Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Does anyone know how long ships go into dry dock for after a fire engine? My wedding is 40 days from today...on board the Splendor. We booked an on board wedding so there would be no missed ports in case of bad weather or something. I don't have a plan B. I called Carnival and they had very little information or direction for me to go in. I can understand as I'm sure they aren't sure what is going on the ship and don't have any answers yet. Any ideas on how much time before they start cancelling/postponing cruises? As a previous poster said, they have pulled the next to cruises off the carnival website. I'm happy that no injuries have been reported, but I'm going to play the anxious/nervous bride card as this has been a long time in planning

Whatever the problem is I suspect that Splendor will need to be docked (maybe drydocked), repaired and recertified in some way. As others have said, a fire at sea is a big deal. I would not be surprised to see her out of commission for several weeks. I suspect that the length of the repair might depend on the parts that need replacement and whether they need to be manufactured. We sail on her in late March. I'm not going to worry about that but if I were on her for Thanksgiving I'd feel differently.

Best wishes to all at sea aboard her right now. Ruined vacation is one thing (and Carnival will make it right), safety is another.

Best wishes to all at sea aboard her right now. Ruined vacation is one thing (and Carnival will make it right), safety is another.

I'm sure it was quite traumatic for some, getting shook out of bed at 6 in the morning and being told to go topside.

Does anyone know how long ships go into dry dock for after a fire engine? My wedding is 40 days from today...on board the Splendor. We booked an on board wedding so there would be no missed ports in case of bad weather or something. I don't have a plan B. I called Carnival and they had very little information or direction for me to go in. I can understand as I'm sure they aren't sure what is going on the ship and don't have any answers yet. Any ideas on how much time before they start cancelling/postponing cruises? As a previous poster said, they have pulled the next to cruises off the carnival website. I'm happy that no injuries have been reported, but I'm going to play the anxious/nervous bride card as this has been a long time in planning

No one knows for sure at this point as it depends on the extent of the damage. I see the next 2 or 3 cruises are no longer listed on travel agents websites at this point. Could be a few weeks, could be much longer, time will tell.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but right now I think all you can do is wait. No one knows how long the ship will be out until the damage can be evaluated.

I'm pretty sure the next 2 weeks are goners, though. :( Sucks for Carnival to have to pull a ship during Thanksgiving.

Keep your fingers crossed! You do have one thing on your side - Carnival won't keep that ship out a minute longer than they have to. They will want it back in the water as much as you do.

CARNIVAL SPLENDOR – UPDATE #2

Miami, FL -- November 8, 2010 (4.30 pm EST) -- At approximately 6 am this morning (U.S. Pacific Standard Time), a fire was detected in the aft engine room aboard the cruise ship Carnival Splendor. The fire has been extinguished. No injuries to guests or crew have been reported.

Currently the ship is operating on emergency generators and the ship’s crew is working to restore power to the vessel. The decision has been made to terminate the voyage. If power is restored, the ship will return to its homeport of Long Beach, Calif. under its own power. However, arrangements for tugboats have been made so that, in the event power is not restored, the ship will be returned to a port with tugboat assistance.

Regular announcements apprising guests of the situation began at approximately 6.30 am. Guests were initially asked to move from their cabins to the ship’s upper open deck areas. At this time, guests have access to their cabins, as well. Guests are being provided with bottled water and food items.

Currently, the vessel is located approximately 55 miles west of Punta San Jacinto, Mexico and sea conditions are calm. The vessel’s command is in contact with the U.S. Coast Guard which has deployed an aircraft and a cutter to the cruise ship’s location.

Carnival Splendor was on the first leg of a seven-day Mexican Riviera cruise that departed yesterday, Nov. 7, from Long Beach, Calif. Today was a scheduled day at sea. The ship’s normal itinerary includes stops in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. The ship, which measures 113,000 gross registered tons and first entered service in July 2008, is carrying 3,299 guests and 1167 crew.

I'm sure it was quite traumatic for some, getting shook out of bed at 6 in the morning and being told to go topside.

