Are you as mad as me about the price gouging?

jandjfun

If you are as mad as I am about the price gouging and the way Carnival is handling canceled guest then you should do what I did and contact Good Morning America.

http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page?id=3...ning%20America

here is the link, and I used "submit a news item" in the drop down menu

This link should work. But if it doesn't

1. search "good morning America"

2. click on Consumer

3. scroll to the bottom of the page (blue section)

4. click on Contact us

5. Click on Contact Good Morning America

6. Fill in the form.

I am not mad at Carnival for canceling the cruises on the Splendor. It had to be done. But they way they handled it was wrong!

Not allowing us to cancel and transfer the booking to another ship without penalty and then 5 days later, they cancel our cruises and that same minute the prices double and triple on the other sailings! That is price gouging at it's finest. I know all about supply and demand and the computers probably reacting to a sudden onset of cruises getting rebooked, but when we called in, we should have been allowed to rebook at the price the cruise was the day before!

I am not aking for anything for free. Just fair!

Pity- Carnival was doing so well until that moment- everyone was saluting the company for its positive customer service.

No, not everyone! Only those that were either not involved and had nothing to do with it, or the ones that were happy to pay a lot more money for their cruise.

The rest of us are PO'd! :mad:

Many people have reported that when they contacted guest services on the link that someone from carnival has been providing .. that their price was price protected.

If this is a CC group cruise .. of course they wouldnt protect any discount the TA gave you .. but seems some want the price protected AND they want the 25% on the protected price.

Help us understand why you are upset. (over and above the TAs discount you will lose since it was behind Carnival's back so they took steps to stop discounting). Many of us just dont get it ..

They didn't say that until I called to rebook. If I took the price protection, I wouldn't be getting any discount. The new sailing was basically the same price as what I previously paid (price was on their website). They wouldn't give the 25% off that particular sailing even though the email said ANY sailing. I was just looking to rebook for Jan 30 with the 25% off. They refused, I'm out a vacation at the last minute and my daughter didn't get her annual birthday cruise. Now the price has increased a huge amount so that the 25% off doesn't even bring the price even close to the original price it was listed at. Very disappointing.

No, not everyone! Only those that were either not involved and had nothing to do with it, or the ones that were happy to pay a lot more money for their cruise.

The rest of us are PO'd! :mad:

The point I was making was that PRIOR to the apparent increase in cost for the cruises people thought they had handled things well- and only after THAT happened people got angry. And now apparently there is a number to call to correct that- which may again repair their reputation as it relates to this entire experience.

Many people have reported that when they contacted guest services on the link that someone from carnival has been providing .. that their price was price protected.

If this is a CC group cruise .. of course they wouldnt protect any discount the TA gave you .. but seems some want the price protected AND they want the 25% on the protected price.

Help us understand why you are upset. (over and above the TAs discount you will lose since it was behind Carnival's back so they took steps to stop discounting). Many of us just dont get it ..

It was not a group cruise. I booked it directly through Carnival.

1. I tried to transfer our booking to the Spirit as soon as the Splendor got to SD. I was told we could not cancel the Splendor without penalty of 100% of the cruise fare.

2. 5 days later, they cancel our cruise and the prices on the Spirit immediately tripled! 1009.00 for an interior cabin per person.

3. I wrote to the link that John gave us, and was basically told tough luck.

4. We can't rebook to a cruise on the east coast because airfare 9 days from the date they canceled us is over well 500 bucks per person.

5. I asked if we could book the Spirit for the same sailing date at the same price as we paid for the Splendor and we were told no. We had to pay 900.00 more.

John stated on his blog or on FB that if you having these types of problems, to call Carnival and it will be taken care of. Is that not the case? I am confused.

The point I was making was that PRIOR to the apparent increase in cost for the cruises people thought they had handled things well- and only after THAT happened people got angry. And now apparently there is a number to call to correct that- which may again repair their reputation as it relates to this entire experience.

I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes, most everything was fine until they started price gouging. I didn't call any number, but I did email the link that John gave out on FB.

If there is a number, can you tell me what it is please?

Anyone who does not want to pay any additional funds....

don't book the cruise.

simple.....no one is putting a gun to your head and FORCING you to book a cruise.

Carnival does not OWE anyone the same cruise at the same price for the same day. That is ridiculous.

You got your money back.... you have at least a year (maybe more) to use the 25%.....

Do the very same thing we did when our holiday cruise was cancelled because the ships were being used for Katrina......

we booked a cruise 6 or 7 months later.....period.

I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes, most everything was fine until they started price gouging. I didn't call any number, but I did email the link that John gave out on FB.

If there is a number, can you tell me what it is please?

Sorry- I don't have a number but above it seems to suggest that you just call Carnival. But since that is always a hit or miss experience- Does John's blog say anything more specific? Or perhaps others who are actually doing this might know.

