Feeling Slighted NCL

Randus62

We are booked on the Jaunaury 17, 2011 sailing of the Sky. We booked about 6 months ago during the promotion of being upgraded one category. We booked a category C and were upgraded to a category BC. Recently, my wife check current prices and found that the cost of Category BC is now what we paid for the categry C. Usually when you catch a price difference and call and bring it to their attention, they will give you part or all of the difference in onboard credit. Not this time, I found the operator and her supervisor to be on the rude side. I was blunty told I had two choices. One, I could pay extra and move to the next category or two, they would refund the difference and put me back in category C. It was only $103, which won't kill us, but it is the principle of it. We felt we were treated poorly and that the promotion we accepted was a sham. We also wrote a letter directly to NCL, but as of yet, has gone unanswered.

Once again, it is not the money, it is the way it was handled. We will cruise again, but odds are we will try a different company. Whiich is a shame, because they have wonderful staff on their ships.

We are booked on the Jaunaury 17, 2011 sailing of the Sky. We booked about 6 months ago during the promotion of being upgraded one category. We booked a category C and were upgraded to a category BC. Recently, my wife check current prices and found that the cost of Category BC is now what we paid for the categry C. Usually when you catch a price difference and call and bring it to their attention, they will give you part or all of the difference in onboard credit. Not this time, I found the operator and her supervisor to be on the rude side. I was blunty told I had two choices. One, I could pay extra and move to the next category or two, they would refund the difference and put me back in category C. It was only $103, which won't kill us, but it is the principle of it. We felt we were treated poorly and that the promotion we accepted was a sham. We also wrote a letter directly to NCL, but as of yet, has gone unanswered.

Once again, it is not the money, it is the way it was handled. We will cruise again, but odds are we will try a different company. Whiich is a shame, because they have wonderful staff on their ships.

Not sure I understand. You paid for a C, was upgraded to a BC, and now the price of a BC is the same as the C you paid for. I call that a wash. If the price drops even farther, I would suspect you could get a deal, but if it's even money, I don't think they owe anything more. They simply needed to drop prices to fill more cabins. Keep watching for prices to drop and maybe you can get an even better deal! Good luck!

Prices probably went down to sell open cabins. How would NCL (or anybody) make money by constant price adjusting. Your promotion was not a scam. You got a BC cabin at the C rate at the time you booked. You see many people talking about how their rates went up after the booked, but NCL does not call them and tell them they need to pay the higher rate.

When I make a large purchase I research and pay the price I am comfortable with and think is fair. Does it hurt when you purchase something and later see it for less? Yes. But that's life. Also after spending some time on the boards it seems fairly common knowledge that NCL doesn't price adjust after the final payment.

I hope you enjoy your cruise either way.

I may be misunderstanding this-

Your issue is the balcony category is the same price as the balcony category you were upgraded to? Since there is no difference in the price, what did you want them to give you? if you pay x amount and get an upgrade, then the upgraded catergory comes down to what you paid, the total amount due back to you is zero.

I may be misunderstanding this-

Your issue is the balcony category is the same price as the balcony category you were upgraded to? Since there is no difference in the price, what did you want them to give you? if you pay x amount and get an upgrade, then the upgraded catergory comes down to what you paid, the total amount due back to you is zero.

Well, I think theoretically one could say they paid the price for the upgraded room (new price) and would be entitled to an upgrade to the next highest cabin from where they are now. However, I agree with others. When you purchased you locked in a price and eliminated your risk of a price increase later. Similarly, with that benefit comes the chance that rates would come down if they need to fill rooms.

I understand what you are all saying. But once again, it was not the money, but the way it was handled. An explanation from them and we would have been satisfied. However, we were poorly and brushed off.

Yeah, that part kinda sucks. I've not been hearing great things about NCL customer service recently. Maybe it's just because people tend to talk about the bad stuff more than the good stuff.

