Body scanners, More likely not to fly to cruise?

derf5585

I for one just cancelled a Connie cruise due to the effort to fly. The benefit from a vacation no longer offsets the effort of flying (for me at least)

No thankyou. I will forgo air travel for the foreseeable future and the airlines, cruiselines, hotels and government will do with out my money.

The riff raff terrorists and their western apologists have already won. It is all part of the slide towards the end and nothing we do or say will change fate.

I hope that all the good folks who still fly remain safe and arrive to enjoy their cruises.

I for one just cancelled a Connie cruise due to the effort to fly. The benefit from a vacation no longer offsets the effort of flying (for me at least)

No thankyou. I will forgo air travel for the foreseeable future and the airlines, cruiselines, hotels and government will do with out my money.

The riff raff terrorists and their western apologists have already won. It is all part of the slide towards the end and nothing we do or say will change fate.

I hope that all the good folks who still fly remain safe and arrive to enjoy their cruises.

Wow...that's depressing....:(

I viewed ,via U Tube ,disgusting treatment of a 4 year old boy with leg braces .The TSA made the parents take off the leg braces to go thru the scanner. Another disgusting case was the pat down of a 3 year old girl . Imo TSA is way over the top & from what I can gather in the news people across the country are up in arms over the TSA's pat downs & other inappropriate tactics .

We will fly one more time in April because we can't cancel the airfare . If I could I would & the 2 cruises B2B we have booked . We will NOT support such ugly behavior by the TSA by spending our money . If this persists then we will only take land /driving vacations .

Good old basic consumer economic's 101... Voting with your wallet is really the only power left to us to affect change in the market place.

Good luck with your decision.

Srpilo

I've written my senator, congressman, called the Department of Home land Security, signed petitions....I do not want to go through the scanner or the pat down. I think DHS has heard from many people that this new bodyscanner/pat down stepped over the line. We will fly when we have to and I hope we can get some sanity back. The terrorist win when our civil rights and liberties are taken away from us. Donna

So far you are the only person on this thread that gets it. You don't like it you stay home. Otherwise travel and deal with it. Don't 'opt out' and ruin traveling on Thanksgiving for every one else. Just stay home, walk or drive toget where you need to be...

LOL Fox NEWS!!! It is not news it is biased opinions and nothing else.....

I suspect an FOIA request would produce that data quite quickly.

Their news is just that, and more balanced than the slanted output from Katie, NPR et al.

Their opinion shows are indeed strong, and I rarely watch them, but still preferable to and more adult than the rantings on MSNBC; bottom line is on Fox you can tell which is which and choose accordingly, unlike many others.

I agree, there are news programs and opinion programs. O'Reilly is an opinion show and admits it, he also has more people on in one night who disagree with him then the two twits on MSNBC have in a month combined. I think some of these complainers either never watch Fox News or are just plain jealous that their monopoly of the left wing media is over.

Maybe there is something wrong with me but I accept the world the way it is. I would much rather be subjected to security procedures than run the risk of attacks on, or with, airplanes. The new procedures don't bother me at all. Based on everything I know I'd prefer the scanner to a body pat down but would rather be subjected to either than to forgo my travel plans.

I just don't think it is a big deal. To the contrary - I believe that our interests are being protected.

So when did the fourth amendment (The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized) become inoperative? Are we, as air travelers, guilty of probable cause simply because we want to go from point a to point b?

Will cavity probes be next? If not why not and who will decide which cavities and the nature of the probes to be employed?

Benjamin Franklin:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Source

I agree, there are news programs and opinion programs. O'Reilly is an opinion show and admits it, he also has more people on in one night who disagree with him then the two twits on MSNBC have in a month combined. I think some of these complainers either never watch Fox News or are just plain jealous that their monopoly of the left wing media is over.

Fox news is a joke. And in no way am I jealous. I find it pathetic that people will forego the joy of traveling to prove a point. This is how the world is today. Deal with it, but you are not putting my life in danger for your me me me ideas. We no longer have the right of absolute freedom and we never will again. The sooner you accept that the happier you will be.

Fox news is a joke. And in no way am I jealous. I find it pathetic that people will forego the joy of traveling to prove a point. This is how the world is today. Deal with it, but you are not putting my life in danger for your me me me ideas. We no longer have the right of absolute freedom and we never will again. The sooner you accept that the happier you will be.

With due respect I don't get your point here ;because we continue to shed American blood for our freedom & rights .Nuff said

My wife and I flew to St Martin two weeks ago and were subject to the increased security checks in Detroit, Philadelphia, Charlotte, and of course St Martin. My wife has two knee replacements so we knew she would be checked. So........ Please get over it folks. The 30 seconds of inconvienence is a small price to maybe stopping some nutcase terrorist. The female TSA agent who patted down my wife was polite, proficient and professional. The agent took the "personality" out of it and was just doing her job. My wife was more concerned with getting the carry ons off the conveyor and keeping track of her purse!

As for the TSA....... they are under tremendous pressure to check thousands and thousands every day with no margin for error and we cut them no slack. They have a thankless job with the public who are ready to pounce on them for a perceived loss of freedom.

Here is hoping you don't get stuck behind someone who is trying to prove a point while waiting in line at the security check point cause' the plane and cruise ship won't wait.

Rob

With due respect I don't get your point here ;because we continue to shed American blood for our freedom & rights .Nuff said

With due respect back at ya my Dad was a decorated war hero so this has nothing to do with shedding American blood. The facts are facts, we can't just waltz onto a plane anymore. We will never be able to that again. You have to learn to deal with this. It is now a fact of life. Your freedom is not worth me flying on a plane with that people haven't been scanned or groped. The ideal flight would be every body naked and no one moves till we land!!!