That's why the muster station safety briefing is important. I'd be shook up if the alarm went off and was told we had fire at sea.

The passengers and crew have been very fortunate thus far inasmuch as one report said that the fire reflashed after the fire had been extinguished. This kind of a situation happened on the old Prinsendam in 1980 and HAL lost the ship. Passengers and crew had to abandon the ship in the Gulf of Alaska. All were saved.

My thoughts and prayers are for those aboard and for the firemen who are working to prevent any more damage to the vessel.

UPDATE: Carnival says in an updated statement that a decision has been made to terminate the voyage.

"If power is restored, the ship will return to its homeport of Long Beach, Calif. under its own power. However, arrangements for tugboats have been made so that, in the event power is not restored, the ship will be returned to a port with tugboat assistance."

The cruise line also says guests are being given access to their cabins.

I might cry.

Which is totally not helpful. But its all I can think - I've been living and breathing this vacation since January when we booked.

I feel so bad for everyone on board, not even 12 hours into a voyage before this all starts :(

And my mini-maglite just was slid into our packed suitcase for this weekends Fascination cruise....

I can't imagine how creepy it would be, stumbling along the narrow corridors in complete blackness at 6AM. (or even with an occasional emergency light lit up.)

Bill

I think you will be fine. 40 days is a long time away. Keep thinking positive.

I might cry.

Which is totally not helpful. But its all I can think - I've been living and breathing this vacation since January when we booked.

I feel so bad for everyone on board, not even 12 hours into a voyage before this all starts :(

Don't give up hope yet. It is too early to tell. I think you will be fine also. :)

(The next two cruises are not looking good, I feel bad for all those people)

One advantage of Carnival ships is there is much in common. I would think they have a spare generator or three in stock and are probably already collecting what might be needed for repairs and will fly them to wherever the ship ends up, along with engineers and techs.

I think they can do a lot in a relatively short period of time. I don't think it took over a year to build the ship in the first place and the hull is bound to be ok.

Saw this posting on John's facebook page.

Supposingly from a Carnival Sales Rep in Long Beach

The Splendor is on its way back to Long Beach per Carnival. All the passengers are safe onboard and the vessel is in no danger at all. They are creeping along at 2 knots, so it will be a VERY long night for alot of passengers.

Dave

And my mini-maglite just was slid into our packed suitcase for this weekends Fascination cruise....

I can't imagine how creepy it would be, stumbling along the narrow corridors in complete blackness at 6AM. (or even with an occasional emergency light lit up.)

Bill

The halls and public areas do have emergency lighting but the cabins probably have minimal to none. The emergency lighting includes lights at floor level similar to aircraft which illuminate every step you might take.

If the ship is moving under its own power, then they must have gotten at least one of the main generators started, so more things are probably working at least marginally.

Does anyone know how long ships go into dry dock for after a fire engine? My wedding is 40 days from today...on board the Splendor.

40 days seems like plenty of time to make a repair. Still, for peace of mind I would definitely have a plan B, and C.

Since everyone in the wedding will be coming to the port anyway, find out what beaches or public parks are available. That can be B for good weather. Plan C if it rains would be somewhere inside... maybe Carnival can provide some space in a building somewhere?

Good luck!

One advantage of Carnival ships is there is much in common. I would think they have a spare generator or three in stock and are probably already collecting what might be needed for repairs and will fly them to wherever the ship ends up, along with engineers and techs.

How many Splendor class ships are there in the fleet or worldwide? I am thinking not many.

There are already plenty of generators onboard. I know on Miracle there were six diesel generators, with three each on a separate electrical grid.

If they have both grids damaged that may explain the 2 knots. Heck, the current is probably pushing them south at that rate.

The halls and public areas do have emergency lighting but the cabins probably have minimal to none. The emergency lighting includes lights at floor level similar to aircraft which illuminate every step you might take.

If the ship is moving under its own power, then they must have gotten at least one of the main generators started, so more things are probably working at least marginally.

Don't think so it is crawling @ 2 knots. Minimal electicity at best.

Archived