Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Unless they can get some elevators working, passengers will have to carry all their luggage down the stairs and off the ship themselves when they get to port.

I would imagine that they will work once, and if, they can draw power from shore.

Many here have said thay would enjoy this adventure once they knew the ship was out of danger. As a Platinum cruiser I may too. But if the Splendor does not reach port by tommorrow night my outlook would change if I was on this cruise.

I'm one of the 'would be an adventure' ones but I think I have to agree with you there. The novelty would wear off around tomorrow morning.

1) Refunds for all passengers at an average price per person of $800 equal about 4 Million dollars X 2 (free additional cruise for everyone) total 8 Million.

Average of $800 sounds way too high. The balconies are probably around that price, but the oceanviews would be less and the insides less still. Suites are more but there are only a few or them.

If you look at the prices for this same week's cruise next year on Carnival.com:

Insides from $439

Oceanviews from $539

Balconies from $659

Suites from $1089

Now, some will pay more than the lowest price in that category, and most will book much less than a year out so prices might go higher, but I'd guess at worst the average price would be $700, and probably more likely in the $600-$650 per person range.

Totally agree.

I just can't picture this situation being anything but a nightmare.

A nightmare??? really???? sorry, I disagree....

A nightmare is the death of someone you love.....this is an inconvenience...albeit a major one.

I have been on a cruise ship with no toilet for a day...it was no nightmare....

I have been on a cruise ship that was "adrift"....it was no nightmare.

The passengers knew quickly that they were not in any danger....

the rest of the inconvenience is what "travelers" deal with all the time in some form or another.

You are comparing being in your own house without power compared to being on a ship without power with around 3,000 people:confused: Not to mention as some had already posted the wonderful ride home thru the border:D

Oh, I know. That's like comparing oranges to grapes.

I'm one of the 'would be an adventure' ones but I think I have to agree with you there. The novelty would wear off around tomorrow morning.

Having lived for over 2 weeks with none of "life's necessities" thanks to a hurricane...it would take a lot longer than a couple of days for this to ruffle my feathers......

wow this thread has really taken off.

At least no one got hurt.

They still have a ways to go before getting back to shore. It is going to be a sucky trip. :(

LHP it would be like glorified camping. Just hope their toliets are working.

Not Baja, but

An American college student majoring in business was shot to death in

Ciudad Juarez, becoming the fifth U.S. citizen to be killed in the violent border city in less than a week.

Juarez is across the boarder from El Paso, TX and has been on the "do not visit" list for a while now. No where near Baja. You here about Juarez all the time in the news rarely hear anything about the Baja area for Cartel issues or problems.

I know I sure don't. After reading posts where even very knowledgeable and experienced cruisers argue vehemently with each other about all the finer points of the laws, I completely gave up trying to understand. :o There was a thread about back to back cruises involving Alaska, Canada, and the US mainland where people were literally cyber screaming at each other, telling each other that THEY were right and everyone else was WRONG. I never did hear about the outcome, and there sure wasn't anyone who came on CC later to admit they were wrong.;)

If you are referring to this thread ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1001020&highlight=pvsa

Then go to post # 205 ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1001020&highlight=pvsa&page=11

A nightmare is the death of someone you love.....this is an inconvenience...albeit a major one.

the rest of the inconvenience is what "travelers" deal with all the time in some form or another.

I agree, major PITA - yes. But my loved ones & I and the other passengers are safe so, nightmare - no.

Juarez is across the boarder from El Paso, TX and has been on the "do not visit" list for a while now. No where near Baja. You here about Juarez all the time in the news rarely hear anything about the Baja area for Cartel issues or problems.

The ride from SanDiego to Ensenda, and vice versa, is a beautiful one. Have done it my bus, and drove it in my younger years.

This is silly. I live 45 minutes north of Ensenada and there has been little or no cartel violence in northern Baja, except in Tijuana. Further, the cartels are fighting against each other for control, not terrorism! No tourists or foreign residents have been affected at all. Ever.