We booked our room on Epic the day it went on sale for $973 for 1st 2 passengers ($249 for each of 2 kids). Recently the same rooms were going for $1,259 for 1st 2. I see just recently the room has dropped to $1,159. We are well after final payment also. :eek:

While you say it is not about the money, it was the way it was handled you have not said what customer service could have done differently to make you happy. I always try to book early in order to get the best cabin selection. If someone gets a cat gty or a cabin all the way forward for a lower fare closer to sail time I say bully for them !!

The same thing happened to me, I booked last March for sailing Oct 25, as the date grew closer, the prices dropped way down, however, if you read the fine print, if you are paid in full, the cruiseline has no obligation to adjust any monies that have been paid to upgrade or refund you any money, they can do it as a curtesy to the customer if they want or can.

I'm so glad that NCL didn't call me looking for the $1000 increase our past cruise to Hawaii had gone up before final payment and I hope they don't call for our Hawaii 2012 cruise that's already gone up $200.

NCL always reduces prices on this cruise as it's never full before final payment. It's up to you folks to do your homework and watch cruise prices. You could have waited and played the pricinig game. You got an upgrade be happy and go and enjoy your cruise.

Not sure why you feel slighted. And it definitely wasn't a sham. While it doesn't hurt to ask, most cruise lines have been enforcing their policies and refusing to offer anything when the price drops after final payment. Sometimes they will, but more and more they won't. It isn't just NCL, I've seen complaints on forums for the other lines about this as well.

And I certainly wouldn't be upset over a CSR stating something bluntly. That's not rude, they are just stating the facts, and they have a job to do. Sounds more like you just didn't like the answer and probably made things difficult for them.

I imagine it gets pretty frustrating for them when they can't accommodate this very common request and the caller doesn't want to hear no for an answer. And then to top it off, the person insists on escalating an issue like this to a supervisor, which is obviously what you did even though you were probably familiar with the terms after final payment to begin with.

Then you wrote a letter. And next you came on here to complain.

Sorry, not an NCL cheerleader, but I'm also not buying what you are saying. This definitely sounds like its about you not wanting to take no for an answer, and doing everything you can to try to get NCL to give in. My response is that you tried, got an answer you didn't like, then got unreasonable. Now it's time to get over it, get to your happy place and move on.

I understand what you are all saying. But once again, it was not the money, but the way it was handled. An explanation from them and we would have been satisfied. However, we were poorly and brushed off.

Since it's less than 75 days until sailing, didn't you already make your final payment?? When prices go down after your final payment the prices are then for 'new' bookings only. I'm sorry if they didn't explain that to you.

Not sure why you feel slighted. And it definitely wasn't a sham. While it doesn't hurt to ask, most cruise lines have been enforcing their policies and refusing to offer anything when the price drops after final payment. Sometimes they will, but more and more they won't. It isn't just NCL, I've seen complaints on forums for the other lines about this as well.

And I certainly wouldn't be upset over a CSR stating something bluntly. That's not rude, they are just stating the facts, and they have a job to do. Sounds more like you just didn't like the answer and probably made things difficult for them.

I imagine it gets pretty frustrating for them when they can't accommodate this very common request and the caller doesn't want to hear no for an answer. And then to top it off, the person insists on escalating an issue like this to a supervisor, which is obviously what you did even though you were probably familiar with the terms after final payment to begin with.

Then you wrote a letter. And next you came on here to complain.

Sorry, not an NCL cheerleader, but I'm also not buying what you are saying. This definitely sounds like its about you not wanting to take no for an answer, and doing everything you can to try to get NCL to give in. My response is that you tried, got an answer you didn't like, then got unreasonable. Now it's time to get over it, get to your happy place and move on.

You're right on. It isn't difficult to understand why cruise lines reduce prices close to sailing. They need to fill the ship. If they adjusted fares for everyone who had already booked and paid for their cruise they'd soon be out of business.

Okay, I know that once final payment is made, further price drops are for new bookings only.

So here's my question. Say I paid 349. pp for an inside. Lets say a couple of weeks before the cruise, the price drops to 299. I understand that I cannot get a refund or credit. But suppose when I booked, a balcony went for 699. And now its down to 499. Could I now upgrade for 150. pp, based on the difference of what I actually paid for my inside, and what a balcony is going for now?

