MDR Food Flexibility

ihopfar

My parents' first cruise was on RCCL a couple of years ago. Not sure if it was an RCCL thing or the ship (Majesty of the seas, I believe) or their waiter, but they had no flexibility when ordering dinner entrees -- everything appeared to be plated ahead of time and they were not allowed to substitue at all. The flexiblity they were looking for was to substitue a side dish from another entree on the menu intead of the side that came with the entree they were ordering. Or to hold a sauce or other ingredient -- not ones that would have been added ahead of time in the prepeartion but could be held during cooking or plating. (They did offer to bring both entrees, the one with the entree they wanted and the other with the side dish they wanted, but that seems like a waste of food.)

Their next cruise was on NCL Jewel and they had no problem getting this flexibility they desired. We had the same experience on the NCL Pearl and the NCL Jewel.

So, now we are going on Carnival next year (the Pride if it matters) and am wondering should we expect our experience to be more like RCCL or NCL when it comes to food preparation in the MDR?

I am not trying to get into a debate about the difficulty of providing this kind of flexibility and know how difficult it is for a cruise line to serve as many meals as it does. I am just trying to set my expectations for what I know will be a wonderful cruise either way.

Thanks,

Brad

They absolutely will. Carnival and Princess are both very helpful in this regard as I cannot eat certain things. They will give you the full plate most likely or leave something off if you do not need it and then give you whatever else you want as a side.

Im pretty sure that the plates are pre "plated" as you say they were on RCL, and that substituting wont work on Carnival, but you are free and welcome to order more than one entree if you want to combine items. I know that many people do this without a problem. Hope it works out for you and your travel companions.:)

I've had no problems with getting things my way but I try to avoid hassles so it something has a bit of sauce on it, I'll still eat it.

BUT they will normally accomodate you as I have yet to be on a cruise that wouldn't. Think about how their process works, essentially they have a few thousand meals to make so almost everything is pre-plated but they can order one without something..... It seems like every time I ordered two or three lobsters, they would bring me the entire plate with sides until I asked to do otherwise.

Im pretty sure that the plates are pre "plated" as you say they were on RCL, and that substituting wont work on Carnival, but you are free and welcome to order more than one entree if you want to combine items. I know that many people do this without a problem. Hope it works out for you and your travel companions.:)

Love the MDR for the relaxed atmosphere! I was irked at first when I didn't want certain sides and they would deliver them along with the ones I requested (Hated the waste); then I realized it was all pre-plated and my server didn't have a problem so why should I? I'll often order fries and/or rice on the side. Order all you want, and eat what you want! :)

If the entree comes with potatos== that is what you get.

if you want the side of mcaroni and cheese--yu would have to order the entree that comes with the mac and cheese.

Here is the sample menu- look at the entree an what it comes with-- it is what it is.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalSensation/menus/index.htm

If the entree comes with potatos== that is what you get.

if you want the side of mcaroni and cheese--yu would have to order the entree that comes with the mac and cheese.

You can order the side of another entree and get it by itself as an "extra".

On a funny side note, one night I ordered the Mac n Cheese side from another entree as an extra side. It came in a small bowl and was very creamy and delicious. The next night my DW thought she'd do the same thing; well it wasn't a listed side so they brought this LARGE bowl of somewhat dry Mac n Cheese to her with her other ordered food. The Server explained it was only offered as a main entree on the kids menu that night. lol. She was embarrassed by all the food in front of her!

Remember: You can order off the kids menu also, including desserts (Banana Splits!).

OP your parents can absolutely order what they want from the menus and have it without sauces etc. My dh will not eat anything with gravy or the extra sauces that often come on the entrees. He orders the entrees plain and asks that certain dishes be left off his plate. The waiters have always accomodated this request. There have been instances where he's had to be firm about not having the sauces on his plate but they have served what he's asked for :)

Archived