, I know it's NOT funny and maybe I am a sicko, but I still had to stiffle a laugh when I read that 2 passengers and 1 crew member had panic attacks. **I wonder if the crew member was the Captain...or John Heald...hmmm?**

me being a panic attacks sufferer, I know for sure this is not a laughable matter.

Here is the latest post by Carnival

http://carnival-news.com/2010/11/08/status-update-on-carnival-splendor/?cid=So_Johns%20Facebook_4840

The ship is going to be tugged to Mexico for bus rides back.

This was updated at 6pm Pacific Time - 9 pm Eastern Standard Time.

They are getting "FULL REFUNDS" plus transportation costs plus future cruise credits equal to this cruise!

Update on Carnival Splendor

Posted on 08 November 2010

Currently several key hotel systems, including air conditioning, hot food service, flushing toilets and telephones are not available. The ship’s crew is actively working to restore partial services.

:eek:

Guests on the current voyage will be receiving a full refund along with reimbursement for transportation costs. Additionally, they will receive a complimentary future cruise equal to the amount paid for this voyage.

I feel so badly for everyone on this cruise, yet thankful there were no injuries. I also think Carnival is doing the right thing compensation-wise. I cannot even imagine. :(

Booked for the 21st and am feeling a bit of disappointment but still holding out hope.

I am just hoping that a decision for the upcoming cruises happens sooner rather than later so we have at least a few days to try and get a back up plan together.

This will be eally tough on us as we used a huge chunk of gift certificates to make this reservation and will probably not be able to replace the vacation with an alternative given the short notice.

Still glad everyone is OK and that there were no injuries.

this is so crazy and scary I feel real bad for all the people on board. I leave on sat for my cruise and this whole situation kinda scares me. My mom and I dont have a passport-was planning on getting one but ran out of money since I am paying for everything. I had never thought about what would happen if your ship broke down in another country. I will definatly be getting a passport for future cruises as soon as I have some more funds.

Update on Carnival Splendor

Posted on 08 November 2010

Miami, FL — November 8, 2010 (9 pm EST) — At approximately 6 am this morning (U.S. Pacific Standard Time), a fire was detected in the aft engine room aboard the cruise ship Carnival Splendor. The fire has been extinguished. There were no injuries to guests or crew.

The ship has been operating on auxiliary generators throughout the day and engineers have been unable to restore additional power to the vessel. As a result, the current voyage is being terminated. Tugboats are currently en route to the ship which is located off the coast of Mexico, approximately 150 miles south of San Diego. The tugs will tow the vessel to Ensenada, Mexico in an effort to get the guests home as quickly as possible.

Currently several key hotel systems, including air conditioning, hot food service, flushing toilets and telephones are not available. The ship’s crew is actively working to restore partial services.

Regular announcements apprising guests of the situation began at approximately 6.30 am. Guests were initially asked to move from their cabins to the ship’s upper open deck areas. At this time, guests have access to their cabins and are able to move about the ship. Bottled water and cold food items are being provided.

The vessel’s command is in contact with the U.S. Coast Guard which has deployed aircraft and cutters to the cruise ship’s location.

Guests on the current voyage will be receiving a full refund along with reimbursement for transportation costs. Additionally, they will receive a complimentary future cruise equal to the amount paid for this voyage.

“We know this has been an extremely trying situation for our guests and we sincerely thank them for their patience. Conditions on board the ship are very challenging and we sincerely apologize for the discomfort and inconvenience our guests are currently enduring. The safety of our passengers and crew is our top priority and we are working to get our guests home as quickly as possible,” said Gerry Cahill, president and CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines.

Carnival Splendor was on the first leg of a seven-day Mexican Riviera cruise that departed yesterday, Nov. 7, from Long Beach, Calif. Today was a scheduled day at sea. The ship’s normal itinerary includes stops in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. The ship, which measures 113,000 gross registered tons and first entered service in July 2008, is carrying 3,299 guests and 1167 crew.

