New Zealand currency in Australia

woodeagle

I understand there is an exit fee from NZ, so I plan on having sufficient NZD on hand. My question is, will NZD be accepted in Australia if I have some NZD left over?

Woodeagle

Exit fee through Auckland was removed some time ago. Not sure about Wellington and Christchurch.

$NZ & $US definitely NOT accepted in Aus-you'll have to exchange as per the usual method if you have any excess funds :) Spend it instead! I always come home from US with all those little 1c coins in my purse. We haven't had 1c & 2c coins in Aus for a long time

$NZ & $US definitely NOT accepted in Aus-you'll have to exchange as per the usual method if you have any excess funds :) Spend it instead! I always come home from US with all those little 1c coins in my purse. We haven't had 1c & 2c coins in Aus for a long time

Whats a 1c or 2c coin?

Oh do you not have 5 cent coins in NZ anymore? So do you round up or down by 10 cents?

I get pretty confused about US denominations with the dimes and quarters and the odd sizes and all the shades of green for the bills.

Of course our 5 cent, 10 cent and octagonal 50cent and $1 & $2 gold coins would be just as confusing to someone from another country (no offence meant!) although I do love that our notes are different colours.

Lots say that but really, if the 5c goes, why not the 10c and even 20c... or even 50c?

You can't buy much for less than a dollar anyway. There's as much argument for getting rid of it as other sub-1$ coins.

Rounding works well here though, most shops round up or down in line with the rules.

NZ money is similar enough to Aus money to be quite confusing! Their $1 & $2 coins are pretty much the opposite to ours, and their 50c is shaped like our 10c and their octagonals are only 20c (I think!) LOL!!! Oh and from memory their green note (ie an aussie $100 bill) is their $5'er.

Flew out form Christchurch on Sunday; no exit fee, other than what was in our fare already.

I get pretty confused about US denominations with the dimes and quarters and the odd sizes and all the shades of green for the bills.

I think that we must be the only country left which uses the same color scheme and size for all of its banknotes; seems silly once you've seen the way other countries vary these. But don't knock the dollar bill; some other countries which have eliminated their one-whatever banknote have substituted annoyingly heavy coins instead, so that a small expenditure requiring breaking a 5-whatever note results in a pocket full of jingling coins, or in the UK, a hole in the pocket from the chunky, heavy one-pound coins.

Without a 1c coin, how do your merchants give the illusion of lower prices? In the US, you'll see many items priced at, say, $4.99 which sounds better than $5.00.

Its a bit like asking can you use the Mexican peso in USA??:eek:

Why people can't get their heads around us being entirely different countries always puzzles me:mad:

I think some confusion comes with the fact that some areas in the US do take Canadian currency, I don't think it's a matter of not realizing it's two different countries (okay, well maybe for some it is). When my husband and I had a retail shop that was located on a tourist route from Canada, we always took Canadian bills (no coins-because the local bank wouldn't deposit the coin) and gave them a favorable rate.

In NZ there is no money less than 10 cent pieces- even those are tiny and a pain and are worth nothing anyhow.

The smallest coin you can use in a parking metre is 20 cents and it alters it by about 3-5 minutes.

Things get round up or round down.

Many NZers don't use cash all that much,

(of course it is still used)

choosing to use eftpos transactions instead.

Between NZ and Australia is ocean so we don't have the crossing of land borders as is the case with Canada and USA.

I think that we must be the only country left which uses the same color scheme and size for all of its banknotes; seems silly once you've seen the way other countries vary these. But don't knock the dollar bill; some other countries which have eliminated their one-whatever banknote have substituted annoyingly heavy coins instead, so that a small expenditure requiring breaking a 5-whatever note results in a pocket full of jingling coins, or in the UK, a hole in the pocket from the chunky, heavy one-pound coins.

Without a 1c coin, how do your merchants give the illusion of lower prices? In the US, you'll see many items priced at, say, $4.99 which sounds better than $5.00.

I totally agree with the $1 note thing. I preferred our old $1 & $2 notes as the coin is so heavy & can be bulky when you get a few.

In Australia we still have prices marked at $1.99 etc-when your total bill is added up it is rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents ie $4.02 is charged at $4.00 while $4.03 is charged at $4.05, the presumption being it all works out fairly in the end with some higher & some lower.

I totally agree with the $1 note thing. I preferred our old $1 & $2 notes as the coin is so heavy & can be bulky when you get a few.

In Australia we still have prices marked at $1.99 etc-when your total bill is added up it is rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents ie $4.02 is charged at $4.00 while $4.03 is charged at $4.05, the presumption being it all works out fairly in the end with some higher & some lower.

I wish we had it that way in here, instead we make pennies that cost more to make than they are worth. Doesn't make a lot of sense but change is hard.

Reminds me of the time about 5 years ago when I had a air freight consignment out of the States and they had been advised that Auckland was just across the Sydney harbour bridge and "why could it not be trucked".

Exit fee through Auckland was removed some time ago. Not sure about Wellington and Christchurch.
Wellington still requires payment at the airport.

Although Kiwi Kruzer is technically right that the fee is still there at Auckland, and simply collected when the ticket is issued, the point for the OP is that they would not need to save some spare NZD to cover that payment.

I really don't understand why WLG doesn't do the same. It is now the normal practice, after all. Personally, I often pre-empt the hassle by buying the sticker at some convenient moment other than when I'm actually departing WLG; sometimes, this includes when I've just arrived and I'm hanging around waiting for my friends to finish work and pick me up.

Reminds me of the time about 5 years ago when I had a air freight consignment out of the States and they had been advised that Auckland was just across the Sydney harbour bridge and "why could it not be trucked".

What an excellent story! :D

It's like people who hire a car in Sydney and think maybe they'll drive up to Brisbane for the afternoon.

I guess we all get a bit confused by the location and scale of other people's countries. I thought Bolivia was in Europe for quite a few years. :o

Archived