Are you as mad as me about the price gouging?

jandjfun

If you are as mad as I am about the price gouging and the way Carnival is handling canceled guest then you should do what I did and contact Good Morning America.

http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page?id=3...ning%20America

here is the link, and I used "submit a news item" in the drop down menu

This link should work. But if it doesn't

1. search "good morning America"

2. click on Consumer

3. scroll to the bottom of the page (blue section)

4. click on Contact us

5. Click on Contact Good Morning America

6. Fill in the form.

I am not mad at Carnival for canceling the cruises on the Splendor. It had to be done. But they way they handled it was wrong!

Not allowing us to cancel and transfer the booking to another ship without penalty and then 5 days later, they cancel our cruises and that same minute the prices double and triple on the other sailings! That is price gouging at it's finest. I know all about supply and demand and the computers probably reacting to a sudden onset of cruises getting rebooked, but when we called in, we should have been allowed to rebook at the price the cruise was the day before!

I am not aking for anything for free. Just fair!

A top maritime lawyer who often represents people suing cruise lines says he is turning away passengers from the fire-damaged Carnival Splendor who think they have a case against Carnival.

"Many ... have contacted our office seeking a maritime lawyer to sue the cruise line for damages," he writes on his website. "We have told them that there is no basis to consider suing Carnival under these circumstances. They are wasting their time and money if they file a lawsuit."

Criticizing other lawyers who are actively soliciting Splendor passengers, Walker goes on to offer three reasons why suing Carnival is a dumb idea.

First among them: In order to have a legitimate case for compensation, a cruise passenger has to suffer a personal injury.

"Experiencing inconvenience and unpleasant circumstances does not constitute a personal injury," Walker says. "If you fall down a flight of stairs in the dark and break your hip, that's a personal injury. But taking cold showers, smelling toilets that can't be flushed, eating Spam sandwiches in the dark or other similar 'cruise from hell' stories are not compensable."

Some people just ***** about everything!!!

Carival gave you back ALL your money for the cruise. They did more then they had too.

Some people are just unhappy bitchity people with no life unless they they *****.

Well it is well documented...check the new information, you should know this ??

I agree that Carnival is screwing TA's (I am not a TA) and groups..and singles

TA's now can not list deals lower than Carnival prices (ie, they can't list lower rates giving back their commissions).... I like this because now big tavel companies can not under cut me because they can take harldy anything for cammissions because they are working on volume. Now we are on even ground to work on.

groups?? TA's can only hold the group space for 30 days..then they "lose it"...so you need to get everyone to get their deposit in

and the deposit is now the full deposit...which is why those with CC groups are angry, they used to hold space with only $25 per person... You can still hold the space for $25 the time limit on this is now shorter. Also with only holding rooms for $25 we had alot of people hold rooms then drop out. The full deposit works out better because we have less drop outs now.

I think the main one it is hurting is CC group TA's that would hold group space for a long time and had a long time to sell that space. Most TA's do not work this way.

Singles?? they took away the 4a option of 150%...now singles pay 200% solo....plus the "invisable" person's port fees /taxes

a new rub is that for a group who books 10 or more solo cabins there is a surcharge of $40 per day on ALL the solo cabins to make up for the "missing" revenue

So....many singles want to book a cruise with roommate matching, a perk of a singles travel agent..however..that is no longer easy cause the TA must put together the group in 30 days...not easy

and.....before the TA could take a chance and put their own money on some cabins to round out the group but now they must have "real" people booked in them, real people with names, birthdates etc...

so it really hurts singles and groups. Carnival wants people to go 2x2 like Noah's ark I guess..