Media contact information: 305-406-5464 or Media@carnival.com

Contact information for family members: 1-888-290-5095 or 305-406-5534

I am glad to hear all onboard are safe however I can't help but compare this situation to the cancellation last month of the Celebrity Century mid cruise. Kudos to Carnival for being very clear on their plans within hours of the cancellation regarding full cruise refund, free additional cruise and covering transportation costs. While the two situations are different, they are also very similar as they are both cancellations of cruises early in the voyage resulting in a large volume of people to assist in making alternate arrangements home.

Hopefully Carnival will do a much better job of assisting the passengers with travel arrangements than it appears happened with Celebrity. If you want to read how not to handle a situation like this (with over 76,000 views to date), the link is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1292056

It has been almost a month since the Century cancellation and passengers are still not sure as to what they will be reimbursed.

Here is hoping all onboard return home quickly and safely!

I'm booked on a B2B on the Splendor starting the end of Feb. I'll be keeping a close eye out for price drops! ;)

Good idea - that may be a little late for the real fire sale prices. I wouldn't mind a cruise between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Once the real extent of damage is known and estimated time for repair, I'll start looking, too.

It's in the cruise contract that fires happen and we may be dead in the water but no refunds!

Actually, I would think Carnival would at least refund the cost of the cruise. The passengers didn't get what they bargained for. This isn't like missing a port due to a storm.

And I think Carnival should think about 50% off their next cruise in addition to the full refund.

Carnival is issuing the passengers a full refund plus a future cruise credit ...

http://carnival-news.com/2010/11/08/status-update-on-carnival-splendor/

Looks like there will be some passport issues.

I suspect that Carnival is already working with US officials to take care of those guests that would not normally be allowed to do a land crossing into the US (i.e. those sailing using birth certificates and not passports), possibly using sealed buses from the ship to cross the board with preapproval, etc. One hopes that the US government will be rational and reasonable in this situation (while realizing that rational and reasonable usually aren't terms that can be applied to the US government).

well I just got off the phone with the person we booked the cruise with at Carnival and she knew nothing about the fire. She read me the same Carnival press release that they put out this morning as said they were still booking for next week. I'm not sure if i believe her. If the ship is sailing on our wedding day, we will be on it! She told me to call back in a few days to see if anything had change. She tried to sound like nothing major has happened. Hopefully that is the case, but I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy inside at the moment. I'll call them and the wedding coordinator DAILY for updates. Worse case, we get married at city hall and when the ship sails again we do a vow renewal with everyone who had booked with us. But still I wish the feeling that I want to throw up would go away.

Maybe you could do a Disneyland wedding since you were going to be in the area already.

Actually, I would think Carnival would at least refund the cost of the cruise. The passengers didn't get what they bargained for. This isn't like missing a port due to a storm.

And I think Carnival should think about 50% off their next cruise in addition to the full refund.

anything else ? :rolleyes:

My very first Cruise in 2002 on the Triumph, we were in port and I was coming out of my cabin and came face to face with 5 guys in full turn out gear moving quickly down our hall way. I ask the last one if there was something I needed to know. He shook his head No. They were doing a fire drill for the crew. I felt a lot safer knowing they were prepared. Being in EMS myself, training for the unexpected is so important. My hats off to the Carnival crew for keeping the fire contained & keeping the passengers safe. As inconvenient as this is for everyone, passengers and crew, I hope they all are grateful that they are all safe and will have quite the stories to tell. Make the best of a bad situation & don't give the crew more grief than they already have.

Good time to sit around and plan your next cruise.

Hope you are all home safely, very soon.

I suspect that Carnival is already working with US officials to take care of those guests that would not normally be allowed to do a land crossing into the US (i.e. those sailing using birth certificates and not passports), possibly using sealed buses from the ship to cross the board with preapproval, etc. One hopes that the US government will be rational and reasonable in this situation (while realizing that rational and reasonable usually aren't terms that can be applied to the US government).

nor the Mexican government...

Archived