If so, that is one way to secure a price and spot on a cuise, and at the same time take advantage of last minute price drops.

Okay, I know that once final payment is made, further price drops are for new bookings only.

So here's my question. Say I paid 349. pp for an inside. Lets say a couple of weeks before the cruise, the price drops to 299. I understand that I cannot get a refund or credit. But suppose when I booked, a balcony went for 699. And now its down to 499. Could I now upgrade for 150. pp, based on the difference of what I actually paid for my inside, and what a balcony is going for now?

If so, that is one way to secure a price and spot on a cuise, and at the same time take advantage of last minute price drops.

You could, but then again there maybe no balconies left to do this upsell... While the cruise lines have way too many categories for their cabins with midship and higher decks higher, the lowest balcony cabin category is the same higher deck balcony cabin, outside the aft facing cabins...

And too many are relying on their assigned cabins with guarantees too. I have booked the lowest category balcony guarantee and have ended up in a mini suit when I boarded... People cancel at the last minute for health reasons, and reading this board people upsell way too much as well, so one could end up anywhere better without even trying...

I have had good luck with NCL guarantees, more times than not I end up in a higher category... I think too many are nickel and diming NCL rather than the other way around...

Our experience has not been that. Sometimes NCL or other lines will give an OBC or upgrade if the price actually drops, but as long as the price for the cat you have is what you paid (regardless of the upgrade) you won't get anything. Just think, what if the opposite was the case, do you think you would expect them to downgrade you?

I am not trying to defend, but just trying to explain.

As for them being rude, there is no excuse for this. I had the opposite experience 2 days ago. I was making final payment on 3 reservations when I noticed the original OBC had been removed from all reservations. I asked the gal I spoke with, her name was RoseMary about this. She couldn't understand why we got the OBC to begin with. Long story, short, after being on the phone with her and her discussing this with her supervisor, they figured out the problem, we should not have gotten the credit, but they gave it to us anyway. I could not have asked for a better agent to help me.

Nita

Yeah, that part kinda sucks. I've not been hearing great things about NCL customer service recently. Maybe it's just because people tend to talk about the bad stuff more than the good stuff.

Actually I have seen an improvement in the customer service. But again, it is a matter of who you speak with and when. I know sometimes you wonder why if they give a darn and wonder how they keep their jobs?

This happens all the time. I do one of two things.....

One, I book my cruise and carefully select my cabin, one I will be happy with. Then I pay for it, all at once and be done. I don't ever check the price changes. I'm happy with what I paid and what I have and so be it. You';; probably always, always be able to find someone who got a better deal than you.

Or, I wait to book my cruise. Even on peak weeks you can almost always get a room. You have to go into this approach being less picky. If you don't get the cabin category you want that's a definate possibility but you go in feeling you have the best deal you could get.

This is bad and makes you feel scammed but I think all cruise lines operate like this. I think this is a frequent thread here and other cruise line areas.

Once you buy, they will not discount it or give you money back if there is a sale to lure new customers in.

Most important thing ever. Dont let it ruin your cruise. Get it out of your head otherwise you will not enjoy yourself.

This happens all the time. I do one of two things.....

One, I book my cruise and carefully select my cabin, one I will be happy with. Then I pay for it, all at once and be done. I don't ever check the price changes. I'm happy with what I paid and what I have and so be it. You';; probably always, always be able to find someone who got a better deal than you.

Or, I wait to book my cruise. Even on peak weeks you can almost always get a room. You have to go into this approach being less picky. If you don't get the cabin category you want that's a definate possibility but you go in feeling you have the best deal you could get.

what a great idea, especially after final payment. You can always find someone that got a slightly better deal than you got or claim they did. You can also find people who paid more. It is like a resort, airfare or whatever.

Nita

We felt we were treated poorly and that the promotion we accepted was a sham. We also wrote a letter directly to NCL, but as of yet, has gone unanswered.

I think "sham" is too strong a word. It's normal for prices to change in six months.

Worth considering though, is that when you book a cabin which includes a complementary upgrade, that benefiting from future price drops may become more complicated.

Archived