My detailed Alaska trip report

CruisingGoddess

You know as I get older and my Dad put off retirement a year so he was only retired a 1 1/2 years instead of 2 1/2 when we lost him to cancer, my philosophy is leaning towards, do what you can, when you can, because no one is guaranteed tomorrow.

You can save but at the same time you need to enjoy life too.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thanks, Susan. I'm sorry about your dad. Stories like that definitely makes me rethink my priorities in life. :(

Thanks, Susan. I'm sorry about your dad. Stories like that definitely makes me rethink my priorities in life. :(

The good thing is that the whole family (I live rather north :D, they live in Southern Illinois) had started doing family vacations together in 2000. The last one we had was in 2002 and we did Maui and he had such a good time that we was saving for us to go back.

Fortunately too, he and Mom and been up here for about 4 weeks or so before they went home and he was diagnosed. About a month and a half after that we lost him. Horrible to have lost him, but in a way the way that he went so quickly, and the ability for him to really have enjoyed life to the end.

Took my Mom years to get him on a cruise (he always wanted to go to Vegas), but once he did, he found that he really liked it and they were able to cruise 4 times just themselves and twice with the 4 of us together.

Last time we cruised, Mom and I were doing something, and I made the comment wouldn't Dad just have loved this, and she said, you know she had been thinking the same thing.

I know money is nice, but it ain't everything!

Every day I wish my dad were with me to enjoy trips. Now we take mom whenever we can! You can't take it with you when you are gone.

My sister and I's philosophy is, we'd rather enjoy the money with Mom then without her, so let's plan another trip :D

That is cool that you were on Suze Orman's show. Wish I would have seen it. 55 is too young to retire anyway. Enjoy life while you are young and healthy enough to do so. DH and I try to strike a balance between vacationing and saving for retirement.

Hi Rebecca,

I was wondering where you did your shopping for the trip and now I know. Thanks for all the information and details! You should be a travel writer or consultant!

I still see snow in Frisco. I'm ready for warmer weather!

Have a good weekend!

Patti

Thanks for your reports and pictures, cruisinggoddess. I have them bookmarked in my favorites for later reference as we plan our first Alaskan cruise this summer.

I have about 15-20 episodes of Suze Orman DVR'd. Which episode/date were you on? Would love to see it!

Jeana

Thanks for your reports and pictures, cruisinggoddess. I have them bookmarked in my favorites for later reference as we plan our first Alaskan cruise this summer.

I have about 15-20 episodes of Suze Orman DVR'd. Which episode/date were you on? Would love to see it!

Jeana

Jeana - Glad you enjoyed my blog!! I was on the episode that aired on 12/18.

Great write-up CruisingGoddess!!! I loved the details!!

You're welcome!!

Hi Rebecca,

I was wondering where you did your shopping for the trip and now I know. Thanks for all the information and details! You should be a travel writer or consultant!

I still see snow in Frisco. I'm ready for warmer weather!

Have a good weekend!

Patti

Patti - There was still snow on the ground when we left Friday night for the long weekend. It's all gone when we got back yesterday. It's nice the temps are a bit warmer too!! We visited to Oklahoma over weekend and it's still in the low 30's there!

Hi Rebecca,

Watched your Suze Orman segment online. You may also be interested in personal finance information by Dave Ramsey. I took his Financial Peace University "class" and it is very beneficial. You can probably find a class in your area if you are interested.

Nice weather today but "winter" is coming back tomorrow. We'll enjoy the sun while we have it!

Patti

You have been so much help to me! I've printed out all your reviews and having my husband read them! We're booked for the Chilkook 7.50 tour and also with Island Wings! I'd love it if you should send your link from your tv apperance so let me know where to look. I'd love to see it. -- Enjoy Life!

You have been so much help to me! I've printed out all your reviews and having my husband read them! We're booked for the Chilkook 7.50 tour and also with Island Wings! I'd love it if you should send your link from your tv apperance so let me know where to look. I'd love to see it. -- Enjoy Life!

I'd rather not post the link but I don't mind e-mailing it to you. Send me an e-mail (link in my signature)!

Hi Rebecca,

I also see where Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University is now offered online. His videos were always good and he covers many aspects of personal finance.

I do have a Caribbean cruise booked on Royal Caribbean but it's for next winter. Gives me something to anticipate!

Have a good weekend!

Patti

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Rebecca,

I also see where Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University is now offered online. His videos were always good and he covers many aspects of personal finance.

I do have a Caribbean cruise booked on Royal Caribbean but it's for next winter. Gives me something to anticipate!

Have a good weekend!

Patti

Which ship are you booked on? We are sailing Allure of the Seas in November. It can't come fast enough!!

Hi Rebecca,

I'm going out of Galveston in December. That Caribbean cruise is really sounding good today with all of our cold weather. I was looking at Belize excursions earlier.

I'm contemplating going back to work tomorrow. How are the roads in Frisco?

I had to laugh earlier this afternoon. I looked out my front window and the mail truck was perpendicular across the street. I think he had more trouble than anyone else in my neighborhood.

Stay warm!

Patti

Hi Rebecca,

I'm going out of Galveston in December. That Caribbean cruise is really sounding good today with all of our cold weather. I was looking at Belize excursions earlier.

I'm contemplating going back to work tomorrow. How are the roads in Frisco?

I had to laugh earlier this afternoon. I looked out my front window and the mail truck was perpendicular across the street. I think he had more trouble than anyone else in my neighborhood.

Stay warm!

Patti

I lucked out. I'm actually in Los Angeles this week for work and it's 62 here! Hubby has been working from home the last two days because the roads are iced over so it's not pretty! He went to get dinner last night and his car slid sideways!! :eek:

Hi again, Rebecca!

Channel 5 just showed pictures of kids playing ice hocky on their street in Frisco. Doesn't look good out there.

I guess you heard about the rolling black-outs. My electricity was out 4 times before 1 p.m. today.

Bring some sunshine back from CA!

Patti

Thanks so much for sharing your blog and photos. I've really enjoyed reading them. I'm in north tx too! Not to far from you at all.

Well, hello, neighbor!! :D Becoming & themerle - Not sure if you know about this already but there is a DFW thread in the Floataway Lounge forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44223

They keep talking about doing a meetup but it hasn't happened yet. Hopefully someday!!

Glad my blog was helpful!! Feel free to let me know if you have questions while planning your Alaska trip!

Hi Rebecca,

After cruising on the Island Princess, what's your input for the best deck and which side of the ship is best for seeing the most in ports and at sea?

Thanks for your response!

Now we are having spring in February. Sure feels goods!

Patti

Archived