I have to admit, I have not read the entire thread so if I repeat something, please forgive me. I wonder where the searches will end - if terrorists hide things in their shoes, we all have to take ours off, if they hide something in their underwear, we have to be patted in a very intrusive manner or zapped with cancer causing rays. So what if someone tries to smuggle something on board a plane in a body cavity? Do we go to cavity searches???? Where will this madness end? I know for a fact that TSA does not check to make sure that bags that are checked actually have their owner on board the plane - my DH and I were waiting to board our flight recently and I saw my suitcase (with my special markings) on a transport heading into the terminal and away from the plane. We spoke to the attendant and were told there was no way to cross check the luggage on board with those who were boarding. I even had my barcoded luggage tags but they said they weren't able to check. We caused enough of a complaint that someone did check and my suitcase was added just as the doors were closing. What is to stop a terrorist from checking a bag and never boarding the plane? That is more likely than hiding it in any of the "private" areas that are being patted down by TSA employees. We need to find practical ways to be safe without getting carried away. Just my 2 cents. We will skip flying whenever possible due to the new security methods.

What is to stop a terrorist from checking a bag and never boarding the plane?

Some years ago I was in a N. African country which was having internal problems. Boarding the plane was old style - walk out and up the stairs (in this case a 727 so had its own stairs). Between the terminal and the plane was piled all the checked baggage. You had to pick your bags and place them upon a flatbed trailer sitting there. If any bag was left on the ground the plane went nowhere until its owner was found. Lo-tech, not totally foolproof but pretty effective.

YES! I DID!

And I hope many many others will do the same. And here's what I wrote:

QUOTE:

If a person needs to have one’s genital touched, or one’s prosthesis breast removed, or one’s urostomy bag damaged in order to board a plane, then the terrorists have already won the war. They do not need to bomb another plane – they can simply look at our airports full of completely demeaned citizens and laugh at us. Through the hands of the TSA, the terrorists have stripped us of our dignity and privacy.

As far as security is concerned, neither end of the extremes works: On one extreme everyone just walks through without any security checks; on another extreme every passenger needs to be completely stripped naked and go through a cavity check. The TSA needs to seek a balance that can reasonably detect weapons but at the same time preserving our citizen’s dignity. The TSA has failed in the aspect of preserving our dignity.

We as a nation cannot win the war against terrorism until the dignity and self-respect of the flying public is restored. Until then, you will continue to find airports full of humiliated citizens, including people with disabilities or medical problems, young adults, and children. And until then, the terrorists will continue laughing at us.

UNQUOTE

I will also write to my local congressman and I strongly encourage everyone to do likewise. Be critical of the government, especially at a time when so much of our dignity and privacy have been taken away.

What is to stop a terrorist from checking a bag and never boarding the plane?..........
This remark reminded me of the system used after 9/11 when they used to match all passengers with their checked bags and pulled the bags off if a passenger did not fly. We had more than one flight detained when they unloaded all the luggage, made all the passengers get off the plane, identify our bags on the tarmac, reboard, and then wait while they reloaded all the luggage.

Since installation of the EDS systems at major airports, they no longer need to do that so they don't care whether or not your bags travel on the same flight with you.

They are more strict on some international connections, especially when a change of carrier is involved, where they don't always let passengers check bags all the way through to the final destination but in some cases make us claim them at the connecting airport and then re-check them for the next flight.

One advantage the old matching system had though was that your bags would always arrive on the same flight with you.

If you are talking to me, I accept what we have to do in todays world...I'm traveling over Christmas and have three other trips planned. I don't have a problem with it.

Hmmm. I am wondering now that the TSA appears to be backing down from some of its more invasive procedures if those who felt safer with them will now not fly because they are not as safe!?!

The terrorist organization is reporting they spent $4200 on the latest toner cartirdge cell phone bombs and we are spending BILLIONS. Why aren't the same people who are for these invasive procedures demanding the same scrutiny of the cargo that flies on the same planes as passengers?

No one in this thread has said what they will do when the TSA starts this before you board a cruise ship. Think it won't happen?

We are thankful that due to the enhanced security we can feel much safer getting on a plane. I would rather be scanned than blown into a million pieces.

As for all the hyperbole objecting to it, get over it. Terrorism as we know it has no respect for age or sex, therefore, EVERYONE including granny and babies. should be checked.

No one in this thread has said what they will do when the TSA starts this before you board a cruise ship. Think it won't happen?

I have earlier in the thread but nobody picked up on it.

Do you think we should start a new thread

"Body scans or pat downs before a cruise"

We are thankful that due to the enhanced security we can feel much safer getting on a plane. I would rather be scanned than blown into a million pieces.

As for all the hyperbole objecting to it, get over it. Terrorism as we know it has no respect for age or sex, therefore, EVERYONE including granny and babies. should be checked.

What no one will talk about is that this security theatre is actually resulting in more actual deaths as more people are choosing to travel by car instead of be inconvenienced by the TSA.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/18/the-hidden-costs-of-extra-airport-security/

Other passengers may substitute car travel for air travel. But this too has its consequences, since car travel is much more dangerous than air travel over all. According to the Cornell study, roughly 130 inconvenienced travelers died every three months as a result of additional traffic fatalities brought on by substituting ground transit for air transit. That’s the equivalent of four fully-loaded Boeing 737s crashing each year.

Would we be allowed to wear jeans at the start of a cruise, when the TSA pats us down?

If you book a Suite, do you get patted down by one of the more attractive female agents?

Oh, and if you enjoy the way they grope you, are you supposed to tip them?

Archived