My detailed Alaska trip report

CruisingGoddess

Out of the cruises that we've taken already, the have all been to the Caribbean or Bermuda. We also have two more planned for this summer.

We've always wanted to take an Alaskan cruise but being on the East coast, it's not always the easiest thing to do plus I am NOT a good flyer. It terrifies me. I have flown before but only down to Orlando and that's only about a 2 1/2-3 hr flight from us.

But the hubby and I have been talking about taking the Alaskan cruise for our 25th anniversary (still 6 years away!!!) LOL But I have to say, now that I'm starting to "pre-plan" this Alaska trip, reading your trip report was delightful. I truly enjoyed it. And after seeing your photos, I have to say that I'm definately going to TRY to get over my fear of flying JUST so I can get over to that beautiful countryside!!!! Those glaciers & mountains & wildlife OH MY!!! :D Simply breathtaking. Thank you for sharing.

Rebecca

Are you doing same cruise as last time, or another cruise itinerary?

Different. We LOVED our first Alaska cruise but wanted to visit Icy Strait Point and try Celebrity Cruises.

Last time: Island Princess southbound (Whittier, Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Vancouver)

This time: Celebrity Millennium northbound (no Glacier Bay, goes to Icy Strait Point)

Welcome Back, Rebecca! I think you're going to LOVE ISP! We did! Be sure to do a whale watching excursion there, and if in the right time frame, a bear search as well! Used Misty Bay Lodge for both last August - the whale watch was amazing - numerous instances of breaching and bubblenet feeding, we got lucky! Afterwards, I went on a bear search, and again - JACKPOT! - two bears were seen, we spent about 45 minutes at each bear, really quite close. It was just spectacular!

Rebecca - what have you planned for your trip this time? Will you be repeating anything or going/trying all new things? We're doing the same cruise with Celebrity in July, and would love to hear what you are planning.

I literally just booked 1 hour ago so I have no clue what we're doing yet. :D But generally, DH said he wants to do different things. We MAY go back to Denali after the cruise but even that is up in the air right now.

I just stumbled on your review and your GORGEOUS pics! We are taking our first Alaskan cruise this July. You have provided me with a wealth of information. I've even noted how you were dressed in various pics to give me an idea of what kind of weather to expect and clothes we might need. Since I'm from Texas its real hard for me to imagine July being anything thing but VERY hot! :)

I also stumbled on your pictures of your POA experience. We'll be doing that cruise in June 2013, so I feel like I've found a gold mine!

THANKS!

I love a great trip report and yours is definitely GREAT so many thanks!!

I just stumbled on your review and your GORGEOUS pics! We are taking our first Alaskan cruise this July. You have provided me with a wealth of information. I've even noted how you were dressed in various pics to give me an idea of what kind of weather to expect and clothes we might need. Since I'm from Texas its real hard for me to imagine July being anything thing but VERY hot! :)

I also stumbled on your pictures of your POA experience. We'll be doing that cruise in June 2013, so I feel like I've found a gold mine!

THANKS!

I love a great trip report and yours is definitely GREAT so many thanks!!

I'm also from Texas so you'll just love bragging about how cool you were while everyone at home is suffering! :D Definitely let me know if you have questions about either cruise! They were both wonderful.

Just found your trip review/blog...LOVE IT...thanks for all your hard work sharing this information...we are going to Alaska in May and I loved reading about your trip!!

Thanks again!!!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Hi Rebecca,

I'm glad your "fame" lives on! And your fans follow you!

I enjoyed meeting you back in January.

I'm still thinking Alaska, maybe 2014???

Enjoy our great Dallas weather today!

Patti

Patti: It was so good to meet you in person. I'm so sorry I haven't responded to your e-mail. I still have it sitting in my Inbox. I got back from London & Paris a few weeks ago and it's been non-stop since. Now I'm sick of course! Anyway, the weather has been so nice lately!

And yes, you NEED to go to Alaska!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rebecca,

I happened upon your fantastic Alaska review and pictures today, and I thoroughly enjoyed it all!!! Even got DH to move away from the TV to look at your pictures. LOL

I am determined to go to Alaska for our next trip - probably August 2013. Our first cruise was with Disney (we love Disney World, too), but last 4 cruises have been with Princess in Caribbean.

We will go with Princess to Alaska...I would like to do the cruisetour from Fairbanks, 2 nights in Princess Wilderness and Mt. McKinley and the cruise on the Sapphire. This will be a dream trip for me, and your information has been invaluable!!

We typically book independent excursions when in the Caribbean (with a few Princess excursions). The Eielson shuttle in Denali looks great (we love seeing wildlife), as well as the White Pass and Yukon RR in Skagway.

