19 Nov Diamond Princess - Emergency Notification Urgent Email

CPOCMAN

I just received an email from Princess Cruises titled above - it has a copy of what appears to be a summary of our cruise from Beijing to Singapore that leaves next Friday on their letterhead - 19 November and the address was from reservations@princesscruises.com. Looking at the narrative, the only thing there reads:

CHINA VISA REMINDER

A double-entry visa is required for all passengers sailing on this cruise. This visa must be obtained in advance of your cruise and cannot be obtained upon arrival. This visa is required regardless if you choose to remain onboard or go ashore. If you have not already obtained a double-entry visa or have obtained only a single-entry visa, please contact the nearest Chinese consulate or Zierer Visa Service at 866-788-1100 (within the U.S.) or 888-665-9956 (within Canada) or visit them at http://www.zvs.com/home.aspx?login=75009 to obtain this visa.

Failure to present required travel documents, visas or vaccination certificates at cruise check-in will result in denial of boarding without refund of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

This was something that we were told when we first booked so I don't know what the Emergency Notification is. I was thinking that maybe, this is something that Princess sends out 1 week before sailing. Thought I'd check with others on the board if this is something new that Princess does to remind you about your cruise, the itinerary and the visa requirements.

Looks like email is dated on Veteran's day at 1600 hrs - not sure of the time zone.

Appreciate knowing if anyone has ever experienced something like this and what it meant?

The 'emergency' is -

Some people will show up at embarkation with only a singe-entry Chinese Visa because they didn't read everything carefully. They'll be denied boarding and start to scream 'bloody murder' - blaming everyone but themselves. It happens every time!

It's amazing what people don't read or think applies to them. I was on a cruise embarking in Manaus, Brazil several years ago and when we got to the pre-cruise hotel in FLL for the Princess flights to Manaus the next day, we were checked in for our flight and cruise at the hotel. At least a dozen people didn't have a valid Brazilian visa and had to be rushed to Miami the next morning to the Brazilian Embassy to see if they could get a visa. Have no idea whether they ever made the cruise and I'm pretty sure they had to have missed the charter flights. Very expensive mistake.

This was something that we were told when we first booked so I don't know what the Emergency Notification is.

Princess once sent us an "emergency notification" that basically

said sometime in the future, passports might be required.

I guess their mom never read them "Chicken Little"...

It's amazing what people don't read or think applies to them. I was on a cruise embarking in Manaus, Brazil several years ago and when we got to the pre-cruise hotel in FLL for the Princess flights to Manaus the next day, we were checked in for our flight and cruise at the hotel. At least a dozen people didn't have a valid Brazilian visa and had to be rushed to Miami the next morning to the Brazilian Embassy to see if they could get a visa. Have no idea whether they ever made the cruise and I'm pretty sure they had to have missed the charter flights. Very expensive mistake.
I'll add to this. On the Grand Princess 3 Continents TA trip (Venice to Ft Lauderdale) a few years Ago folks were put off the ship in the port of Senegal Africa that did not have a valid Brazil visa.

I just received an email from Princess Cruises titled above - it has a copy of what appears to be a summary of our cruise from Beijing to Singapore that leaves next Friday on their letterhead - 19 November and the address was from reservations@princesscruises.com. Looking at the narrative, the only thing there reads:

CHINA VISA REMINDER

A double-entry visa is required for all passengers sailing on this cruise. This visa must be obtained in advance of your cruise and cannot be obtained upon arrival. This visa is required regardless if you choose to remain onboard or go ashore. If you have not already obtained a double-entry visa or have obtained only a single-entry visa, please contact the nearest Chinese consulate or Zierer Visa Service at 866-788-1100 (within the U.S.) or 888-665-9956 (within Canada) or visit them at http://www.zvs.com/home.aspx?login=75009 to obtain this visa.

Failure to present required travel documents, visas or vaccination certificates at cruise check-in will result in denial of boarding without refund of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

This was something that we were told when we first booked so I don't know what the Emergency Notification is. I was thinking that maybe, this is something that Princess sends out 1 week before sailing. Thought I'd check with others on the board if this is something new that Princess does to remind you about your cruise, the itinerary and the visa requirements.

Looks like email is dated on Veteran's day at 1600 hrs - not sure of the time zone.

Appreciate knowing if anyone has ever experienced something like this and what it meant?

It means just what is says. If you are booked on this cruise and you show up to board without a double-entry visa for China, you will be denied boarding. You will not get a refund. Insurance will not cover any oexpense.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all...

While I'm aware of the visa issue...I'm trying to run down if we need any specific proof of vaccinations. I've looked at the Princess site, as well as the CDC site, but I can't find anything that states whether we'll need to bring proof?

It seems unlikely...but I figure best to ask and know for sure.

Thanks,

ChazDawg

Hello all...

While I'm aware of the visa issue...I'm trying to run down if we need any specific proof of vaccinations. I've looked at the Princess site, as well as the CDC site, but I can't find anything that states whether we'll need to bring proof?

It seems unlikely...but I figure best to ask and know for sure.

Thanks,

ChazDawg

Unless the rules change by than, none are required by the cruiseline. You can get some if you want.

An observation: we used Zierer and, instead of a double-entry visa, they got us a 12 month multiple entry visa. I believe it was the same cost.

Came in useful as we had to push our cruise back by 6 months due to a work conflict.

jdg

An observation: we used Zierer and, instead of a double-entry visa, they got us a 12 month multiple entry visa. I believe it was the same cost.

Came in useful as we had to push our cruise back by 6 months due to a work conflict.

jdg

Probably the best suggestion one could get. On our recent trip we got into Hong Kong early (No China visa needed in advance) but decided since we had a few extra days, to take an early trip into China. With a double entry visa we would have been out of luck-With mutiple entry visa; no problems. Yes; the price and turnaround time is the same

Archived