I have gotten the idea that at first they were not price matching, but now they are on a case by case basis. I would contact the link again .. and say you know they are now price matching .. and you want the same.

Thank you. I just received my email from them this morning, but I will do as you suggest and see what happens.

Sorry- I don't have a number but above it seems to suggest that you just call Carnival. But since that is always a hit or miss experience- Does John's blog say anything more specific? Or perhaps others who are actually doing this might know.

Thank you. I have only heard about the link. I will try calling the regular number as well.

This also begs the question....

the people who are throwing a hissy fit to have the exact same cruise, on the same day for the same price.....

are they going to give up the 25% discount .... since they are no longer inconvenienced?

Anyone want to lay odds they want "everything their way" PLUS the 25% discount?

PS-Prices on the Spirit in early Jan are now about $500 pp for an inside room. Have NO idea what they were last week or before this. Just noting.

Thanks. We wanted to go on the Splendor originally. We would have settled for the Spirit just so we could use our vacation time on a cruise. We have been on the Spirit before and were looking forward to a different ship. But thanks for tying to help.

the people who are throwing a hissy fit to have the exact same cruise, on the same day for the same price.....

are they going to give up the 25% discount .... since they are no longer inconvenienced?

The 25% discount was to compensate people for the inconvenience. Seems to me that even if they leave on the same day there has been a fair amount of inconvenience not knowing what was happening and having to rebook, etc. Hiking the prices up 25% negates the discount and thus any compensation and thus loses the company the goodwill that this compensation was supposed to engender.

That is your opinion. Because you don't know how long the 25% is good for, you obviously are not affected by this price gouging. So how can you even have a opinion, you do not stand in our shoes. When they canceled the katrina cruises, did they price gouge you guys? Is that their normal practice?

I was booked on Fantasy that was cancelled and replaced by Triumph. Carnival offered $50 off the price period .. at the higher Triumph rate.

Or a refund.

I know you have 2 years (not 1) to use the 25% credit .. and Im one who is still confused, .. is this all over the fact you want to book only one ship, one exact week ..or is there other money you are out?

For us to have the same exact cruise on the same exact day, for the same price is impossible. The Splendor caught on fire, remember? So to ask that doesn't even make sense.

Those of us that were asking to go on the Spirit would not be going to the same ports, not be going on a larger ship with more amenities, and would not be going on the same day.

As far as the 25% discount, I asked Carnival if we could transfer the booking to the Spirt and forgo the 25% discount, and I was told no. We would have to pay about 900.00 per person more.

don't book the cruise.

simple.....no one is putting a gun to your head and FORCING you to book a cruise.

Carnival does not OWE anyone the same cruise at the same price for the same day. That is ridiculous.

You got your money back.... you have at least a year (maybe more) to use the 25%.....

Do the very same thing we did when our holiday cruise was cancelled because the ships were being used for Katrina......

I think what is happeneing is people have the time off scheduled already. For those that are not retired and can go whenever, it is more difficult with work and school schedules.

Not to mention you wait months for a vacation, of course you want to go when you planned.

Toni

don't book the cruise.

Well said!

That is your opinion. Because you don't know how long the 25% is good for, you obviously are not affected by this price gouging. So how can you even have a opinion, you do not stand in our shoes. When they canceled the katrina cruises, did they price gouge you guys? Is that their normal practice?

Didn't you just book that cruise as a last minute a couple of weeks before the fire? Seems to me that you lucked out with getting a 25% which is good up to 2 years for another cruise. You didn't get disappointed by booking maybe 6 months ago to find it cancelled, etc. Wait for the prices to drop on another date, use your 25% and stop complaining!

If you are as mad as I am about the price gouging and the way Carnival is handling canceled guest then you should do what I did and contact Good Morning America.

http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page?id=3...ning%20America

here is the link, and I used "submit a news item" in the drop down menu

This link should work. But if it doesn't

1. search "good morning America"

2. click on Consumer

3. scroll to the bottom of the page (blue section)

4. click on Contact us

5. Click on Contact Good Morning America

6. Fill in the form.

I am not mad at Carnival for canceling the cruises on the Splendor. It had to be done. But they way they handled it was wrong!

Not allowing us to cancel and transfer the booking to another ship without penalty and then 5 days later, they cancel our cruises and that same minute the prices double and triple on the other sailings! That is price gouging at it's finest. I know all about supply and demand and the computers probably reacting to a sudden onset of cruises getting rebooked, but when we called in, we should have been allowed to rebook at the price the cruise was the day before!

I am not aking for anything for free. Just fair!

Carnival was exceptional in the way they handled the situation.

Kudos to Carnival for exceptional fairness and super customer service.

Archived