All Spinnakers in jeopardy?

mikewrit

Does anyone hereabouts know what NCL plans for the Spinnaker Lounges on the rest of the fleet following the conversion of the Star's observation lounge to upscale villas? We really missed the old Spinnaker on our Panama passage. When we booked that cruise we did not know the change had been made since our Alaska inside passage cruise on the Star. I probably will not consider another cruise on the Star because it doesn't have a high, forward observation lounge.

Does anyone hereabouts know what NCL plans for the Spinnaker Lounges on the rest of the fleet following the conversion of the Star's observation lounge to upscale villas? We really missed the old Spinnaker on our Panama passage. When we booked that cruise we did not know the change had been made since our Alaska inside passage cruise on the Star. I probably will not consider another cruise on the Star because it doesn't have a high, forward observation lounge.

I have been told, by those who ought to know, that that is, indeed, NCL's plan.

The Dawn will go in for her Star-ification in May. :(

PE

Glad I am going to be on her in December then. Although quite truthfully we have never spent much time in there anyway when on the Pearl. But was thinking we might spend some time in there if we do to to Alaska next summer. I hope they don't do this on the Pearl anytime soon.

I really think this is a shame especially for those that do not book balcony's especially. The only thing that I think would even make it not so bad is that if they do move the Spinnaker to the stern that at least they should have windows of some sort.

It is a little sad. Those forward lounges were awesome to catch a drink and watch the sea go by 14 stories high.

But lets face it, it is all about money. NCL sells out suites faster than regular rooms. More high end suites sells that valuable square feet quite well.

But in reality, it makes a smaller ship because it is one less place to go party. I know on the Jewel, the Spinnaker lounge hosted late night comedy with Second City, White Hot Party, trivia, and is a nightclub at night.

So it will have an impact on those ships :(

The Dawn will be changed but we still have a few years to enjoy Jewel and Pearl.

I have been told, by those who ought to know, that that is, indeed, NCL's plan.

thats to bad and i know we wont like the changes to the STAR when we sail her in February...we LIKED the Spinnaker where it was and the Blue Lagoon too and planning next year on the DAWN, but she will be "changed" by then:(

Will this happen to the Sun also?

Anything is possible. But the observation lounge is not nearly as large as the Spinnaker Lounge. Also it not just the Spinnaker that is being built out into cabins it is also the areas including meeting rooms library and cinema of the Star ans Dawn. Ships like the Pearl and her sisters do not have this same configuration. So, we shall see.

PE

I have always spent sea days in Spinaker reading, watching to sea go by and last January(Star Panama Canal) , thousands of dolphins. Whale spoutings etc will all go unobserved. Such a shame. No panoramic view of where you're headed. This pisses me off.:mad:

The Dawn will go in for her Star-ification in May. :(

PE

I thought the May 2011 dry dock was for diesel electric generator replacement and azipod service. I seem to recall hearing that major rehab was out into late 2012.

Either way it's sad especially for those of us who cannot afford the cabins that replace the Spinnakers.

Just checked the NCL website for Dawn deck plan. Bookings after April 30th still shows Spinnakers...

I thought the May 2011 dry dock was for diesel electric generator replacement and azipod service. I seem to recall hearing that major rehab was out into late 2012.

Either way it's sad especially for those of us who cannot afford the cabins that replace the Spinnakers.

Just checked the NCL website for Dawn deck plan. Bookings after April 30th still shows Spinnakers...

The May drydock was going to be to replace the engine but was lengthened to accomplish all the things that were originally planned for October 2011. The October 2011 drydock was subsequently canceled.

The deck plans for the Star changes took a long time to be modified also. Do you remember the threads that were going on here when all of that was going on? :eek:

PE

I know its all about $ for NCL and they won't be getting any of ours on ships they do this to. After 6 cruises on the Star, I can't imagine not having Spinnakers to enjoy. It's a deal breaker for this family. I hope they leave the jewel class ships alone.

We sailed our first cruise on the Star after the change of the Spinnaker so we had no experience of the original floor plan. That being said there were plenty of windows to watch the scenery on the 6th and 7th decks. We did peek into the Spinnaker several times and had no urge to go in there. It was not inviting. The evening shows were popular, but we are not late night people. I will still sail on a ship that does not have a forward lounge. There is more to do on a cruise than sit in a lounge.

I will not sail n the Star again since they changed Spinnakers. It was the ultimate place for whale watching and sight-seeing. With many eyes on the lookout, people on the other side of the room would alert everyone when they spotted pods of whales on their side and vice verse.

Even getting a balcony room is no comparison. Being on a balcony alone is like watching a football game on TV instead of at the stadium. Some prefer to be alone, but I like the roar of the crowd.

The Spinnaker Lounge is my favorite spot on the ship! It's where I go to relax, read and watch the magnificent ocean in front of me! Absolutely awesome views.....I am looking forward to the Spinnaker in January on my Jewel cruise. I will have to savor it as it might be the last time I am able to enjoy it... :(

I thought the purpose of the Spinnaker was to sell drinks and entertain at night? The only time we have really used it during the day was on the Pearl in Alaska in May (whale watching out of the cold) and even then not a lot of people were in there. They seem to be trying new entertainment options at night instead of just dancing - I am sure to get more action, but I have never really seen the Spinnaker used for much during the day. I think for the jewel class ships the alternative entertainment (game shows, comedy, etc) may save it.

Here's hoping on the Jewel class ships that they do keep Spinnakers. Especially the Norwegian Jewel where the alternative is the Fyzz Lounge. With staterooms directly above the Fyzz Lounge it would be silly to relocate the evening disco there because the bass would have to be curtailed and noise complaints would likely still flow from the cabins immediately above it.

The current location of the Spinnakers lounge on the Jewel has the spa beneath is so if they do pump up the bass it doesn't bother anyone. Likewise if they remove the shops aft (which are a waste of space) and put in a Bliss there with bowling alley and such again you'd have the same problem with the aft cabins on Deck 8. :cool:

Here's hoping the Jewel class retains the Spinnakers and that it's just the Star/Dawn that are losing them.

Speaking from the experience of my many trips on the Star, the Spinnaker was the most under utilized area of the ship. It was vacant during most of the days or less than a dozen people were using it. I fully understand NCL's decision to convert into a revenue producing part of the ship.

On sea days the Spinnaker's Lounge was hardly under utilized on the Jewel. Port days most everywhere on the ship is not used to the max. If that were the case the ship wouldn't have any public space! :( I'm all for keeping the Spinnaker's Lounge - especially on the Jewel class.

I highly doubt the Jewel-class ships will be losing their Spinnakers since they already have courtyards. The Star and Dawn had fewer suites than the Jewel-class, so I can see where NCL would want to shift their cashflow from bar sales to suite fares in that space. I think the same move on a Jewel-class ship would be less beneficial to NCL since the Spinnaker on these ships bring in a lot of bar revenue once the sun goes down (most CD entertainment and many of the disco nights take place in there on this class of ship). Since the Jewel-class ships already have a number of suites including the courtyard and family villas, they probably would stand to make more from bar proceeds than adding a handful more suites. Then again, I am no economist and don't know NCL's current plans for these ships.

The only thing we can do is to talk with our wallets and NOT book the star or any other modified ship. I know I won't.

Many others are also talking with their wallets and booking the new suites that are where the Spinnaker was. I assume since the Star is sailing with all cabins filled, it was a good decision to put suites in that area.

Archived