Ensenada has a nice port; it is the jump off port for a Carnival RT to Hawaii. To do that, they bus passengers back and forth from San Diego... happens all the time. This is a bonanza for the charter companies, who will take passengers from Ensenada, along the beautiful Pacific Ocean coastal highway in northern Baja back to Long Beach.

and its only about 60 miles or less from Ensanada to the border. I don't think they are dropping them at the border. They should drive them right into Long Beach. That's where everyones cars are. Yeck they could just drive into Aneheim and go to Disneyland. So there vacations aren't ruined. Thats what I would do!:)

My friend and I had a blast and we wanted to stay longer on the ship. There was a lady who said she wanted to cruise again this week on the ship. She was waiting to see if she could book a cabin for this week. I hope she didn't because of the fire.

It was weird that my friend and I said to eachother, "What if something happens and the ship loses power and we have to stay another day on the ship". "WHEW".... We were lucky it didn't happen to us.

Regarding weird things happening on the ship: "STUFF HAPPENS" on all ships. During our week on the Splendor.... One crew worker got so ill that the ship had to call a helicopter to take the man to the hospital. The man was told that he could never work again on the ship because he had a serious illness.

On another day a lady fell down the stairs and the ship had to stop and get her on a boat to take her to land to fix her broken leg.

A 18year old girl was dancing by herself in a small nightclub and she was stinking drunk. A man was stalking her. My friend and I decided to take her to the Piano Bar to sit with us so the man couldn't get to her. We decided to keep an eye on her. Lucky her aunt showed up and took her with her real fast. She must have thought I was gay and trying to pick up on her neice. She gave me a dirty look and walked away. I felt bad about that but at least my friend and I saved her from the stalker who wanted to take advantage of the young girl.

I am a chubby senior and I was sitting in a lounge area and a younger handsome mature man wanted to have kinky sex with me. I was so shocked that I told him I was not interested in him and I walked away from him.

On another day I saw him massaging some old lady's feet and legs at that lounge area.

I got into a scream fest fight with a Matzatlan jewelry salesman because he wanted to sell my friend a pair of used fake ear-rings for $100. I cussed him out like a sailor because he kept verbally harrassing me. I decided to go back to the safety of the ship. I was in a foreign country.

Many things can happen on ships and in the ports.

Ensenada, Mexico is 100% prepared to take the cruisers from the Splendor this week all the way to the LAX airport. They have tons of air-conditioned buses. They have years of experience since the 1970's.

I truly feel sorry for the passengers who packed lots of luggage for their cruise.

I have a feeling that first time cruisers will never cruise again.

I feel so sorry for those cruisers. I feel sorry for John too.

How do you think they'll be handling all those passengers crossing the border with only birth certificates? This is one situation it pays to have a passport.

One thing Homeland Security doesn't make public knowledge of is, you don't legally need documentation to cross INTO the US if you're a US citizen. You can be prevented from leaving the country but not from coming in. A land crossing makes this much easier and the agents will work with you to help establish your identy.

Excuse me???? Am I not allowed to have my own opinion?!?!?! Geezus

I would call a death of someone I love freaking catastrophic.

Does anyone else find it strange that not one passenger has been able to make contact with the real world?

Nowadays with global phones, etc. it is somewhat of a surprise to me. Do you think Carnival can restrict the communications coming off the ship including phone and internet? It seems to me that people have there own mobile networks they travel with and can communicate at any time.

I find it even more surprising that one of our CC members hasnt made it online somehow to post their review at this point (lol).

Cell phones don't work 55 miles from the nearest tower, and I doubt that Carnival is powering its cell phone tower while running on emergency power. So that just leaves satellite phones. Do you have one? Do you know anyone that does? If so, are they on a cruise this week?

Made it online to post a review - with no electricity?? Do you really think Carnival is going to use emergency power to power the computers???

Cell phones don't work 55 miles from the nearest tower, and I doubt that Carnival is powering its cell phone tower while running on emergency power. So that just leaves satellite phones. Do you have one? Do you know anyone that does? If so, are they on a cruise this week?

Well I guess I am another (@*&^(*%&^*% idiot posting questions on a message board....Thank you for all of your infinite wisdom.

Archived