so yeah ta's and groups are screwed

~~~~~~~ regarding the "price gouge">> I do think it is supply and demand in this case....losing Splendor really puts a dent in the space available from West Coast

maybe try Royal ship out of California??

I do think it is just a business as usual decision that the prices went up...Carnival is taking a big hit on Splendor losses so I really can't blame them for raising prices to meet the demand

the 25% is good for 2 years, and you could always just vacation in California/maybe go to Vegas?

I am not happy with Carnival but at some level I understand their business decisions.....wonderful cruiselines like Home Lines, Sitmar , Windjammer fell by the wayside due to bad business decisions. Carnival Corp gobbled up others like Princess, HAL etc.

It is a business..not a fairy tale. However, as a consumer I am looking to lines that have more respect for singles and groups. NCL has some great ideas on the Epic....solo cabins with a singles lounge, singles host

that might be way of the future for those of us not on Noah's Ark <grin<

Like I said Carnivals new rules hurt CC'S TAs more than the other TAs. The new rules hurt the TA's who would hold group space for months not the ones who really have a group and book group space.

Like I said Carnivals new rules hurt CC'S TAs more than the other TAs. The new rules hurt the TA's who would hold group space for months not the ones who really have a group and book group space.

Just a FYI .. there is only one CC group TA. Not multiple ones. One lady at one firm.

Totally, you should start there, then just keep going abotu all your lives disappointments. Just make sure you post it under "Disappointed childhood Christmases" so people know to avoid it if they aren't into sharing such comiseration.

If you are so sick of reading it, why click on a thread that was obviously dedicated to complaining about the situation!? It was clearly titled by the OP. Obviously, you aren't sick enough of it, or you wouldn't intentionally subject yourself to it. You appear more interested in complaining about people complaining. Why take the time to even post?

Funny, you are actually the complainer about something that should not warrant any complaint by you at all - you PUT yourself right in the middle of this and it doesn't even apply to you, while you moan about others who have rightful frustration. That's weird. Why not jsut start a thread that says "Sick of Carnival Splendor whiners" then you can post all you want about it? And those of us affected can totally ignore it.

Skip a thread you aren't interested in, right?

I try to read some of all the threads.....some of them have a glimmer of useful info and you never know which thread it is.

They should allow anyone now.

Bet the official CC groups go way down with the end of $25 deposits.

The discount the TA was giving was a bigger deal to me than the $25 deposit which was only for the offered gtys. If you wanted a cove on Magic, or a 1A or some other cabin, you had to pay the full deposit. The price to me is going to be the bigger sticking point .. but we agree, CC groups sound to me like they might be hurting for new groups.

It hurts singles groups also

some "groups" are pretty much "sure thing" groups..

the jones/smith wedding group will have many people book it to celebrate with the couple, wedding party, relatives, some friends...they all know they are going and they book

the "wilson" family reunion will decide to book a cruise and again have many book it quickly

the "apex sales" company decides to reward it's top salespeople and they just book it

but....a singles cruise is different....you have various people from various backgrounds, ideas, interests, areas of country, sometimes various ages etc...all with one thing in common, being single and usually want to save on costs by sharing room, and/or want to have some people to hang out with

the decision is not as cut and dry as the "wedding" group etc...

and yes, this really is bad for singles since they have now made us pay double plus

In the interest of trying to help people salvage pre-booked vacations and airfare to LAX, have you had a look at Expedia flight and hotel packages? I see Waikiki starting at $683pp, Cancun $617pp, Acapulco $653, Puerto Vallarta $535. That was just 5 minutes playing on Expedia, it could probably be done cheaper just getting the cheapest airfare to HNL, CUN, ACA or PVR and using Priceline for a hotel. Date 28 Nov-4 Dec.

I gotta say, after reading all these threads, I have spent the last week doing a Plan B in case anything unusual or unexpected happens to my cruise in April. I'm using miles in J class from Australia which have to be booked 11 months in advance or you can't get the seats period so a date change is not an option as the miles class would be sold out.

I hope everyone is able to find a suitable solution and a great vacation, it sucks to have to to all this at the last minute when most people plan months in advance.

Was on the Spirit 11/12. We met a couple that was on the Splendor, as soon after the tugs got them docked they book the Spirit. They didn't fool around & wait to transfer. They knew they will get there money back plus the 25%.

They said they paid slightly more than they paid for the Splendor.

Archived