So glad this thread is "still alive" and thanks for your hard work in putting it all together.

Happy cruising!!

Patty in NJ

Hey Rebecca!

Did you ever get your second trip to Hawaii written? I would love to read it as we'll be heading there on the POA in June of 2013! :D

Ugh. I haven't. I haven't even uploading the photos from that trip yet. :( I've just been too busy moving on to planning the next trip. We got back from POA in September and I immediately started planning a trip to the Everglades in November followed by a New Year's trip to Las Vegas, then a trip to London & Paris in March. Now, I'm planning this Alaska cruise. I'm hoping I'll have some breathing room in between soon. :eek:

In the meantime, our Alaska plans are coming together. We are planning to take a Kenai Fjords cruise after disembarking the Celebrity Millenniumm and then drive to Homer, where we'll spend 3 nights before flying home. Plan to do some bear viewing and halibut fishing in Homer while we're there but nothing is booked yet, except our hotel and car rental.

Excursions I'm leaning towards...

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords flightseeing

Juneau: glacier trek, shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier

Icy Strait Point: bear viewing & whale watching

Skagway: Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

I'd like to add kayaking also but not sure where yet. :D

Ugh. I haven't. I haven't even uploading the photos from that trip yet. :( I've just been too busy moving on to planning the next trip. We got back from POA in September and I immediately started planning a trip to the Everglades in November followed by a New Year's trip to Las Vegas, then a trip to London & Paris in March. Now, I'm planning this Alaska cruise. I'm hoping I'll have some breathing room in between soon. :eek:

Wow! You don't cruise for a living by chance do you? LOL! You are one lucky lady to have so many cruises to plan! I happen to love the planning portion almost as much as the actual trip! I won't get into serious Hawaii planning mode until after Alaska anyway, so maybe by then you'll have your trip report done? <hint, hint> :D

In the meantime, our Alaska plans are coming together. We are planning to take a Kenai Fjords cruise after disembarking the Celebrity Millenniumm and then drive to Homer, where we'll spend 3 nights before flying home. Plan to do some bear viewing and halibut fishing in Homer while we're there but nothing is booked yet, except our hotel and car rental.

Excursions I'm leaning towards...

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords flightseeing

Juneau: glacier trek, shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier

Icy Strait Point: bear viewing & whale watching

Skagway: Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

I'd like to add kayaking also but not sure where yet. :D

We too are doing Misty Fjords Flightseeing. We are so excited about it and can't wait!! I'll look forward to reading your Alaska trip report and seeing your pics! Have fun!:)

Hi Rebecca;

Your reviews and photos of your Alaska trip were great. I shared the link with many folks who are going on their first Alaska cruise with me next month.

I see that you have cruised NCL, Disney, Celebrity etc, but never on Holland America. I wondered if there was any reason for this or that the other itineraries worked out better for you.

I have done many cruises on Celebrity, Carnival etc, but did my first on Holland last month on the Eurodam in the Eastern Caribbean and had the best time. So much so that I booked them for the Alaska cruise next month.

I had heard for years that their demographic was older but I found it to be pretty much the same as the other lines I've cruised. The level of personal service however exceeded any of my prior cruises. Possibly because it is a mid sized ship (1900 passengers rather than 3,000 or more) At any rate, with all your future cruises, I'd give them a try.

Good luck and I look forward to your future reviews and magnificent pictures!

Hi Rebecca;

Your reviews and photos of your Alaska trip were great. I shared the link with many folks who are going on their first Alaska cruise with me next month.

I see that you have cruised NCL, Disney, Celebrity etc, but never on Holland America. I wondered if there was any reason for this or that the other itineraries worked out better for you.

I have done many cruises on Celebrity, Carnival etc, but did my first on Holland last month on the Eurodam in the Eastern Caribbean and had the best time. So much so that I booked them for the Alaska cruise next month.

I had heard for years that their demographic was older but I found it to be pretty much the same as the other lines I've cruised. The level of personal service however exceeded any of my prior cruises. Possibly because it is a mid sized ship (1900 passengers rather than 3,000 or more) At any rate, with all your future cruises, I'd give them a try.

Good luck and I look forward to your future reviews and magnificent pictures!

We've got nothing against HAL. We were actually considering them for 2 cruises (Alaska, Canada/New England) but we wanted to try Celebrity for Alaska and the Canada/New England HAL cruise was pricier. The 2 Caribbean cruises next year are for the ships themselves. Their itineraries seem a bit longer than other cruise lines too, which is a bit hard on our vacation schedules but I would definitely want to sail them in the future!

Archived